2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We have Pick 2 already.

Swap Pick 10 and Baker for Pick 5 and Pick 25, is what I'm suggesting - maybe a few other changes to provide us with a bit more value.
There is very little chance that West Coast would trade just 5 for Baker. At the very best they trade their pick back for 2 1sts, and then give us 1 of them, but I feel we get better value by taking their 1st and giving them something back.

BTW - there is practically zero chance we get Fogarty for Graham, partly because the Crows wouldn't do that, and partly because the Crows don't need to do that. Best case for Graham, is we threaten to match (he's restricted) and they pay him enough so we get band 3 compo (a 2nd round pick, which would come straight after our 2nd.
Not sure there'll be enough of a difference between the players you'd get at 5 and 10 to make that a good deal, posh.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not sure there'll be enough of a difference between the players you'd get at 5 and 10 to make that a good deal, posh.

Potentially, but I guess what we would we prefer? Lets say West Coast trade 5 for 11 and 12 from Freo. Would you take 12 for Bakes?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Hopper for 5 more years would continuing to remind us of error and become an embarrassment. Too much money with a likely reducing availability. Maybe a future 2nd for a 1/3 of his salary?
How is Mr Catastrophe over here?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'd take 11. And their second. They can have one of our late picks back.

Interesting, it gives us options. Thats a similar outcome to what I was thinking West Coast would need back (ie. still retaining a 1st rounder) and might give us better options at getting the GC 1sts, especially if we ask for West Coasts 2nd in 2025 as part of the Baker trade.

Trade for 1 of those GC picks with WC and our future 2nds (I'm certain they are going to trade some of their early picks into 2025 assuming the draft rules don't change this year) so this would help satisfy part of that, and then trade for the other for pick upgrades.

If Graham leaves might even still leave us with a 2nd rounder this year along with Picks 2, 8, 10 and 11. Would give us a great chance of ripping the bones out of this draft.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Here’s one for the thinkers and postulates. And who knows it might actually happen.

If the club had to choose sending either Shai or Bakes back to WA in order to rebuild and also keep one of them long term on the right dollars, which one would you prefer they do it with ?

I know Shai is signed through 2028.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
I hope we have the right coaching development team for all these kids coming our way.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Here’s one for the thinkers and postulates. And who knows it might actually happen.

If the club had to choose sending either Shai or Bakes back to WA in order to rebuild and also keep one of them long term on the right dollars, which one would you prefer they do it with ?

If both were on the table, then the return value of each player would be a massive consideration for rebuilding purposes. Think I'd keep Bakes for the big balls n leadership, plus I'd reckon Shai would bring us a better dollar value in the trade. Simply think that would be the slightly better win win win scenario for us.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
If both were on the table, then the return value of each player would be a massive consideration for rebuilding purposes. Think I'd keep Bakes for the big balls n leadership, plus I'd reckon Shai would bring us a better dollar value in the trade. Simply think that would be the slightly better win win win scenario for us.
That’s my thinking as well.

I really don’t want to lose Baker. I think I could handle Shai leaving a bit easier for all those reasons. Could the club maybe think the same ?

Anyway, just throwing it out there as a hypo for a bit of fun.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not for me. Smillie and Draper. Meh. Moraes and others as well. Big gaps in their games. Maybe that’ll change dunno.

Smillie isn’t the type of player we need anyway. We’d just be tripling down on a heavy bodied, slow mid. We’ve already got Hopper and Taranto. We need mids with a bit more of a power edge and spread about them.

Hopefully Norf take him off the board.
Agree on Smillie. I’m hoping we end up with pick 3-4-5 ish. Sullivan is the one for us.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Agree on Smillie. I’m hoping we end up with pick 3-4-5 ish. Sullivan is the one for us.
It’s not to say Smillie couldn’t be a success for someone - he has some tools no doubt - but I just think between the way the game is going, our list profile (Taranto, Hopper, McAuliffe), that he’s not quite the guy for us right now.

Maybe for someone else, yes. But not sure for us.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Not that I'm an advocate for chasing McCluggage, what range would he be in this year's draft?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

For hypothetical sake, I keep Shai. He's shown no sign of wanting to leave, he's the better player, is almost a year younger and I reckon will play longer. Yeah you'd get more for him, but you wouldn't get what he's worth. We might get a great deal for Bakes.

I'd rather try to keep both and get other contracts off the books. Grimes, Dion, Graham, Short. Who knows what Dusty will do.

Reactions: 5 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
We have Pick 2 already.

Swap Pick 10 and Baker for Pick 5 and Pick 25, is what I'm suggesting - maybe a few other changes to provide us with a bit more value.
There is very little chance that West Coast would trade just 5 for Baker. At the very best they trade their pick back for 2 1sts, and then give us 1 of them, but I feel we get better value by taking their 1st and giving them something back.

BTW - there is practically zero chance we get Fogarty for Graham, partly because the Crows wouldn't do that, and partly because the Crows don't need to do that. Best case for Graham, is we threaten to match (he's restricted) and they pay him enough so we get band 3 compo (a 2nd round pick, which would come straight after our 2nd.
Where does pick 10 come from?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Jayd
For hypothetical sake, I keep Shai. He's shown no sign of wanting to leave, he's the better player, is almost a year younger and I reckon will play longer. Yeah you'd get more for him, but you wouldn't get what he's worth. We might get a great deal for Bakes.

I'd rather try to keep both and get other contracts off the books. Grimes, Dion, Graham, Short. Who knows what Dusty will do.
Short is one player who would have currency (overrated) that we could afford to lose.

Tiges would get a good pick for him also with no real loss on field.

Id keep Bolton ahead Baker also as he is a dead set match winner and they are few and very far between.

Baker leaving wouldn't torch is in the way Shai could.

Id rather keep em both and trade Short and Graham.

Reactions: 5 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Smillie would have more of an immediate impact but reckon that O’Sullivan would be better long term.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Sh

Shai not to be traded.