2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I have no problem with the GC academy. They are genuinely putting in enormous resources into it and it’s generating results. Maybe the discounts should be removed but they should get some recognition for the development they put in.
They do , with the ability to match a bid regardless where they are on ladder , no more benefit req. and they pay with same round selections not bs junk pics

Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Just getting Leysy's head around this draft crop. They look the two ATM, but time for others to emerge.

O'Sullivan certainly looks a player, always on the go, great step, seems a little bit of Chimp in the way he moves.

From the vision have seen, hasn't seemed to use his non-preferred much. At least by foot, though he uses his left by hand regularly.

For those that have seen him more - What's his left peg like? Might be ok but always has enough time in juniors to get on his right.
Finn O’S has the best skills of any kid in this draft crop in Victoria. Have seen his left foot many times and it’s quite good. His right is awesome.
Smilie blasts his kicks more often, Finn has brilliant touch with his kicks

Reactions: 5 users

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
Finn O’S has the best skills of any kid in this draft crop in Victoria. Have seen his left foot many times and it’s quite good. His right is awesome.
Smilie blasts his kicks more often, Finn has brilliant touch with his kicks

Finn's the standout for me on very cursory viewing/research. Fast, tough, classy. Bit of Errol Gulden in there?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Feesl like when the horse trading is done this year we will have our pick, a Freo First, A Carlton First and two picks in the second round.
One pick 2-6
One pick 10-14
One pick 14- 18.

That's our first-round spread.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Feesl like when the horse trading is done this year we will have our pick, a Freo First, A Carlton First and two picks in the second round.
One pick 2-6
One pick 10-14
One pick 14- 18.

Pretty big hand there if that eventuates.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
One pick 2-6
One pick 10-14
One pick 14- 18.

Its going to be interesting how we play this years draft / trade period. I think at the start of the year, most on here probably had a list of easy cuts of 8-10, but that number is reducing as we are testing these young guys out. I wonder how many list spots we will have, especially if we take 2 at the MSD as I don't think we will keep them for 6 months and then disgard them.

Out of contract we have:
IMO will be resigned - Miller, Ross, Tresize, Smith, MRJ, Lefau, Mansell, Naismith, Ryan, Campbell, Dow, Nankervis
Questions - Prestia, Martin, Hugo, Kmac, Pickett, Coulthard, Cumberland, Green
Delist / retire - Grimes
Potential trades / free agent moves - Graham, Baker

If we add 2 more in the MSD, then 2 need to leave just to balance our numbers. Lets say Grimes retires, Bakes goes to West Coast and Graham also leaves to go back to SA, then we only have 1 list spot available.

I'm thinking we will likely have max 5 spots on our list, across both the main list and the rookies, so perhaps we only take 4 picks or so to the ND.

Its why I'm currently (and hoping the club is too) eyeing off BOTH of Gold Coasts 1st rounders. If the rules don't change this year, then they will certainly look to trade them back, and probably try and trade at least some of that value into 2025. If we could throw a lot of our later picks at them, and use a future 2nd to get hold of them, I think it would be a good move.

If Bakes was to go to West Coast, if there pick remains at 5 (it might slip into a better number still) then I can see us swapping 5 with 10 and getting their 2nd back too, possibly some other things change hands too to balance it up, but if we dd that, potentially we could end up with 2, 5, 9 and WC's 2nd, about 25 at the moment. I think that would be a great hand for us to hit the draft hard. Potentially 3 of the likes of O'Sullivan, Smith, Trainor, Lalor etc.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Pretty big hand there if that eventuates.
Our pick is a given, Bakes to Freo or Wet Coke (Lachie *smile* price , 1st and 2nd) seems a lock and we plan to get involved in father son. Seems reasonable outcome. You think it’s far fetched?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Our pick is a given, Bakes to Freo or Wet Coke (Lachie *smile* price , 1st and 2nd) seems a lock and we plan to get involved in father son. Seems reasonable outcome. You think it’s far fetched?
Nope. Just saying it would be a powerful hand at the Draft.

Is this a great Draft to have that sort of power ? I'm not so sure. We probably have no choice given our situation right now, and especially with Tasmania on the horizon. We have to move hard, now.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Nope. Just saying it would be a powerful hand at the Draft.

Is this a great Draft to have that sort of power ? I'm not so sure. We probably have no choice given our situation right now, and especially with Tasmania on the horizon. We have to move hard, now.
There isn’t a clear cut number one but we shouldn’t have that pick,so thats ok. This was the case in the Cadman 2022 draft and it looks a ripper.

There is a lot of good mids/fwd types. Its above average draft but not stacked.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
There isn’t a clear cut number one but we shouldn’t have that pick,so thats ok. This was the case in the Cadman 2022 draft and it looks a ripper.

There is a lot of good mids/fwd types. Its above average draft but not stacked.
I’m not sure it’s above average. Actually looks pretty average to me. If I look at the current projected top 5 I go Smith and O’Sullivan tick, then I start to struggle with the others.

