8 y.o boy hanged by Taliban. Race, Religion or Politics? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

8 y.o boy hanged by Taliban. Race, Religion or Politics?

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
http://www.theage.com.au/world/hanging-of-eightyearold-turns-many-against-taliban-20100624-z3ds.html

IanG said:
And people want us to pull out of Afghanistan.

Please excuse my ignorance cos I haven't really followed it but what are we actually trying/hoping to achieve and when will the job be considered done?

Sickening to hear such barbaric stories.

Giardiasis said:
Could you please elaborate?

Generally speaking it has to arise from within. The people need to want it and make it happen for themselves. Democracy doesn't lend itself to being forced upon people. There has to be "institution" building: honest courts, police, parliaments etc. These type of things are hard to force down a barrel of a gun.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
its working in iraq 8)

hmmm dunno about that - or maybe you are being facetious?

Nearly 10 years and many billions (trillions?) and the yanks are still there.

Afghanistan conues to get bleaker as well

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/world/asia/26warlogs.html?_r=1

It will take over 4 generations - over 100 years. sad to say but we need to breed it out of them.

to clarify what I mean, isa theres no quick fixws over there. They have been at war for decades already.

You cant change a people and their beliefs that have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years overnight.

U2Tigers said:
It will take over 4 generations - over 100 years. sad to say but we need to breed it out of them.

to clarify what I mean, isa theres no quick fixws over there. They have been at war for decades already.

You cant change a people and their beliefs that have been around for hundreds and hundreds of years overnight.

they've been at war for years because the russians and the yanks knew about the trillions of dollars in resources

U2Tigers said:

Can you be more specific U2, breed what out of them?

evo said:
Generally speaking it has to arise from within. The people need to want it and make it happen for themselves. Democracy doesn't lend itself to being forced upon people. There has to be "institution" building: honest courts, police, parliaments etc. These type of things are hard to force down a barrel of a gun.
This is true, but how are these institutions to be established without some outside influence? Especially theocratic societies such as Afghanistan. What would India look like today without its British systems? Seems to me that imperialism might have its virtues afterall.

I think the Indian people lent itself better to a Western style democracy. And they also had their teething problems. But point taken.

Seems to me if the people want democracy badly enough, they will revolt themselves. Many Arabs are happy to live under a caliphate. It was Muhammad's grand vision.

Such as the people of Iran?

The problem is that living under Muhammad's grand vision is a security threat to the west. We can not tolerate it and therefore interventionist foreign policy becomes necessary.

Giardiasis said:
The problem is that living under Muhammad's grand vision is a security threat to the west. We can not tolerate it and therefore interventionist foreign policy becomes necessary.
Potentially the problem with this view is that you are only looking at it from one angle: ours.

The PoMos call this Orientalism

So far as the United States seems to be concerned, it is only a slight overstatement to say that Muslims and Arabs are essentially seen as either oil suppliers or potential terrorists. Very little of the detail, the human density, the passion of Arab-Moslem life has entered the awareness of even those people whose profession it is to report the Arab world. What we have instead is a series of crude, essentialized caricatures of the Islamic world presented in such a way as to make that world vulnerable to military aggression

It is difficult to empathise with cultures that ostracise half their population and conduct daily surmons to the tune of "death to America".

Speak to any Aussie soldier who has been to Iraq or Afghanistan and they will tell you that what they are doing and have done over there is making a world of difference.

Tends to mean a bit when you realise the sacrifices made and the mates lost and the *smile* they are putting up with every day over there, especially in Afghanistan.

Rfc4Ever said:
Speak to any Aussie soldier who has been to Iraq or Afghanistan and they will tell you that what they are doing and have done over there is making a world of difference.

Tends to mean a bit when you realise the sacrifices made and the mates lost and the sh!t they are putting up with every day over there, especially in Afghanistan.

Yep, and it seems odd to turn afgan men, women and children back to sea - as some would have it - when aussie soldiers are risking everything they have for them. What a world...