2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Gold Coast
Nice work if we can get it and maybe we will have points in our lesser picks to get it done. Maybe we could sell Dimma on Hopper as well?

As for Baker if he doesn't get us 5 or better then I don't think we will let him go. Co vice captain Short another matter.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Nice work if we can get it and maybe we will have points in our lesser picks to get it done. Maybe we could sell Dimma on Hopper as well?

As for Baker if he doesn't get us 5 or better then I don't think we will let him go. Co vice captain Short another matter.

Baker is out of contract, if he chooses to leave we make it work. I think what spook suggested of Pick 11 and their 2nd (around 25) with something of ours going back, maybe 40 then that probably works.

Gold Coast will 100% sell their 2 first round picks with Lombard potentially going top 10. They'll ether trade them up or trade them out, and they will likely try and trade them into 2025 where they can as picks will be swallowed by the Lombard bid.

I prefer to look at the draft / trade period as a collective, if we ended up with 4 picks in the 1st 11 and then a 2nd or something we could potentially completely change our list in 1 swoop.

If we could get 3 of O'Sullivan, Smith, Moraes, Hotton and Lalor that would set the midfield up well.
If we could use the other 2 for talls, Trainor, Faull, Whitlock, O'Farrell etc that would be great

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Baker is out of contract, if he chooses to leave we make it work. I think what spook suggested of Pick 11 and their 2nd (around 25) with something of ours going back, maybe 40 then that probably works.

Gold Coast will 100% sell their 2 first round picks with Lombard potentially going top 10. They'll ether trade them up or trade them out, and they will likely try and trade them into 2025 where they can as picks will be swallowed by the Lombard bid.

I prefer to look at the draft / trade period as a collective, if we ended up with 4 picks in the 1st 11 and then a 2nd or something we could potentially completely change our list in 1 swoop.

If we could get 3 of O'Sullivan, Smith, Moraes, Hotton and Lalor that would set the midfield up well.
If we could use the other 2 for talls, Trainor, Faull, Whitlock, O'Farrell etc that would be great
IMO you are under stating Bakers real value, and if they wind up with 5, I think that is about right in terms of the quality of draftee likely to be on offer at that point. (Maybe an additional offer of Broad for a future pick, would get the trade done for Baker at 5).
Otherwise I'd expect we will be all out trying to get Baker to accept a new offer. However West Coasts first pick is more likely to go out than stay at 5, as they are playing a much improved game.

All hypothetical at this point.

O'sullivan, Smith and Lalor all look top 5.

Last edited:

Danjam

Tiger Cub
Oct 16, 2022
remains at

How would we get 4 picks inside 11? I could see 4 picks inside 20 being a chance but unless we are trading both Bolton and Baker, anything more may be a stretch??

The way I see it we may have pick 2 (our pick), pick 11-12 (baker trade from freo), pick 22 (our 2nd rounder). The tricky part from there is how do we turn our other picks including freo’s second rounder and a possible second rounder compo for Graham into 1-2 more first rounders?

I’d love to aim for 1 of Gold Coasts 2 picks but realistically I think they will be trading both of these into next year with a very high price tag like the bulldogs paid last year. Could we aim for Gold Coasts pick 20 and Brisbane’s likely pick 10-14?

That could give us something like 2,11,13,20,22 which is about as good as we could possibly hope for without further player trades.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How would we get 4 picks inside 11? I could see 4 picks inside 20 being a chance but unless we are trading both Bolton and Baker, anything more may be a stretch??

The way I see it we may have pick 2 (our pick), pick 11-12 (baker trade from freo), pick 22 (our 2nd rounder). The tricky part from there is how do we turn our other picks including freo’s second rounder and a possible second rounder compo for Graham into 1-2 more first rounders?

I’d love to aim for 1 of Gold Coasts 2 picks but realistically I think they will be trading both of these into next year with a very high price tag like the bulldogs paid last year. Could we aim for Gold Coasts pick 20 and Brisbane’s likely pick 10-14?

That could give us something like 2,11,13,20,22 which is about as good as we could possibly hope for without further player trades.

They will charge a high price, but you also need to look at who will trade into this years draft. Maybe Carlton would trade up to get ahead of the Camp boys and give them some future value that way, not sure. Brisbane won't trade for them, neither will Adelaide. I can't see any of the bottom 5 trading their future 1sts, so you are already down a lot in terms of value.

I did mention above how we get them. A suggestion had been put forward that West Coast might trade with Freo Pick 5 for the 2 picks at 11 and 12, then on trade 11 with a future 2nd to us for Baker and probably something later back, maybe 40 or something. We then use our later picks and West Coasts F2 and our F2 to push for Picks 8 and 10. Obviously depends where all the picks land in terms of value, but it would give Gold Coast a significant points gain, whilst also moving some of those points into 2 early future selections. I reckon they will target moving other picks into the 2025 draft as they have a heap of points to go for Lombard.

They may also try and trade up into the draft, someone like WC or Hawthorn may think there top 5's are ok, and are prepared to slip down to 8 and 10 (and give something back to GC in 2025 to balance the trade, it just depends where they think a bid will come for Lombard which the rest of the year in the champs will dictate. Is he Top 5, top 10, top 15 etc. The only way they won't trade 8 or 10, is if they think Lombard's bid will slip back from there and then they will take 2 premium talents and Lombard.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Having skipped drafting talls (logan macdonald) surely they go a key forward
if the talent warranted it, they will. I'm not sure there is any touted top 5-10 KPF in this year's crop? We are in a worse situation than Norf KPF wise and will have to probably go for the "best available" rather than needs based as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Sh

Shai not to be traded.
Seeing as we're only flapping hypotheticals on an internet forum. What happens if Shai tells the club that he'd like to go home to W.A.? Do we still not trade him, force him against his wishes to stay n play for us? Perhaps we could lock him in his room n only let him out for supervised training n game day.

Nothing is ever locked up in an iron clad guarantee, situations can change in an instant. So just a discussion point as to which of two players would people prefer to trade with perhaps a reasoning as to why.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Lot of water yet to go under the fridge, but Jungle drums suggesting Bakes and Graham gone.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
First time ive seen Lalor play this morning.

In in on a quarter sample.

If its a bull we want Lalor>>Smilie.

If its speed and class, im still a Jagga Smith advocate.

Great debut from Darcy jones the other night. Was a huge fan in his draft year. Steal at 21

Gonna be fun assembling a few top 5 picks

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
First time ive seen Lalor play this morning.

In in on a quarter sample.

If its a bull we want Lalor>>Smilie.

If its speed and class, im still a Jagga Smith advocate.

Great debut from Darcy jones the other night. Was a huge fan in his draft year. Steal at 21

Gonna be fun assembling a few top 5 picks
I forgot it was on but good to hear re Lalor.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Lovely classy gather and spin in traffic by Jagga, before lacing out Shanahan on the lead. Lalor like bull, yes. Tyler Welsh looks a beast, reckon he's taller than 191 now. Slillz too.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users