A DROP OF DYER - Vintage 1967 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A DROP OF DYER - Vintage 1967

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
Not lost for an interest after he finished his playing and coaching career, JD became a columnist for the Truth newspaper, appeared on tv's World of Sport, and was football commentator on the radio for many years with Ian Major as The Captain and the Major.

While researching RFC Forty Years Ago - 1967, I realised I had some of the articles Dyer wrote for the Truth and, though I don't have all of them, I thought what I did have might be of interest to other Tiger-minded people.

And where better to exhibit them than on PRE!

Looking forward to reading them Growl :)..great work and it's cool your sharing with the Tiger loving world :fing32.

THE MAGPIES ARE GOING SOFT!
Jack Dyer, the famous Captain Blood, this week begins
a provocative series of articles on the twelve VFL clubs.
What more appropriate club to begin with than his old hate club
Collingwood. [Truth Newspaper 1967]

Collingwood are in the football dumps. Only two premierships in over 30 years would make old Jock McHale turn over in his grave.
Sure they’re bobbing up in the finals, more than they’re missing, but only one thing counted with old Jock, and that was the flag. The have missed on a couple by the bare point – but Collingwood are supposed to win the close ones.
So I’m wondering if there is a bit of softness creeping into the Magpies. They’re still the side we all want to beat but you can’t hate their players the way you used to. They’ve shown themselves to be humans instead of machines.
In times gone by the only comment a pressman could get from a Magpie was a snarl. Instead of a handshake the opponent usually got a kick in the ankle or a back-hander. But they’re a different breed now.
Not that I could ever like the club. The past is still too vivid. Even when I have a nightmare it isn’t in colour, just black and white. The colours of the meanest, toughest club ever to run on to a football field – Collingwood.
It was Richmond’s hatred of Collingwood that finally won me an invitation to train with the Tigers back in 1930. Collingwood invited me to train with them. No sooner did I apply for a clearance to the Magpies than Richmond coach, Checker Hughes, insisted I train at Richmond. I often shudder at the thought of how close I was to wearing black and white instead of black and yellow.
Still, even with Collingwood, you have to give credit where it’s due. They’ve been a great club with great players and great coaches. They’ve never lacked for courage and they’ve got the best record of any VFL club. I’ve often wondered how much this was due to the influence of the late Jock McHale, a bitter loser if ever there was one.
The first time I made the Richmond seniors was as 19th man against the Magpies. It was that machine that won four successive premierships in the late ‘twenties. That was a terrifying experience although I didn’t get on the ground.
Sitting on the bench with Checker Hughes, I trembled at every bump and my spine crawled every time a Tiger hit the turf. The first injury and I was on. They made them tough in those days and although the terrifying Rumney, the Colliers and Coventrys were playing at their toughest, not one Tiger player came off. What’s more, we won.
At Collingwood, the players had to accept the ruthlessness of the administrators. Two of the greatest names at Collingwood were Leeta and Harry Collier. Leeta was a Brownlow winner and their greatest player, and Harry was captain. They were fiery players and had given the drive for those four successive premierships, and between them they played for the Magpies for 32 years. Yet, just before the ‘39-’45 war, both trained furiously to be ready for their final year with the Magpies. They planned to retire at the end of the year.
Collingwood had other ideas. When the final lists were announced, a club official got up and addressed the players. “The following players are deleted from the lists . . . Albert Collier, Harold Collier.” No warning, no quiet tip off to retire, just that brutal announcement. They took it on the chin, the Collingwood way.
Collingwood were always a hard team to beat and they didn’t mind pulling a trick or two to help. How blessed the Magpies have been by the weather at times. It could be dry all over Victoria, yet the Collingwood ground would be a quagmire because of a convenient local shower.
When I captained and coached the Tigers I could never understand why the Magpies seemed to leap away to a quick early lead. I woke up one bright sunny day just how they did it. We were blinded by the sun as we ran out from the dressing room and they had six goals on the board before we accustomed our eyes to the glare. At half-time we went back to our little dungeon that served as the visitors’ room – and I found the fault.
They had fitted the room with weak 25-watt globes, and in the gloom you could hardly see your hand in front of you. After that, my baggage man always carried a few more powerful globes when we went to Collingwood. We took them with us when we left, and I don't think they ever realised we were up to their game.
It was always a drawback to beat Collingwood on their home ground on a cold, wet day. When defeat was inevitable they turned off the hot water and you had to have a cold shower. Richmond’s Brown Bomber, George Smeaton, was awake, and when it was obvious we had a game won, he feigned an injury and had a quick shower before the water went cold. If they bothered to send you a drink after a defeat, you could bet they had it on the stove for half an hour.
For all their tradition the Magpies haven’t been free of trouble. They’ve had near players’ strikes, players mixing in club politics and heavy committee clashes. Jock McHale turned Ron Todd’s portrait to the wall when the champion full-forward crossed to the VFA without a clearance. “That’s what we do to traitors,” he roared. But all’s forgiven now and Todd’s back in favour.
One of the club’s most sensational rows was the fight between John Galbally and Tom Sherrin for presidency. To the surprise of most, Sherrin won and the resignations of Frank Galbally and Jock McHale junior followed. Phonse Kyne resigned as coach and Bob Rose slipped into his shoes.
No other League club can boast of two full-forwards of the calibre of Todd and Nuts Coventry. Nuts was a scrupulously fair player, but after all, he was Collingwood, and Richmond look back with a certain amount of malice and satisfaction to 1936 when the Tigers and Magpies clawed out a match.
Tiger full-back Joe Murdoch noticed Nuts had a cluster of angry boils on the back of his neck. Joe, an extremely considerate fellow, decided the boils should be punctured to relieve the pressure. Up they went for a mark and Joe gave the boils a whack. Nuts became the first cosmonaut as he shot into space with a yell of agony. He landed on the run and knocked Murdoch flat with one punch. Probably the only one he threw in football. He was reported.

