21 With No Memories?? Perhaps not... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

21 With No Memories?? Perhaps not...

In October I turn 21. If you count back, that would mean I was born in October of 1982, meaning (you guessed it) I was a few weeks off seeing Richmond play in a Grand Final. As it happens, It's never happened in my lifetime. But that doesn't mean I don't have my memories from the RFC.

My old man was a Demon supporter through and through. He played footy at Doncaster and was a reasonable player. The greatest day in his life, as his stories recall, was the day he received a card in the mail. It was a card from the Richmond Football Club, one which he has to this very day. It was an invitation to come down and train with the club. In a second, he changed loyalties from Melbourne to Richmond. I can tell he still loves to talk about those days, which is good because his stories are all I have to go on. It was in the late 60's, many years before I was born.

He recalls with passion his days training with the Richmond seniors, reserves, and playing with the under 19s. He tells that they used to go through a running test every now and then. You'd have to run a certain distance (say, 10km) in a certain time. And if you didn't make it, you did it again and again until you made it in the time give. He laughed about the ideaology, "I mean, if you don't make it the first time, you're sure as hell not going to make it the next time..." One day he didn't make the distance in the time given, but fought like hell to get there the second time (and surprisingly made it).

He never played footy for Richmond Seniors, which is a pity. He used to be a great player. He played a few games for the Tiger Reserves before he was outted with a knee injury. He then faced the prospect of either continuing on and risking further, more permanent injury, or going overseas with his wife. For my sake, it's probably better he chose what he did, to go overseas with my mother. Nevertheless, I would've been unspeakably proud to say my dad was a Richmond player.

Anyway, his knees are fine these days, many many years later, for which his is fortunate. He says he has no real regrets in life, although he speaks quite fondly of his time at Tigerland.

He's been a Richmond fan ever since getting that invite back in the 60s. I still recall being told this many a time by my dad; "Look, you can support whoever you want. It's entirely your choice. But if you ever want to actually watch a VFL (/ AFL) game, you'll be a Tiger." At that point, I figured I should be a Tiger fan, and have been so ever since, as are all my brothers (he obviously did a good job)

At times, I feel like I'm a more passionate Tiger supporter than anyone out there. But I know they come more passionate than I. My old man never made it to Richmond Seniors, but I couldn't be prouder of anyone than I am of him. Thanks for the good times dad...

TS.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Good one, TS! It's not the number of games you attend, it's not how much money you expend on a membership, it's not the fights you get into at the footy, it's the loyalty and faith for the Tigers that counts! You'll see a Richmond grand final, someday...

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
TS Good story. I have been VERY fortunate to see many tiger finals wins and some losses. 5 flags in 13 years we thought it would never stop. What number was your dad??? What year did he give it away?

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
TS said:
Thanks guys ;)

Love you too...

sob.... thank the lord somebody does :D

Seriously, good story TS. Don't worry, I'm a couple of years older than you but am in the same bracket (eg never seen a Tigers GF appearance).

Aways live in hope though.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Great read TS-Something about RFC-once you get affected by it,the yellow and black is in there forever.
I had no choice either -my old man made me a Tiger and was quite a good footballer himself-his brother actually played in the vfl in the seniors as it was then with 3 clubs St. Kilda,Fitzroy and Carlton.
I think he got injured playing for the Saints in 66 and missed out on that gf.
My dad's sis and son are Tiger members too-hi Matty and Aunty Leonie ;D

Regards.

SmaSheD

The first cut is the deepest
Jan 11, 2004
HeLL
its nice to see that my so called boyfriend is once again spending more time on this and countless other sites to recall that he has a girlfriend. Hope the tigers keep you warm at nite daz coz if you keep on with this bullocks as you did last season i wont be there to.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Nothing compares to the Tiges to keep you warm at night. Might be time to bail out while the goings good cos the Tiges will cause a heat wave this year. ;)

Now was that a joke post or should we stay tuned for the next exciting installment.

Like sands through the hour glass............... ;D

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Crikey, Rosy, we might have the very first internet soapie happening right here!

PREdays of Our Lives? Gotta be better than Neighbours!

Boy meets girl.
Girl loses boy to PRE.
Boy makes a decision . . .

SmaSheD

The first cut is the deepest
Jan 11, 2004
HeLL
Roar34 said:
Crikey, Rosy, we might have the very first internet soapie happening right here!

PREdays of Our Lives?  Gotta be better than Neighbours!

Boy meets girl.
Girl loses boy to PRE.
Boy makes a decision . . .

just mite be a soap actaully. same old sh|t occuring over and over and over...
and the girl doesnt 'lose boy to PRE', he loses her over his own messed up priorities, then after a while realizes his mistake, she forgives him, but alas a few days later he does exactly the same thing...  ::)
so she must be the fool for forgiving him at all especially when she catches him in deceitful lies, and this also is not for the first time...
wonder how much longer the game of boy kicking girl around will go on???
could it be nearing the end of the match...??
final siren about to ring???

stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "PRE days of our lives"

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
oooo high drama at the PRE ranch! :-X

Will Dazza get his act together in time??? ??? :-\

Or are things doomed??? :( ???

Go Dazza You can change ya ways and get Smashed to post on here as much as you! ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
SmaSheD said:
could it be nearing the end of the match...??
final siren about to ring???

stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "PRE days of our lives"

How's the love life going SmaSheD?

Got to be more exciting than watching Richmond play anyway. Who do you barrack for?

Will there soon be a PRE proposal? Jilted lover decides if you can't beat him might as well join him and they both post away happily ever after.

Ah aint young love sweet. :)