2024 Training With The Ooze Crew | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Training With The Ooze Crew

AFL 2024: Tom Lynch, Dylan Grimes and Dion Prestia take big steps in return from injury at Richmond training​

Richmond’s Opening Round clash against Gold Coast is less than a month away and three key Tigers took big steps in their return from injury on Saturday. Who will be ready?

February 10, 2024 - 4:05PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Key Tiger pair Tom Lynch and Dylan Grimes stepped into training on Saturday as midfielder Dion Prestia powered through a strong running session on his sore hamstring.
Goalkicker Lynch and defender Grimes have been largely kept to the Richmond rehab group over the past month of training, with Lynch on the return from foot surgery and Grimes dealing with a calf niggle.
But both joined teammates to start a session on Saturday, with Lynch showing no signs of discomfort as he ran and kicked with ease.
The spearhead stepped back to the side of training after 45 minutes, before joining in a high marking drill as training wound up.
Grimes stayed in with the main group the whole way and moved well as he hopes to prove his fitness before an opening round meeting with Gold Coast.

Tom Lynch at Richmond training on Saturday. Picture: Michael Klein

Dylan Grimes was also in action after dealing with a calf injury. Picture: Michael Klein

Dylan Grimes was also in action after dealing with a calf injury. Picture: Michael Klein

Lynch has been ruled out of Opening Round and said this week he would begin to slowly ease his way back into normal training as he aimed to play in round 1 against Carlton.

Fellow defender Nick Vlastuin was back into the swing of things are clearing concussion protocols.
A handful of Tigers were on light duties, with Tim Taranto, Jack Graham and Tylar Young among those taking it easy.
Diagnosed with a minor hamstring injury last week, Prestia pushed through resistance training and 200m runs at high speed.

The nuggety midfielder has been ruled out of February 18’s match simulation against Melbourne but could recover in time to face Collingwood on February 27, in the Charity Shield match.

While most Tigers were crisp with ball in hand on Saturday, young forward Liam Fawcett drew laughter when he missed a mark and copped a ball in the mouth.

A Tyler Sonsie set shot that faded to the right late in the session drew the ire of teammates, with the Tigers then forced into 20 push-ups.

Dion Prestia was put through his paces away from the main group. Picture: Michael Klein

Dion Prestia was put through his paces away from the main group. Picture: Michael Klein

RIOLI’S ROLE REDUX

A number of Tigers were missing from Punt Road on Saturday, as 10 players went on to Darwin instead of Melbourne after this week’s camp in Mildura.

Daniel Rioli was one of those players, soaking in the chance to spent some time back in the Northern Territory.
He clarified that he still expects to play most of 2024 as a running defender, after revealing to this masthead recently that new coach Adem Yze has floated the idea of midfield minutes for the speedster.

“I obviously moved into the backline halfway through the 2021 season and found my position there and played a bit more consistently through there, I think that will be my spot this year,” Rioli said.

“I am just excited to play under Adem Yze, obviously a new coach to us and coming from the Demons he has had a good game plan that we have introduced to us and into our game plan.”

Home town hero Daniel Rioli takes a selfie in Darwin. Picture: Patch Clapp (AFLNT Media).

Home town hero Daniel Rioli takes a selfie in Darwin. Picture: Patch Clapp (AFLNT Media).

Rioli backed in a push to permanently move the AFLW Dreamtime match between Richmond and Essendon to Darwin.
While usually held at the MCG, the 2020 AFL Dreamtime game was moved to Darwin’s TIO Stadium and sold out.
“I reckon (AFLW Dreamtime games in Darwin) would be awesome,” Rioli said.

“Obviously we had that opportunity … I was up here playing the Dreamtime game and that was a pretty special game.
“AFLW would be awesome, we have a big footy fan base here in the Northern Territory and obviously a lot of women play here and are really good footballers.
“If it does happen it would be pretty special and I think everyone would get around it.”

Reactions: 16 users

AFL 2024: Tom Lynch, Dylan Grimes and Dion Prestia take big steps in return from injury at Richmond training​

Richmond’s Opening Round clash against Gold Coast is less than a month away and three key Tigers took big steps in their return from injury on Saturday. Who will be ready?

February 10, 2024 - 4:05PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Key Tiger pair Tom Lynch and Dylan Grimes stepped into training on Saturday as midfielder Dion Prestia powered through a strong running session on his sore hamstring.
Goalkicker Lynch and defender Grimes have been largely kept to the Richmond rehab group over the past month of training, with Lynch on the return from foot surgery and Grimes dealing with a calf niggle.
But both joined teammates to start a session on Saturday, with Lynch showing no signs of discomfort as he ran and kicked with ease.
The spearhead stepped back to the side of training after 45 minutes, before joining in a high marking drill as training wound up.
Grimes stayed in with the main group the whole way and moved well as he hopes to prove his fitness before an opening round meeting with Gold Coast.

Lynch has been ruled out of Opening Round and said this week he would begin to slowly ease his way back into normal training as he aimed to play in round 1 against Carlton.