Collingwood were perturbed. They needed Nuts for the finals. An official approached Murdoch and offered him £100 to admit the attack on the boils. £100 then was like $10,000 now [1967] but Joe hated the Magpies and stayed mum. Nuts went out, Collingwood lost the flag and Murdoch claimed the credit.
Not everybody hated Collingwood at Richmond because they sacked me as coach after making the four six times as coach. They put in a Collingwood man, Alby Pannam, as my replacement, and they haven’t been in the four since – 17 years!
Mention Jock McHale and the Collingwood fanatics start declaring him the greatest coach in the history of the game. Jock had to handle some of the roughest and toughest players the game has produced. Yet they walked in fear of him. He didn’t like losers. The game’s greatest full-back, Jack Regan, could tell you that.
Regan, playing his first game for the Magpies, missed a goal he should have kicked with his eyes shut. It cost them the game. Jock, in a cold rage, sat on a chair in the middle of the dressing-room while the players changed in silence. Nobody went near him.
Regan smiled: “Bad luck, coach.”
McHale erupted: “You long skinny — go down and throw yourself in the river. That’s an order!”
You just didn’t talk to him if you lost.

I FLATTENED THE PRIME MINISTER’S NEPHEW
THE VFL CLUBS — a series by Jack Dyer. [Truth Newspaper 1967]

