2024 Training With The Ooze Crew | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Training With The Ooze Crew

Actually, teams started loading up behind the ball in 2020.
I think our demolition of GWS in the GF had teams basically clueless. Clueless teams then flood back as a last resort. Round 2 v Collingwood was almost a nil all draw, i think 5.6.36 a piece. Nathan Buckley bacame so clueless, that flooding became his stock game plan. Then there was the famous or infamous press conference after the Sydney game when Hardwick was getting frustrated with the flooding tactics. In the end, we started using the ball a bit better on our entry, also got players back from injury, and the flloding result was that the ball lived in our forward line the whole game.

And that was precisely the beauty of our game style. If you flooded against us, then our forward pressure meant that conceding the entry by flooding had the ball live almost the whole game in our forward half. We basically killed the flood off.

Then Steve Hocking comes along with he most putrid rule in football, the rule you create when like flooding teams, you are clueless as to how to stop the tigers. Now because it's so much easier to exit a teams forward line, the flood can pay off. Just look at ther way Collingwood get back now!

Having said that, Kent Kingsley has GWS playing a brand of foot ball which is as close to our own that i have seen since 2020, in fact far closer than our own version of it. In fact, IMO, far from us sticking to the same game plan too long, we have strayed from our own DNA which was to out number to get the ball forward by whatever means, and then hold the thing in the forward line with extreme pressure.

Of recent years, we certainly have not out numbered at the contest, either because we were placing players differently in an effort to stop being scored against or we just lost too many players with running power.

Watchnig GWS in the last half of last year was literally like watching the Tigers in our heyday.

For 3 years, we've had a real scarcity of decent small forwards, while in the premiership years they were in excess.
100% agree

Reactions: 1 users
To those that watch training closely. How would assess and wrap up our pre Christmas block of pre season? Positives? Negatives?

Reactions: 1 user
I think our demolition of GWS in the GF had teams basically clueless. Clueless teams then flood back as a last resort. Round 2 v Collingwood was almost a nil all draw, i think 5.6.36 a piece. Nathan Buckley bacame so clueless, that flooding became his stock game plan. Then there was the famous or infamous press conference after the Sydney game when Hardwick was getting frustrated with the flooding tactics. In the end, we started using the ball a bit better on our entry, also got players back from injury, and the flloding result was that the ball lived in our forward line the whole game.

And that was precisely the beauty of our game style. If you flooded against us, then our forward pressure meant that conceding the entry by flooding had the ball live almost the whole game in our forward half. We basically killed the flood off.

Then Steve Hocking comes along with he most putrid rule in football, the rule you create when like flooding teams, you are clueless as to how to stop the tigers. Now because it's so much easier to exit a teams forward line, the flood can pay off. Just look at ther way Collingwood get back now!

Having said that, Kent Kingsley has GWS playing a brand of foot ball which is as close to our own that i have seen since 2020, in fact far closer than our own version of it. In fact, IMO, far from us sticking to the same game plan too long, we have strayed from our own DNA which was to out number to get the ball forward by whatever means, and then hold the thing in the forward line with extreme pressure.

Of recent years, we certainly have not out numbered at the contest, either because we were placing players differently in an effort to stop being scored against or we just lost too many players with running power.

Watchnig GWS in the last half of last year was literally like watching the Tigers in our heyday.

For 3 years, we've had a real scarcity of decent small forwards, while in the premiership years they were in excess.
I still believe the adaptation of our game plan has binned chaotic entries in favour of more clinical connections , coll and gws are examples

Reactions: 4 users
Fridge has kicked 49 goals 24 behinds in his career too and I have long said that he one our best deliverers to the forwards, very happy to have the ball in Fridge's hands.
Graham was hampered by turf toe for most of 2022 and severely interrupted pre-season at start of 2023.
He appears ripped, lighter and running well in the 4 weeks to Christmas, will be back to his best in 2024.
Yep. Always been a fan of the Fridge, bloody injuries have done some messing with his overall career n hoping it's about time he got a clean run at things for a few years at least.

Heard that this morning. At the risk of continuing to sound like a grinch, I actually found that interview incredibly boring.
Real paint by numbers stuff from Newie. Barely any insight. DeStoop's questions were pretty lame though I guess.
Did someone steal your Xmas presents as a kid? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Kent Kingsley eh :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Any info about how Seth Campbell would be greatly appreciated

How does the boy look at training has he put on much size and whats his running and development like

Thanks Caesar and others for the training reports, really appreciate getting a regular rundown. My biggest question would be, how does this preseason rate so far compared to the previous 2 in terms of intensity, energy etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks Caesar and others for the training reports, really appreciate getting a regular rundown. My biggest question would be, how does this preseason rate so far compared to the previous 2 in terms of intensity, energy etc.
My limited (very limited), better and more "intense" than last year but not as intense as some previous years. I can recall (2019 pre season I think) there would be the 20 x 150 meter shuttles at the end of the session. The noticeable thing to me is more that once a drill/exercise is not meeting expectations/the target it is stopped, the players brought in, whiteboards come out and then the drill re-starts. I cannot recall much of that with Dimma except maybe in the very early years (note I would only see 1 or 2 training sessions in those years as I lived overseas).

I'm really hoping Matt C is not injured and only got a knock on Monday. Whilst I think Sons and Brown have been the standouts from what I have seen, Matt C's understanding of where, how and when to lead up or double back and knowing immediately from who's got the ball up field where to go is second to none. He's my smoky to real make an impression.

