2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Danjam

Tiger Cub
Oct 16, 2022
Bit of a hypothetical to mull over…. If we were to finish the season with a top 1-2 pick, would we consider splitting it for two top 10-12 picks or just take it to the draft and go best available?
Personally if we finish with pick 2 for instance I would seriously consider an offer of a 5-7 range pick and another 10-12 range pick. Spreads the risk out and increases the chance of picking up a couple gun mids especially if you combine with potentially points trades and a pick for baker in a trade. Could end up with say 6,11,12(Baker pick from Fremantle) and 15 (points trade with Carlton or Brisbane). Plus hopefully another early/mid second rounder left over).

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Bit of a hypothetical to mull over…. If we were to finish the season with a top 1-2 pick, would we consider splitting it for two top 10-12 picks or just take it to the draft and go best available?
Personally if we finish with pick 2 for instance I would seriously consider an offer of a 5-7 range pick and another 10-12 range pick. Spreads the risk out and increases the chance of picking up a couple gun mids especially if you combine with potentially points trades and a pick for baker in a trade. Could end up with say 6,11,12(Baker pick from Fremantle) and 15 (points trade with Carlton or Brisbane). Plus hopefully another early/mid second rounder left over).
You don’t split a pick 1 or 2 for a couple of picks in the 10-12 range.

Historical, pick 1 produces an All-Australian every two picks. Pick 2 every 2.2 picks. Pick 6-10 produces an All-Australian ever 4.8 picks and pick 11-20 every 5.7 picks!

We need quality more than quantity right now so we should definitely hold on to any high picks we can get.

Reactions: 8 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Not for me. The only time I'd do it is if you already had a bunch of high draft picks in a certain position (lets say mids) and the KP players aren't in that area of the draft, ie. I'd trade down for needs, but in our scenario I'm taking the top 2 pick every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Reactions: 8 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Trent Cotchin (pick 2) or Jarrad Grant (5) and Patrick Vezpremi (11)?
Or Dustin Martin (3) or Gary Rohan (6) and Lewis Jetta (14). This is what Sydney offered us for pick 3 back in 2009.

Lesson here is top 3 picks are off limits when it comes to splitting picks.

Reactions: 12 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Or Dustin Martin (3) or Gary Rohan (6) and Lewis Jetta (14). This is what Sydney offered us for pick 3 back in 2009.

Lesson here is top 3 picks are off limits when it comes to splitting picks.
What about 2013. Trade pick 1, 2 or 3 for picks 4 and 13
Pick 1 Tom Boyd
Pick 2 Josh Kelly
Pick 3 Jack Billings

Pick 4 Marcus Bontempelli
Pick 13 Patrick Cripps.
:giggle:
might be the exception. I doubt if we would pick theose players.
Probably end up with Scharenbeg or Freeman knowing our luck

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Agree with others, keep the top pick, be it 1,2 or 3. And this may be the frustrating thing if the injured troops come back and we start to win inconsequential games later in the season. We could go from say a top 3 or 4 pick to a 7 or 8.

Reactions: 1 user

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
It’s a great rabbit hole to go down.

its 2006 and we’re holding pick 1. Trade for 7 and 13?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
What about 2013. Trade pick 1, 2 or 3 for picks 4 and 13
Pick 1 Tom Boyd
Pick 2 Josh Kelly
Pick 3 Jack Billings

Pick 4 Marcus Bontempelli
Pick 13 Patrick Cripps.
:giggle:
might be the exception. I doubt if we would pick theose players.
Probably end up with Scharenbeg or Freeman knowing our luck

Can you do the same 2013 one with Pick 5 and 12

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
One such example that sticks in my mind is Sydney offering Richmond picks 6 (Gary Rohan) and 14 (Lewis Jetta) for pick 3 (Dustin Martin).

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
You don’t split a pick 1 or 2 for a couple of picks in the 10-12 range.

Historical, pick 1 produces an All-Australian every two picks. Pick 2 every 2.2 picks. Pick 6-10 produces an All-Australian ever 4.8 picks and pick 11-20 every 5.7 picks!

We need quality more than quantity right now so we should definitely hold on to any high picks we can get.
Good chance Horney Toad n Harley Davidson both end up as All Aust players in future years. Might just be premium time to split a premium first rounder for a couple of good first rounders. Just spreading the odds a tad of course :))
Theoretically, with an early pick looking very promising, the hint of Bakes possibly going home and the prospect of trading our draft points to clubs with academy F/S needs we should be able to build a seriously strong draft hand this year without needing to split a top 3 pick out wider.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
The Yarran,stack scenarios have made us gun shy,are we going to stand around while thuking Geelong add,smith,Thomas to their lists,that's 2 a graders.