Fitzroy call themselves the Lions, but it should be the clowns – they are the laughing stock of the VFL. Their wins are so rare, that victory is cause for a premiership-type celebration.
For years Fitzroy have not been worthy members of the VFL but who is to blame? They’ve never been happy at the old squalid Fitzroy ground. They have been given little help by the VFL, and now they are being used as pawns in another intrigue. But at last they have a golden chance to rise from the depressing depths.
They have a class coach, Bill Stephen, an inspiring captain, Kevin Murray, and a grand new ground in Carlton. I believe they will get to Carlton but the holdup is giving them a bad and disorganised start to the season. I think that the people behind blocking the move to Carlton are trying to protect their own schemes, regardless of the effect it will have on the Lions. *
I hope the delegates who represent the clubs on the VFL are men enough to stamp on the petty intriguing and give Fitzroy the green light. Fitzroy are cursed with poor recruiting territory and are caught in the middle of the Carlton and Collingwood territories.
But they cannot escape the fact that their repeated failure is partly due to their own poor administration. Probably Fitzroy’s administration has been the worst in the history of the VFL. The Lions have a record of squabbles and intrigue. But they’ve had a new broom and the so-called reform committee has promised a bright new future.
I don’t predict big leaps up the ladder this year, or even next year. But I like their leadership of Stephen and Murray. And if they can’t attract recruits at Carlton and improve their style of play, then the Lions might as well pack up and make way for a team with a future.
The committee must realise ground and leadership alone will not do the trick. They must get their hands on a wad of money and buy the best recruits in the land. That’s the job that past Fitzroy committees have failed to handle. It would be a great pity to see the Lions close up shop.
The club that produced Hadyn Bunton deserves a better fate. The late Hadyn was one of the finest ball-handlers I’ve seen. He deserved his three Brownlows, but I can never concede that he was the best player in the history of the game. Certainly he was one of the fairest players, which caused an even greater shock the day I found my nose on the receiving end of a mighty blow from Hadyn’s fist.
I was dreaming. I didn’t believe it. The blow was fully and rightly earned, but Hadyn didn’t do those things! He was the target for every football charger in the business. Plenty of times he copped it and plenty of times, with a delightful baulk or twist, he would gracefully glide out of the way.
He could make the most elegant footballers look like three-legged elephants. And he was as pretty of face as he was of football. Mobs of girls chased him. We never found out how great he was. This is the tragedy of Bunton. He was a star in a feeble side. He shone like a beacon.
The day he slugged me he had to put up with the same tactics he suffered in every match. I was pushing, pulling and shoving at him and every other Richmond player who got close enough, did the same. That’s football. Beat Bunton and you beat Fitzroy.
Every coach in the League opened his remarks before a Fitzroy game by saying: “Only one player can beat you, Bunton. I want him under lock and key for the day.”
But you couldn’t keep him under. He was too good and he won three Brownlows. Even in the umpire department he had finesse. I remember him going
up to an umpire after the Lions had been beaten by about 20 goals. “That was one
of the finest umpiring performances I’ve seen,” he told the umpire. No man’s vanity
could resist that. I’ll bet he got four votes that day.
When I remember Hadyn it makes me sad to think that some critics have compared him with his son Hadyn jun. Hadyn jun. wasn’t in the same league.
Fitzroy cannot blame their coaches for lack of success. Apart from Bill Stephen, they had the famous Smith brothers, Norm and Len. Norm was only a stop-gap before going to Melbourne. He couldn’t get on with that weird committee and he made no secret of it.
Len took over and had just as much trouble, but he stuck to his guns and got the side into the four, and it was side with little more talent than the present one. He did have one important ingredient – a lion-hearted ruckman Alan (Butch) Gale, aided by a lot of players who could play as a team.
Smith brought most of his kids on from the Thirds and he treated them as he would his sons.
Fitzroy’s era of greatness, and they did have one, goes back almost beyond memory. Their modern triumphs have come from Brownlows. After Bunton they had Dinny Ryan and Baron Ruthven.
It’s strange that they’ve never had much political pull. Twice during the war I flattened a young Fitzroy player. Later I was introduced to John Curtin, Prime Minister of Australia. He said: “Oh, yes, you’re the fellow who keeps flattening my nephew, Claude.” [Claude Curtin, 4-time LGK]
Next time I encountered Claude I decided to be a trifle more gentle. After all the PM had too many important things on his mind than to have to worry about his nephew. But things happen. A well-packed maroon jumper got in my way and I put my shoulder through it. Inside that guernsey was the luckless Claude. I made off up the ground. The Richmond players I left behind were not too happy. The crowd pelted them with bottles and fruit.
The Lions haven’t always been so tardy in the recruiting field. Perc Mitchell, their former secretary, would pull any stunt to get a recruit. He came down to training at Richmond one night bemoaning his lack of big men. He told me we had a player named Hammond. He said: “He is just a hack, but he’d be handy for us. You’ll never use him. He’s as slow as a wet week and runs like a hobbled duck.”
Old Perc talked like a gatling gun. I took his word for it and we cleared Hammond. The following week he was named in the Fitzroy side. He killed them and was best afield. The critics raved that Fitzroy had another Horrie Clover. Was I in trouble? Perc had told me Hammond was 26. He turned out to be 20. Perc said he couldn’t kick, yet he totted up five magnificent goals.
He was like a gazelle, with hands that stuck to his marks like a suction cap. I’d been taken! I vowed that I would never clear another player without first putting him through his paces. But be sure your sins will find you out. Hammond broke down in his very next match and never played again. I’m sorry for the kid, but it was a load off my mind. Our committee didn’t know that Hammond had been tied to Richmond and I never bothered to tell them.
Fitzroy may lack in many ways, but they have one precious commodity – loyal supporters who have stuck through thick and thin. I believe that Fitzroy can lift themselves. It will take time, but I expect them to show a big improvement this season. Thanks to Stephen and Murray.

[*Fitzroy did move to Princes Park in 1967 for home games. From 1970-84 played home games at Junction Oval, St Kilda. 1985-6 saw them playing at Victoria Park. Next moved back to Princes Park 1987-93. 1994 moved to Western Oval. Merged with Brisbane Bears end of 1996 season.]

CINDERELLA SOUTH MUST FORGET THE FAIRIES
The VFL Clubs, a great series by Jack Dyer. [Truth Newspaper 1967]