Ohh and a slimmed down, mobile Mate looks OK as well.

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
Training Today Thursday :

People may want a detailed report but only have time for a brief summary and pre-season overall:

Coulthard: Straight line jogging only today so I think my diagnosis of a hammy was correct.
Shai: Seems to have bulked up a bit but has been absent from my reports as has not been a regular attendee and has not blitzed when he has been there but the class still shines through.
Dusty: Has missed the last week of training but in rare form prior.
Hopper & Prestia: Have not commented on them all pre-season as I didn't want to jinx them as the injury gods have not been kind, (but they haven't missed a beat and completed every session).
Marlion: Not there today but otherwise a great block of training from him.
Brown, Sonz and Cumberland: My biggest pluses to Christmas.
Kane McAuliffe: Moves very well and looks an exciting prospect.
Grimes: Am sorry to say is looking very old, I am not confident he can reverse his demise of last year.
Gibcus: Tracking better than i thought and my fingers & toes are crossed for him.
DRioli: Have hardly seen him at training and not there again today, he was in the training camp video but can't recall seeing him much more than that.
Bakes: Setting the training standard in Dusty's absence today.
Samson Ryan: A little bit bigger a little bit stronger, great skills for a big man, i still have high hopes but don't necessarily think he is going to explode onto the scene, (still might be baby steps?).
Balta: Has been training forward, is that for training structure or will he play there for real?
JNR: Missing a few targets again but moving better.
NaiSmith: Will be a good addition me thinks.
Kozi: I just don't know at this stage
Steely: I just can't see anything that says AFL.
Banks: Has looked good this pre but I am a fence sitter, I will be watching him for his progression in contested work.

A lot of running today, Shuttles, Camel runs, and lap relays, the star of the show and a surprise to all but me who has witnessed this phenomenon this pre, (Big Mate` Colina), this Giant can run but can he play footy?
Prestia, Graham and Seth Campbell were prominent in the killer Camels, (a type of shuttle but worse and longer).

Young & Clarke: Pretty much trained fully as there was very little contested stuff today.

No full match sim leading up to Christmas and not really much centre clearance work where one ruck was seriously going up against the other so no sense of who is dominant. The rucks have been doing a lot work in their own group this PRE though.

All gathered in a circle in the centre square for about 10 minutes to end the session culminating in raucous celebrations, laughter and shenanigans, showing great spirit as they head off for Christmas.

I will say it has been a different pre-season to the last couple, quicker ball movement, a bit more corridor and a bigger focus on kicking, (still won't make dud kicks good kicks). They are taking great care in managing players too, no one was being rushed before Christmas but I am hoping for a full New Year launch and finally see some match play.

Not sure my reports leave you with any presents to put under your Xmas trees ;) but have a great Christmas and New Year.

Cheers

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 81 users
Training Today Thursday :

People may want a detailed report but only have time for a brief summary and pre-season overall:

Coulthard: Straight line jogging only today so I think my diagnosis of a hammy was correct.
Shai: Seems to have bulked up a bit but has been absent from my reports as has not been a regular attendee and has not blitzed when he has been there but the class still shines through.
Dusty: Has missed the last week of training but in rare form prior.
Hopper & Prestia: Have not commented on them all pre-season as I didn't want to jinx them as the injury gods have not been kind, (but they haven't missed a beat and completed every session).
Marlion: Not there today but otherwise a great block of training from him.
Brown, Sonz and Cumberland: My biggest pluses to Christmas.
Kane McAuliffe: Moves very well and looks an exciting prospect.
Grimes: Am sorry to say is looking very old, I am not confident he can reverse his demise of last year.
Gibcus: Tracking better than i thought and my fingers & toes are crossed for him.
DRioli: Have hardly seen him at training and not there again today, he was in the training camp video but can't recall seeing him much more than that.
Bakes: Setting the training standard in Dusty's absence today.
Samson Ryan: A little bit bigger a little bit stronger, great skills for a big man, i still have high hopes but don't necessarily think he is going to explode onto the scene, (still might be baby steps?).
JNR: Missing a few targets again but moving better.
NaiSmith: Will be a good addition me thinks.
Kozi: I just don't know at this stage
Steely: I just can't see anything that says AFL.
Banks: Has looked good this pre but I am a fence sitter, I will be watching him for his progression in contested work.

A lot of running today, Shuttles, Camel runs, and lap relays, the star of the show and a surprise to all but me who has witnessed this phenomenon this pre, (Big Mate` Colina), this Giant can run but can he play footy?
Prestia, Graham and Seth Campbell were prominent in the killer Camels, (a type of shuttle but worse and longer).

Young & Clarke: Pretty much trained fully as there was very little contested stuff today.

No full match sim leading up to Christmas and not really much centre clearance work where one ruck was seriously going up against the other so no sense of who is dominant. The rucks have been doing a lot work in their own group this PRE though.

All gathered in a circle in the centre square for about 10 minutes to end the session culminating in raucous celebrations, laughter and shenanigans, showing great spirit as they head off for Christmas.

I will say it has been a different pre-season to the last couple, quicker ball movement, a bit more corridor and a bigger focus on kicking, (still won't make dud kicks good kicks). They are taking great care in managing players too, no one was being rushed before Christmas but I am hoping for a full New Year launch and finally see some match play.

Not sure my reports leave you with any presents to put under your Xmas trees ;) but have a great Christmas and New Year.

Cheers
Thanks Caesar, appreciate all of your reports!!

Reactions: 7 users