Hopefully that changes over the next few months.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I’m not sure it’s above average. Actually looks pretty average to me. If I look at the current projected top 5 I go Smith and O’Sullivan tick, then I start to struggle with the others.

Hopefully that changes over the next few months.
Levi Ashcroft, Josh Smillie, Luke Trainor, Sid Draper. It’s going to be fine.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Levi Ashcroft, Josh Smillie, Luke Trainor, Sid Draper. It’s going to be fine.
Not for me. Smillie and Draper. Meh. Moraes and others as well. Big gaps in their games. Maybe that’ll change dunno.

Smillie isn’t the type of player we need anyway. We’d just be tripling down on a heavy bodied, slow mid. We’ve already got Hopper and Taranto. We need mids with a bit more of a power edge and spread about them.

Hopefully Norf take him off the board.

Last edited:

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Its going to be interesting how we play this years draft / trade period. I think at the start of the year, most on here probably had a list of easy cuts of 8-10, but that number is reducing as we are testing these young guys out. I wonder how many list spots we will have, especially if we take 2 at the MSD as I don't think we will keep them for 6 months and then disgard them.

Out of contract we have:
IMO will be resigned - Miller, Ross, Tresize, Smith, MRJ, Lefau, Mansell, Naismith, Ryan, Campbell, Dow, Nankervis
Questions - Prestia, Martin, Hugo, Kmac, Pickett, Coulthard, Cumberland, Green
Delist / retire - Grimes
Potential trades / free agent moves - Graham, Baker

If we add 2 more in the MSD, then 2 need to leave just to balance our numbers. Lets say Grimes retires, Bakes goes to West Coast and Graham also leaves to go back to SA, then we only have 1 list spot available.

I'm thinking we will likely have max 5 spots on our list, across both the main list and the rookies, so perhaps we only take 4 picks or so to the ND.

Its why I'm currently (and hoping the club is too) eyeing off BOTH of Gold Coasts 1st rounders. If the rules don't change this year, then they will certainly look to trade them back, and probably try and trade at least some of that value into 2025. If we could throw a lot of our later picks at them, and use a future 2nd to get hold of them, I think it would be a good move.

If Bakes was to go to West Coast, if there pick remains at 5 (it might slip into a better number still) then I can see us swapping 5 with 10 and getting their 2nd back too, possibly some other things change hands too to balance it up, but if we dd that, potentially we could end up with 2, 5, 9 and WC's 2nd, about 25 at the moment. I think that would be a great hand for us to hit the draft hard. Potentially 3 of the likes of O'Sullivan, Smith, Trainor, Lalor etc.
Don’t follow the ‘swapping 5 with 10 and getting their second back too ‘, … and then ending up with, ‘2 and 5’.

Think we will probably see Grimes retire, and perhaps also Prestia and McIntosh. All wonderful contributors whose time has passed.

Hopper for 5 more years would continuing to remind us of error and become an embarrassment. Too much money with a likely reducing availability. Maybe a future 2nd for a 1/3 of his salary?

Graham likely to go home to Adelaide. If that occurs love to see him traded for Fogarty, which seems possible??
Agree with you that is is likely that that Baker will go.
Broad also?

As the ladder stands then that would bring in 2, 20, 38 and 54, plus
5 for Baker and 27 and 45 from Fremantle and 41 from West Coast. (Not likely that the Collingwood and Port Adelaide picks will add much additional value).

Pickett to stay.

Wouldn't mind taking our two favoured VFL stars via the MSD. But Noord to go at 2 which may mean that we miss out on Johnson or given the depth we have in the draft, that we won't want to spend the list place on him at this early point.

So 42-Colina rookie list b, plus Grimes and Prestia first delist, and Baker, Broad, Graham, Hopper and McIntosh second delist leaving 35 on list plus Hayes-Brown on b list.
So Fogarty, Noord, and picks 2, 5, 20, 27, 38, 41, 45 and 54, plus the trade in for Broad, available to fill 7 places. this leaving some real value (38, 41, 45 and 54 plus the Broad trade compensation and the Port and Collingwood 4 th rounders), available to trade back into the first round, either this year or next.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Finn's the standout for me on very cursory viewing/research. Fast, tough, classy. Bit of Errol Gulden in there?
Is probably more like Isaac Heeney if you’re looking for a comparison.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Don’t follow the ‘swapping 5 with 10 and getting their second back too ‘, … and then ending up with, ‘2 and 5’.

We have Pick 2 already.

Swap Pick 10 and Baker for Pick 5 and Pick 25, is what I'm suggesting - maybe a few other changes to provide us with a bit more value.
There is very little chance that West Coast would trade just 5 for Baker. At the very best they trade their pick back for 2 1sts, and then give us 1 of them, but I feel we get better value by taking their 1st and giving them something back.

BTW - there is practically zero chance we get Fogarty for Graham, partly because the Crows wouldn't do that, and partly because the Crows don't need to do that. Best case for Graham, is we threaten to match (he's restricted) and they pay him enough so we get band 3 compo (a 2nd round pick, which would come straight after our 2nd.