The Cinderella Team — that’s a title many League clubs have deserved, but it belongs solely to South Melbourne.
For 22 years the Swans have been promising themselves a ball, only to turn into pumpkins when the clock sounds full time.
Since 1945 South have thrived on fairy tales. They’ve dressed up and tried to bluff their way into winning that prince of prizes – a place in the final four. But they’ve always had too many ugly sisters in the side and only one beauty.
The beauty for the past decade has been Bobby Skilton. Before that it was Ron Clegg.
AND THEY’VE TRIED THEIR DARNDEST TO FIND A FAIR DINKUM FAIRY-GODMOTHER FOR A COACH.
Since 1945, when they poured their good red blood over the turf in that epic grand final brawl with Carlton, they have had no fewer than 10 coaches.
The latest to be handed the magic wand is successful Under 19 coach Alan Miller.
Before him have gone such wizards as Bull Adams, Jack Hale, Whopper Lane, Laurie Nash, Herbie Matthews, Clegg, Bill Faul, Noel McMahen and Skilton.
All couldn’t have been fakes.
The first thing that Miller has to do is to get all that stardust out of the players’ eyes. These boys have believed all the propaganda written about them without ever bothering to prove it.
A team of stars, the critics rave.
In my book there are more pumpkins than stars in the South side. But they’re tremendously promising pumpkins. I think Alan Miller is just the fellow to turn these pumpkins into long-lasting and genuine princes of football.
Once he convinces them that a mere wave of the wand cannot transform them into a wonder team, he’ll have the battle won. This side has as much potential as any in the League. It has class on every line, but there is always something lacking.
IS IT CONSISTENCY? TEAMWORK? BACKING UP? DETERMINATION? FITNESS?
It’s a bit of each, and if Miller is the coach I think he is, this Swan side can push that Cinderella title on to a more slovenly side. South fans are sick to death of listening to the same pledges every year.
And with a side packed with Skilton, Austin Robertson, Magee, John, Papley, Sarich, Way and Priest, it looks like another vintage year for promises.
The big experiment for the Swans this year is Skilton. Miller should go a step further to relieve the pressures on this great player. Skilton can be most valuable to South without the burden of heavy responsibility.
Skilton will be a great player, with or without responsibility. With nothing on his mind but getting the ball he can be fantastic. As coach his game suffered as a result of having to needle umpires and encourage players.
This still is the lot of the captain, but Miller will be well advised to dictate from the bench and allow Skilton to concentrate on his game.
Brilliant deeds more than fiery words will lift a side to great heights, and Skilton is one of the greatest side-lifters the game has produced.
It’s a strange facet of the Swans that they have had magnificent players down through the years. Inspiring team-lifters all of them. Yet for some unaccountable reason they’ve never achieved the full result. South are proof of the old adage that a champion team will beat a team of champions.
Always they have basked in their glorious reputations and forever have tried to impress crowds with their finesse. With the result that South matches usually are filled with all that’s best and most spectacular in football, but with the end result being more glorious defeats than hard fought victories.
Football the modern way is not a glamorous sport. It’s a pro game and the credits are given on results.
South over the past couple of decades, must rate the title as the most unsuccessful club in the history of the game. Much of the blame can be attributed to interfering and non-effective committees – the underlying cause of all football failure.
Whether the South committee has woken up at last remains to be seen. If they can take a word of advice this is it. Mind your own business this year and stay out of Miller’s hair. Whatever he wants, give it to him.
Let him take the bull by the horns. If he brings glory to the club you all can bask in it. Because by non-interference you will prove yourself the shrewdest and most valuable of committees.
The Swans have always had stars in their eyes, even back in those grand old Foreign Legion days of 1933-34-35. And they’ve proved, countless times, that stars are not enough. Even the greatest ever, Laurie Nash, couldn’t lift them to a string of premierships.
What a team they had in those days. Surely South should have won every premiership for a decade. They were unable to blend as a team.
The fantastic Bob Pratt was the spearhead of the side and I doubt if any full-forward will ever get within cooee of his mammoth 150 goals in one season. Conditions were different than but his feat was the greatest individual one-season performance by any player. [pictured: Pratt marking over Maurie Sheahan, 1934]
The Swans won only one premiership in that period – in 1933, and even then it should have been a Tiger premiership. We had them cold in the second semi-final when we made the tactical error of easing up and make sure we didn’t suffer any injuries. Pratt went mad, rained goals on us and instead of having the week’s rest we found South going into the grand final while we had to win our way the hard way. With the rest South won the flag easily. It should have been a different story.
I have no doubt that Nash was the greatest footballer I have seen. The old Queen of the Air was courageous, fast, shrewd, brilliant, and possessed uncanny spring and anticipation. What a great sportsman he was. But for that kink that made him a champion footballer he could have been a Test cricket immortal.
He was called into Test cricket to combat the menace of the Larwood bodyline, but Australia didn’t persevere with retaliation. Laurie didn’t win any friends in the English team in that match.
