2024 VFL Signings | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 VFL Signings

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

It was Richmond’s last VFL session of the calendar year.
Ahead of an imminent list cull, the candidates were put through their paces with a gruelling running session before being sprung into match simulation.
In a group of hopefuls and seasoned veterans, only few stood out.
Included in that few was newcomer Tom McCarthy from Highett, embarking on his first VFL pre-season.
The final session was a full stop on what had been a strong pre-season from McCarthy, who impressed enough to earn himself a contract for 2024.
The 23-year-old identified the first match sim as an opportunity to put himself “on the map”.
“For me, it was: ‘alright, I have to break through, I have to show what I’ve got here because I might not get another opportunity’,” he said.
“I went in there and gave it my all, ran as hard as I could and had one of those days – might be luck – where it just came to me.”
McCarthy in action at Richmond. Pictures: RICHMOND FC

McCarthy in action at Richmond. Pictures: RICHMOND FC

McCarthy.
The showing excited Tigers coach Steve Morris.
“He was one of the players that ran through the midfield and he was a standout in that game,” Morris said.
“He’s one of our leading runners, he’s a ranging-midfielder type.
“I saw him being a bit more of a half back and then we ended up throwing him through the middle and he was really impressive with his stoppage work.
“There’s no doubt he’s had improvement over the time he’s been with us.
“It’s funny, when we saw his vision prior to coming to Richmond, I thought his skills were something that were going to stand out.
“It hasn’t been that that’s been the absolute standout so far, I think that will come in games, it’s been his ability to find the footy and win it in tight that has impressed me.”

McCarthy hopes to spend more time in the middle of Punt Rd than in its famous grandstand.
McCarthy has quietly walked into Richmond in similar fashion he did to Highett 12 months ago.
After graduating from Cheltenham Panthers Junior Football Club, McCarthy followed friends to Old Mentonians.
Highlighting cricket at Cheltenham Park over footy at that point, he kicked the Sherrin around “to fit in with friends”.
It wasn’t until halfway through his first under-19 season he thought “maybe I should have a proper crack at this”.
Old Mentonians folded and what was its agonising loss was Highett’s immeasurable gain.
While VFL was on McCarthy’s radar during the year, it was Highett’s elimination final win over Hampton Park that gave him the confidence to make the leap.
McCarthy kicked three goals, had a stack of possessions and was named best afield in the Bulldogs’ 43-point win.
“It was definitely sort of a breakout game,” he said.
“I was new to Southern and am not a big name so that game I came in with nerves but excitement.
“When you get your hands on the footy early, you can have those days where the ball keeps coming to you.
“I thought to myself that I wanted to have a crack at a VFL pre-season at least and then that last game, that final, it sort of solidified it where my eyes were set on that.”

McCarthy, who just finished a marketing degree, said he “never worked my arse off harder than this” and had his eyes set on a contract.
Now he has his sights set on getting a game.
“It’s only come to me in the last month or two that I could really have a football career as well as a marketing career,” he said.
“Once you start to see a new pleasure in footy, you definitely start thinking the sky is the limit.
“I have got my foot in the door, my next goal is to have a crack at getting a game.
“If you told me three years ago I was going to be at VFL, I would’ve laughed.
“I have had this dream of playing semi-professional footy and it was unreachable three or four years ago but I sort of just kept sticking at it.”
As for where he stands at the selection table, coach Morris says he has some “stiff competition” but is certainly on the right track.
“He’s up against some stiff competition because we’ve got some older players he’s up against that are seriously seasoned VFL players,” he said.
“(Lachlan) Street, (Joel) Garner, Chad Harris, Tom Brindley, Cam Olden, you can continue to rattle them off.
“He’s going to have his work cut out”

Reactions: 1 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
As for where he stands at the selection table, coach Morris says he has some “stiff competition” but is certainly on the right track.
“He’s up against some stiff competition because we’ve got some older players he’s up against that are seriously seasoned VFL players,” he said.
“(Lachlan) Street, (Joel) Garner, Chad Harris, Tom Brindley, Cam Olden, you can continue to rattle them off.
“He’s going to have his work cut out”
Thought he played well, if today's game was anything to go by seems to have taken Street's spot in the guts.