9 rounds in 6 Weeks - Player availability concern? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

9 rounds in 6 Weeks - Player availability concern?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Word is they are going to condense 9 rounds into 6 weeks which 1) which will favor teams with depth, 2) Teams with few injuries.

My question is how are we situated?

We have had a dream draw that has enabled us to clock up a few wins with a depleted side, (Sydney and North no-one can deny are easybeats).

So real test starts now.

All of a sudden medium term injuries become long term injuries in the context of the season.

4-6 weeks, (effectively become 7 to 9 game injuries?)

Nank
Prestia
Caddy

Indefinite for personal reasons but fit to go when ready:

Bachar, (best wishes for his mum's recovery from Covid)
Shedda, (anyone know when the baby is due?)

Returning:

Dave, (this week)
Cotch, (next week)

Realistic Depth Players, (not int team at present), that can be rotated in for the odd game if needed:
Stack
Ross
Garthwaite
CJ
Naish
Dow
RCD

As long as Cotch has no more hamstring troubles we get enough steel back into the midfield to win our fair share.

There are no guarantees for the returns of Prestia and Nank.

We can live without Nank but not Prestia for another Premiership tilt IMO.

Shedda and Bachar will be back at some point.

Bottom line is it will be challenging as teams will have to use their full list to weather condensed games. Unfortunately Richmond does not have it's full list at its disposal put depth should see us through?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My concern is our injured players ala Prestia Nanks Caddy plus Houli and Edwards would if available be underdone as no reserves to give them a run around. Some tricky decisions to be made if we end up at the pointy end of season.

Reactions: 1 users
Suits us. We have close to the best depth in the league (IMO), especially due to our system based game plan.

Reactions: 7 users
I reckon everyone but Bachar will be available for 2 matches before finals.

then we win the flag.

I feel like anyone who doesn't think this, is deluding themselves.

we are a better side more experienced side than 2017

and a fair bit ahead of same point 2019.

I reckon a significant injury to Dusty, Grimesy or Big Tom is about all that can stop us now.

Reactions: 8 users
More games in fewer weeks could help us get back something we lost due to the shortened quarters. Our ability to overrun teams.

IMO, we are by far the best running team in the comp and that’s by design due to preparation and recruiting. We have largely lost that advantage because of the shorter games but could get it back and then some due to the accumulated fatigue of nine games in six weeks.

Reactions: 8 users
Firstly, I reckon its insane and pointless to compact games to reduce the season. It makes zero sense to me. We should return to 9 games per weekend, 20 minute quarters and a GF on the Sunday before the Melbourne Cup (with the public holiday moved from late September to Cup Eve Monday). But the AFL makes these calls and we have to accept the circumstances. I just hope that if we make the big one, we can find a way to get there (wherever it is played)

my opinion is that these games will suit us down to the ground. We play a survival of the fittest-type game where we grind down the opposition. We have the best depth. And we will time our run so we are peaking and have our best players back for the finals. You could even argue we are better placed than 2019. I reckon we just need to win 7 games out of 10 to make the top 4 (we had to win 9 in a row last year).

People are worried about injuries, but we're not on our own. We had 5 of our best 10 players out last week, but so did Norf. Collingwood have issues. GWS have issues. Geelong have issues. Footscray have issues. Essendon have issues. Port and Brisbane are better placed on the injury front, but they lack the depth.

More games in fewer weeks could help us get back something we lost due to the shortened quarters. Our ability to overrun teams.

this 100%

Reactions: 2 users
I reckon everyone but Bachar will be available for 2 matches before finals.

then we win the flag.

I feel like anyone who doesn't think this, is deluding themselves.

we are a better side more experienced side than 2017

and a fair bit ahead of same point 2019.

I reckon a significant injury to Dusty, Grimesy or Big Tom is about all that can stop us now.
I agree with this (therefore not delusional):)

There is some upside in almost being forced to play blokes like CCJ, Dow, Naish and others.

Get Prestia, Nank and Caddy back before finals, maybe get Edwards. We'd be near full strength.

Not sure we'll see Bash again. I hope we do but he could have played his last for the Tiges.

I reckon if we get Cotch back for most of the season and no further key injuries we can win enough games to make the top four and make a run at it from there. We probably need Dion back as well to win it again I would think. I keep thinking of all the injuries we have but there isn't really any other team that we should be scared of. Maybe Collingwood who can get a lightning start and then hold on.

The more games they get in the more money they make for the Broadcasters.

Also the desire to have the players getting enough rest time before the 2021 season.

There is going to be some very ordinary games and easy wins likely in the last few weeks of the season after sides that are out of it throw the towel in and just play kids.

Might work out well for teams hubbed with those who've checked out.

Realistically, 9 games in 6 weeks (42 days) isn't that much different to what our original late June /July / August looked like, we were scheduled to play
21st June
27th June
4th July
10th July
18th July
26th July
31st July
9th August
16th August

Thats 9 in 56 days that includes a couple of 8 day breaks & a 9 day break

9 in 42 would still have average nearly 5.5 day breaks ? I have alternated between 5 & 6 day breaks below
Day 1
Day 6
Day 12
Day 17
Day 23
Day 28
Day 34
Day 39
Day 45

Reactions: 1 user
20 straight days of footy in the next fixture block

So the tigers get the first 5 day break playing the doggies who get an extra day to prepare.

sounds fair - get ready to be shafted.