There was another time when the interstate police cricket team met a combined country XI. Laurie and I were in the police team and it was a three-day match at Warrnambool. Laurie never lacked confidence in himself. “I’ll give you a two-day holiday,” he declared. “I’ll have it all over in a day.”
No sooner said than done. He took 6/13 in the first innings, 7/14 in the second, and we won by an innings on the first day. He clean bowled the lot. “I had to hit the dollies,” he explained. “I couldn’t trust you fellows to hold the catches.”
It was against South that Jack McMurray established himself as the greatest in my book. The two sides were locked together in the dying moments of the match. Richmond were a point or two in front when fullback Maurie Sheahan took a mark over Pratt.
Slowly and deliberately he studied the turf and then decided on a time-wasting place kick. He kicked up a piece of turf and started to dig a hole to place the ball. McMurray got furious as Sheahan dug and dug. Finally, McMurray took the ball and gave a free kick to Pratt who dobbed a goal to give the Swans the lead.
We swung back into attack, kicked a goal and won the match, but the Richmond officials were ropable with McMurray. They were going to report him. They argued that as he had signalled time-on Sheahan couldn’t be wasting time. McMurray stopped all arguments by walking straight into the Tiger’s den.
“You had no right to do that,” the Tigers snarled. “I had a perfect right,” he countered . “Under the first rule of the game, the umpire is in sole charge. Now shut up and give me a beer.”
A lot of people claim that Bob Pratt was too slow to be rated the best full-forward. Shows you how little some people know. Jack Regan, undisputed King of all full backs, was pretty nifty on his feet. He ran at Stawell. Yet once he confided to me that Pratt could beat him in the run to the ball any time he liked.
What a freak was Pratt. A couple of inches under six feet he could soar into the air higher than any man I have seen. His breath-taking marks still live in the minds of every player and spectator of that era. Great as he was, he had a great player in Nash seeing he was given the opportunities. The season Pratt kicked 150 goals, Nash booted 80 of his own from centre half-forward.
Another of Pratt’s unforgettable performances was against Essendon. He was very ill with the flu, but decided to play. Laurie Nash was on ‘Narcissus’ Rippon at centre half-forward. That might have been the day Ted lost his hair because Nash took marks standing on his head. With the gate wide open at centre half-forward, Pratt kicked 15.3.
Jim Cleary was another of South’s great players. One of his favourite stories comes from a match against North Melbourne when he was minding Sel Murray. Murray’s rovers were inclined to be goal hungry and rarely bothered to look for him when shooting towards goal. Murray made two perfect breaks from Cleary and led perfectly for the ball only to be ignored by the rovers who shot over his head.
“Well, that’s it for the day,” Sell said to Cleary. “No point in trying to get a kick with that mob.” Murray went back and leaned against the goal post. Jim thought he was trying to get him in.
“Do you follow the horses, Jim?” Murray called out. “No,” said Cleary.
“Well, you’d better today. I’ve had a few quid on a 20/1 shot and it will win.” Still Cleary was suspicious. “No, I don’t bet.”
A few minutes later Murray ran at him and thumped him on the back, yelling: “I told you to be with me. It just won!” The goal umpire reported him for striking Cleary. The tribunal took a lot of convincing.
Another time Herbie Matthews was addressing the South players and they had a couple of VIPs in the room – a monsignor and a judge. Herbie, a great player and a forthright speaker told Clearey: “If I look like getting a bit too worked up, just tug my knicks and I’ll stop.”
Herbie blasted off. Cleary says Herbie got so worked up, and he had to tug his knicks so often that he finally pulled them right off.
South are most famous for their blood bath Grand Final in 1945. Although Jack (Basher) Williams and his fellow Swans are given much of the credit for that encounter, I think Carlton really started it. The week before, Carlton gave Collingwood much the same treatment. South were hot favourites for the flag and brawn looked the only weapon to beat them.
I could never comprehend all the reports from that Grand Final and the subsequent heavy sentences. The umpires had to rely on memory and there was so much to remember it’s beyond me how anybody could have been suspended. It looked like the trial at Nuremberg when 11 players faced the tribunal.
That was the match when Ken Hands was knocked unconscious and the only fellow within many yards was Jack Williams. “Poor chap, it’s been too hot,” he confided to the umpire. “He just fainted right away.”
A good look at Basher in his heyday was enough to make anybody faint.
Ron Clegg also fainted that day, and Bert Deacon, always a gentleman, picked him up. Clegg was facing the wrong way when he was handed the ball. He didn’t know where he was. Deacon turned him around and faced him in the right direction and said: “Now kick it.” No wonder Deacon won a Brownlow. I would have pointed him toward my goals.
Something happened to the Swans that day. They’d had such gory names as the Bloods and the Bloodstained Angels. That’s enough to lift any side. But since 1945 they’ve become the graceful Swans. And they’ve shown as much tenacity as a batch of cygnets. I could never understand why South repeatedly failed to make the finals from ’45 onwards.
Around the early fifties they had a crackerjack side. I remember one of their visits to Richmond. It was a humiliating experience. Mopsy Fraser was in his prime. Bill Morris, Ray Poulter, Billy Wilson and many other stars, were playing at their top.
At three-quarter time we hadn’t scored a solitary point. No Richmond side has ever been given such a drubbing in modern times. One paper summed up the game neatly in their best players:

