Dipper has been railroaded... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dipper has been railroaded...

Philster

Tiger Rookie
Jan 29, 2007
Just heared Dipper on the radio appologising for using the word "abo", and said that he'll gladly travel with Michael Long around Australia visiting communities....

Gimme a break will ya.....

This Country is fast becoming a politically correct joke....Ive got 4 mates who are of indigenous extraction and even they reckon its a joke, they call me "snowdrop", so can I ask them to do a tour of poor australian white families so that they can get a better idea of how hurtful it is to me?

Fair dinkum, so let me get this straight, Dipper has to "down tools for Auskick", do a tour with Long, and the endless photo ops that will inevitably follow for a month, and then all is forgiven and we move on huh, is that it, have I got it right?

Talk about the "squeaky wheel getting the oil",

Yes, Dipper/snowdrop, you've been a very naughty boy, so we have to make an example of you, but it wont be too difficult, just do a few interviews, trot out the usual, "unacceptable in the year 2010 stuff", "say that you're dissappointed that you said it", and then you'll be back before you know it..

God help us.. :mad:

Good to see Australians developing.

Was a time past when Australians woke up to words like Dago, Wog, et al, being unacceptable.

Great to see that it has gone a step further.

Question:

What if Dipper had introduced himself......" blah, blah, brownlow medallist etc etc.......not bad for a wog eh?"

Would there have been the same outrage?

Philster said:
Just heared Dipper on the radio appologising for using the word "abo", and said that he'll gladly travel with Michael Long around Australia visiting communities....

Gimme a break will ya.....

This Country is fast becoming a politically correct joke....Ive got 4 mates who are of indigenous extraction and even they reckon its a joke, they call me "snowdrop", so can I ask them to do a tour of poor australian white families so that they can get a better idea of how hurtful it is to me?

Fair dinkum, so let me get this straight, Dipper has to "down tools for Auskick", do a tour with Long, and the endless photo ops that will inevitably follow for a month, and then all is forgiven and we move on huh, is that it, have I got it right?

Talk about the "squeaky wheel getting the oil",

Yes, Dipper/snowdrop, you've been a very naughty boy, so we have to make an example of you, but it wont be too difficult, just do a few interviews, trot out the usual, "unacceptable in the year 2010 stuff", "say that you're dissappointed that you said it", and then you'll be back before you know it..

God help us.. :mad:
Strongly disagree. There is no such thing as a liitle bit racist. You make comments that are in anyway derrogatory of a person based on racial difference, that is racism, even if the comment is just intended to be funny. It isn't funny and just because your friends are robust enough not to care, doesn't change anythng.

http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40716.30

Phar Ace said:
Question:

What if Dipper had introduced himself......" blah, blah, brownlow medallist etc etc.......not bad for a wog eh?"

Not nowadays.

thejinx said:
Abo is just a shortening of the full name... Don't see the problem with it.

Windies
Poms
Pakies
Saffas
Kiwis
Lankans

....Aussies.

Ban 'em all I say.

Freezer said:
Windies
Poms
Pakies
Saffas
Kiwis
Lankans

....Aussies.

Ban 'em all I say.
As you well know Freezer, call someone a Paki in the UK and there will be trouble. Yet growing up I used to read "Pakis beat Poms/Aussies" or words to that effect as headlines on our papers. Not sure if they still do?

A lot has to do with the connotation and history obviously. Not keen on political correctness for correctness sake.

I think the problem here is not the word "abo", but the fact that he said "not bad for an abo". The point being, it might have been just as insulting, probably even more so, if he had said "not bad for an indigenous Australian".

23.21.159 said:
I think the problem here is not the word "abo", but the fact that he said "not bad for an abo". The point being, it might have been just as insulting, probably even more so, if he had said "not bad for an indigenous Australian".

That's the way I saw it too. I don't think it was intentional but on face value it sounded like an inference that Aboriginals are usually not that crash hot.

I wasn't aware of the context.

In that case, then yes, what he said could have been offensive regardless of whether he said 'abo' or 'aboriginal'.

It's a joke.
This place is going to the pack.
lets just call all every one players. Who care if they are black white brown yellow or green.
We are all just people lets stop using different term for people.

I'm waiting for Mal Brown, Dipper and Joey John's to do an act on red faces.

thejinx said:
Abo is just a shortening of the full name... Don't see the problem with it.
Political correctness at its best.

Does this mean anyone that refers to us as aussies, regardless of where they come from is racist?

Phar Ace said:
Question:

Most likely not, because it is self-deprecating humour. It would still occasion an uncomfortable pause, I'd imagine.

The point is that the word abo is offensive to Indigenous people. It's widely known to be offensive to Indigenous people.

Look, I don't think Dipper is a racist. But he made a very stupid choice in making such a statement, and I acknowledge that Dipper isn't known for intellectual prowess. When you make such a mistake, particularly publicly, you have a price to pay. Dipper needs to take his medicine. He's admitted his mistake and is prepared to do something about undoing the harm. Good on him I say.

Damn shame that some ignorant nimrods around here can't fathom the situation as well as Dipper does. Trying to justify such language is surely at the root of the massive disadvantage that Indigenous Australians face. Fair dinkum - shortening Dipierdomenico as an analogy - some have no idea what this is all about.

I think my only issue is with some sort of suspension. Why stop him doing the wonderful work he does with Auskick? Aren't the kids the ones who miss out there. My guess is that's the AFL's media & marketing mob making sure they appear to be super strong on the issue.