Fellow defender Nick Vlastuin was back into the swing of things are clearing concussion protocols.
A handful of Tigers were on light duties, with Tim Taranto, Jack Graham and Tylar Young among those taking it easy.
Diagnosed with a minor hamstring injury last week, Prestia pushed through resistance training and 200m runs at high speed.

The nuggety midfielder has been ruled out of February 18’s match simulation against Melbourne but could recover in time to face Collingwood on February 27, in the Charity Shield match.

While most Tigers were crisp with ball in hand on Saturday, young forward Liam Fawcett drew laughter when he missed a mark and copped a ball in the mouth.

A Tyler Sonsie set shot that faded to the right late in the session drew the ire of teammates, with the Tigers then forced into 20 push-ups.

RIOLI’S ROLE REDUX

A number of Tigers were missing from Punt Road on Saturday, as 10 players went on to Darwin instead of Melbourne after this week’s camp in Mildura.

Daniel Rioli was one of those players, soaking in the chance to spent some time back in the Northern Territory.
He clarified that he still expects to play most of 2024 as a running defender, after revealing to this masthead recently that new coach Adem Yze has floated the idea of midfield minutes for the speedster.

“I obviously moved into the backline halfway through the 2021 season and found my position there and played a bit more consistently through there, I think that will be my spot this year,” Rioli said.

“I am just excited to play under Adem Yze, obviously a new coach to us and coming from the Demons he has had a good game plan that we have introduced to us and into our game plan.”

Rioli backed in a push to permanently move the AFLW Dreamtime match between Richmond and Essendon to Darwin.
While usually held at the MCG, the 2020 AFL Dreamtime game was moved to Darwin’s TIO Stadium and sold out.
“I reckon (AFLW Dreamtime games in Darwin) would be awesome,” Rioli said.

“Obviously we had that opportunity … I was up here playing the Dreamtime game and that was a pretty special game.
“AFLW would be awesome, we have a big footy fan base here in the Northern Territory and obviously a lot of women play here and are really good footballers.
“If it does happen it would be pretty special and I think everyone would get around it.”

Healthy list compared to last year.

Reactions: 5 users
Interesting the Melbourne stuff. We’ve struggled against them the last few years especially their rollback and the way they never let us get those free men outside of the contest and stoppages. Hopefully we can duplicate that around the ground defensive “tightness” and it helps out what looks a bit of a weak backline to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting the Melbourne stuff. We’ve struggled against them the last few years especially their rollback and the way they never let us get those free men outside of the contest and stoppages. Hopefully we can duplicate that “around the ground defensive tightness” and it helps out with what looks like a bit of a weak backline to me
Interesting the Melbourne stuff. We’ve struggled against them the last few years especially their rollback and the way they never let us get those free men outside of the contest and stoppages. Hopefully we can duplicate that around the ground defensive “tightness” and it helps out what looks a bit of a weak backline to me.

Trying to raise your post count Redfords?

Our backline won’t be weak, looks pretty damn solid, especially if the mids can show the defensive traits they sorely lacked last year.

Reactions: 2 users
Our backline won’t be weak, looks pretty damn solid, especially if the mids can show the defensive traits they sorely lacked last year.
I agree with the second part TF. I feel our tall personnel are a bit of an injury/experience/form raffle. But it will be exciting if they click.

If Balta does indeed play up forward, I think our backline will be the weakest we have had in awhile.

We will be putting alot of pressure on Young and Gibcus.

Reactions: 6 users
Interesting question. They all have slightly different attributes.
However:
1) Lefau just for presence
2) Kosi with AFL experience. If he could hold his marks he would easily be #1
3) Schofield. Not outstanding but ok
4) Fawcett and May = both have great upsides and show glimpses. May more of a backman I think.
Has Lefau been contracted yet?

SSP last day Monday. Guess marketing team is thinking of some entertaining way to announce the decision one way or another.
It would come as surprise but I wonder if both Lefau and Schofield have been signed and Grimesy will give it away.

I agree with the second part TF. I feel our tall personnel are a bit of an injury/experience/form raffle. But it will be exciting if they click.
Can totally understand your reservations with the talls in Gibcus, Miller and Young, but i thought Young was a revelation last season and looks a solid defender, an Astbury type. Gibcus will be a very good defender, Miller is yet to win me over.
But……. We will still have the very underrated Broad down there, along with Vlastuin, both of whom are very good at reading the play and intercepting. Brown can be that type of player too, and nothing needs to be said about Rioli and Short, as well as Baker, playing down back.
Backline will be fine, and what gives me more confidence is that it has been a focus of the new coach, an area where he has excelled in the past.

Reactions: 6 users
I think with our backline, it held up pretty well last year, until about 2/3 of the way through the season and the dam wall broke, courtesy of the players up the field letting the ball in way too easily. If we can be better in the midfield, our backline will benefit hugely, even without Balta there. Still got plenty of experience down there, even if the keys are a bit raw still

Reactions: 5 users