South: All of them.
Richmond: None of them.

At the time I had a newsagency and lolly shop – in South Melbourne. When I got home there were 200 outside – all South supporters, allegedly waiting for the papers. They were waiting for me. I went into the shop, picked up the papers and hurled them into the street, then went upstairs to sulk.
Two hours later, Ron Clegg marched into the shop through a back door, followed by a complete brass band, trumpets, trombones, cymbals, the works. They certainly took their victories well.
They haven’t been able to gloat since.

[note from Growl: In my records, I can only find a game in 1951, Round 13, where we kicked 3 behinds in first quarter and added another one in the second. However, we finished with a score of 8.8 – 13.17. Still, why spoil a good story!]

THE DAY THE TIGERS FAILED TO TURN UP.
Jack Dyer continues his series on VFL clubs (Truth Newspaper 1967)

A shadow hangs over North. This year their dressing room will not echo to the frothing, emotional orations of Alan Killigrew. Yet his presence still haunts the club.

Season ’67 is vital to North and it will lay the legend of Killigrew. North’s progress should show, once and for all, the quality of Killigrew as a coach.

Because the reins have been taken up by a skilled, orthodox coach in Keith McKenzie. He’ll be a strange contrast to the emotional Killigrew. He won’t deliver fiery, fanatical speeches that will send the players’ blood pressure skywards. Only Killigrew had that quality to turn intelligent men into a team of ferocious, win at all costs, robots.

Killigrew didn’t have much success with North. His critics, and there were plenty of them, said his oratory was baloney and was detrimental to the club. They branded him a hot gospeller and said North would be a better team when he left. McKenzie will show whether they were right or wrong. McKenzie has acquired Bob Pascoe, but this is offset by the extra year that will be weighing heavily on Noel Teasdale, John Dugdale and Laurie Dwyer.

If anything McKenzie has a little less to work on than Killigrew, because Bob Pascoe is doubtful following his broken leg. The side was mature enough last year to have done the job. Either they weren’t good enough or Killigrew wasn’t. This year will show.

North are now the only VFL side never to have won a premiership. They’ve lived up to everything I thought of them when I first joined League ranks.

They were the first side I saw and the worst. In my first VFL game Richmond beat them, 30-19 to 4-7, and Doug Strang [pictured] kicked 14 goals.

North were known as the Shinboners, and rightly so. Many a League veteran still carries the scars of those evil days. North’s side of ’66 was supposed to be tough and rough. They were in the nappy class compared to the depression-days North.

I’d rather be feared as an ex-Shinboner than accused of being a jumper — and what else is a kangaroo?

Yet North can never be accused of being frightened. They’ve always been a tough breed and they should have won a premiership under coach Wally Carter.

In 1950 they had a crackerjack side when they made the Grand Final. How stiff can you be to strike Essendon and John Coleman at your one and only chance for a flag?

They were tough all right, although I remember once when I told an interstate player that Ted Jarrard was a weakie. My conscience still hurts.

It was in the mudbath Brisbane carnival series in the early ‘50s. I told a South Australian toughie named Tilley that the Vics were weak, and invited him to have a crack at Jarrard. Tilley said this was to be his last State game and he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory.

“They’re all weak,” I told him. “They’ve lived on their reputations for years. Mopsy Fraser, Charlie Sutton, Ted Jarrard and Gordon Hocking. Show ‘em who is boss.”

Tilley ran onto the ground burning with fervor to tame the Victorian toughies. CRASH! Down went Jarrard, bleeding and smothered in mud. Coach Checker Hughes screamed at him to come off.

“Not until I kill this —,” Jarrard screamed back. Hocking, Sutton, Jarrard and Fraser converged on the friendless Tilley. CRASH . . . SLURP! There was Tilley, bleeding and buried a foot deep in the mud and slush. All he said to me after the match was, “Aw, Jack, why did you do that to me?”

To be quite honest, I don’t know, but I was truly repentant as I looked into his swollen eyes and battered body.

There has never been any great love between Richmond and North and it probably stems from the Association days when North frightened the Tigers out of turning up for a match. The old timers at Richmond still recall that day of shame.

North needed the win badly, and someone passed the message along that the Shinboners had had two truckloads of rocks delivered and unloaded alongside the visiting players’ race. It was ready ammunition in case of defeat. The North crowd has changed since those days, thank goodness.

Leeta Collier once had a run-in with spectators at North and it earned him a 12-week suspension.

The abuse, mush and slush thrown at visiting players in the bad old days made it a good ground to stay away from. You couldn’t wash off the mud after the match because the club, as nasty as Collingwood in defeat, used to turn off the water.

One of the great North players was that giant Johnny Lewis, who later played for Melbourne and gave them strength. He was a frightening fellow when he picked you up by the shirtfront.

I almost met my Waterloo against Mr Lewis when our star winger Alan Geddes asked Wally Carter: “How do you want to play it. Fair or foul?”

“Fair,” answered Wally, following up a little later with a perfectly foul punch. Geddes was out cold so I had to intervene.

I lifted Carter a foot off the ground when Johnny Lewis grabbed and lifted me two feet off the ground. I still had Wally off the ground and we looked like a string of sausages! “What are you up to, Dyer?” snarled Lewis.

“Nothing, nothing at all,” I assured him. You should have seen the bottles and stones flying that day.

Geddes recovered his senses in the dressing room after the match, borrowed a car and went hunting for Carter. Fortunately he didn’t find him. Lewis was a great footballer and not a violent one, although he was as strong as any player I have seen.

Umpires were never my great favourites and I seldom wasted an opportunity to have a go at one. Against Hawthorn a fellow named Murphy got under my skin. After the match he asked me to have a beer. I told him good and proper where he should drink. With a stiff back he marched away.

Next week against North, guess who was umpire? Murphy. I think he must have requested the job. I fell over and finished on the ground in a pack. Certain things happened. You can guess, because they weren’t known as the Shinboners for their table manners. I kept curling up, twisting and dodging to avoid being slippered.

Suddenly Murphy yelled, “You’re reported No 17 of Richmond.” That was me!

I started to argue. “Shut up or you’ll cop another,” he snarled. It was the square up. Later in the match I apologised to him for my previous conduct. “All right, Jack,” he said. “Forget the report but don’t forget umpires are human, too.”

And that’s a warning I’ll give any footballer. Umpires are men and take on that job with the hate, the abuse and risks, makes them more of men than many footballers.

It’s not surprising that North have never won a premiership. They’ve always been one of the VFL poverty clubs without the pull of the stronger clubs. North have repeatedly been given raw seals and their administration in the past has left a lot to be desired.

That ill-fated trip to Coburg was typical. Now they’re back at the old Arden Street ground. It’s not a very picturesque setting but at least it’s home. A new type of administration is getting hold of the club. A few drawbacks have gone. Now is their chance to put the Shinboners back on the map.

Keith McKenzie hasn’t an easy task, but he has the ability to produce the goods. The oldtimers who like the fire and brimstone of Killigrew will be disappointed as the conservative McKenzie goes about his task.

But he’ll have them as fit and rarin’ to go as killer ever had ‘em. And I’ve a feeling that at the end of many a torrid day’s play this season McKenzie will be getting many a slap on the back — without the knives.

CROWD WILL HANG YOU, I TOLD UMPIRE
JACK DYER CONCLUDES HIS SERIES ON THE VFL CLUBS [Truth Newspaper 1967]

Nothing was more enjoyable than playing Carlton in the old days. Do you reckon they loved a fight? Every Richmond-Carlton match started the same way. Forget football and into the fight for the first ten minutes.
You’d push, shove and jostle, trying to find out the softies, and they were pretty hard to find. After the preliminaries, the game sorted itself out and became a tremendous crowd-pleasing spectacle.
In the Thirties, the two teams were bigger than the Magpies. And I must confess that the one and only time I threw a boot was in a Carlton clash. I didn’t try to kick the fellow. I meant to frighten him.
It was in the early thirties and I was a pretty green kid. I had to saddle up against Mocca Johnson and Dinny Kelleher, a couple of mayhem men from way back.
I was walking around sweet and innocent with stars in my eyes when I copped a ripper. The stars were everywhere. Down I went and I’ve still got the gap at the back of my jaw where I picked out the broken pieces. My trainer, the late Teddy Webster, came to my aid and I said: “What’ll I do?” His answer was short and to the point: “Kick his bleeding head off.”
I surmised it was Kelleher who jobbed me, so I raced up field and let one fly in the pack. It missed him by a fraction, as I intended. But I saw the whites of his eyes and he screamed: “You’re mad, you’re mad!”
I just had to let him know he couldn’t get away with anything. It wasn’t any use hitting him with my shoulder, I was lightly built in those days and he was solid iron. I’d have broken into little pieces if I’d put the shoulder into him.
It’s a true story that he fell off a brewery wagon on the morning of a semi-final against South Melbourne in ’34. The wheel ran over him but he got up unscathed. He broke the wheel! He played in the final that afternoon and was one of the best. So perhaps it was better that I didn’t land that slipper. Probably I would have broken my foot. But I achieved my purpose. He didn’t come near me all day.
After the game, coach Checker Hughes had plenty to say. He slammed me against the wall and snarled: “If you ever do that again you’re finished. We’ve got plenty of heavy artillery to even up.”
I always seemed to be on the receiving end at Carlton. In later years I was minding my own business in the forward pocket. The ball came down and I swooped on it, straightened for my kick – and WHAAMM. Bob Chitty, football’s Ned Kelly, was the villain of the piece. Some think it was Jack Bennett, but it was Chitty who was wringing his elbow. I copped it right in the eye and the injured optic was protruding a foot from my head. I wandered around like a headless chook. I kept walking into the fence and the trainers had to keep turning me in the right direction. I stayed on for the rest of the match, or so they told me, because I can’t remember.
Maurie Fleming, our secretary, was most unimpressive with Mr Chitty and he said so. Chitty phoned him the following morning, and Maurie said, “That was a terrible thing you did, Bob.” Bob replied, “Tell Jack I’m very sorry.”
Maurie was appeased, “That’s nice of you, Bob.”
“Yes,” replied Chitty, “tell the big heap I’m terribly sorry – sorry that I didn’t knock his head right off.” The injury was so bad that I developed a twitch that lasted six months. I got into terrible trouble with my wife, Sybil. She reckons I was using it as an excuse to wink at the girls.
Chitty was selected to star in a film and he played the role of Ned Kelly. He grew a beard and looked the part. It’s the only time I ever got square when I announced to the world that they couldn’t have picked a more appropriate fellow.
He was so annoyed that he came down to my shop, beard and all, to complain. He looked so gruesome that my son, Jacky, who was only four, ran and hid under the bed.
I often wish I’d had a bed to hide under, myself. I was an easy mark for Chitty, but I could never get him myself. He was like greased lightning. He was under six feet but as tough as nails. He was an unforgettable player, and I know Des Fothergill didn’t relish playing against him.
Chitty was immune to pain. Before one match he hacked the top joint off his finger, and they put it back into place and capped it. It was getting in his way and he reefed the lot off.
In another match I opened at full forward and Chitty quickly placed himself on me. The first go at the ball and there was a thundering blow on the back of the head, perfectly executed. I screamed for a free kick and got nothing. Those umpires really hated me. Again I went for the ball and this time he came at me from the front and I copped a mighty smash in the nose as I took a mark. With blood spurting I again squealed for a free. Again it was refused.
Finally, it looked like being my turn. I spotted Chitty right in my sights and charged in. He was going to collect one like I’d never handed out before. He saw me. As I thundered at him he dropped low to the ground and I plunged over the top of him and just about broke my neck.
Dicky Harris was coming up behind me. This time the umpire had eyes only for me. He started to report me and I could hear Chitty screaming: “Umpie, umpie, look at him. Help.”
Harris was snarling, “Three years I’ve waited for this.” All the umpire wanted was me. I exploded. “LOOK, THERE ARE 20,000 PEOPLE OUT THERE BARRACKING FOR ME. IF YOU BOOK ME – THEY’LL HANG YOU FROM THE GRANDSTAND. AND I’LL PULL THE RUDDY ROPE!”
He was flabbergasted. I’d had other clashes with this umpire and had reported him for intimidating a player before a match started. We didn’t like each other. Strange thing because I’m told he was a pretty decent bloke. Anyway, I won my point. Chitty got his desserts and we had a friendly drink after we won the match.
We had a strange hold over Carlton. It’s little wonder they hated us like poison. As Collingwood once had the wood on us, we had it on Carlton, and in turn, Carlton could always topple the Magpies. Richmond knocked Carlton out of the finals in 1927, 28, 29, 31, 32 and 35. If only they could have got over the Tigers, I’m convinced they would have won most of those flags.
Their luck was so poor that when they had our measure in one final the wind swung around into the opposite direction and blew us to victory.
There’s no such thing as the footballer who hasn’t been frightened. That moment of truth comes to us all. I remember vividly when to moment came to me.
It was early in my career, and I crashed head on with Don McIntyre, a back pocket player. He was out cold when I clambered to my feet in a daze.
Instantly I was surrounded by a heap of very aggressive navy blue guernseys and nasty faces. They were going to dissect me and bury me on the spot, particularly Mackie and Gill. Believe me, I was trembling in my size thirteens.
Suddenly a flash of white and a boundary umpire was roaring: “Cut it out. It was an accident.” The wall divided and fell away and I went on with the game blessing that boundary umpire. I didn’t meet him again until ten years later when he walked into my hotel at Port Melbourne. Believe me, he drank free beer all day.
The first game I ever played against Carlton was memorable. I caught the train to the ground and it thundered on without reaching Carlton. I thought something was wrong when I noticed we’d run out of houses and I was looking over farmland at Reservoir. Somehow I got back in time for the match although I didn’t have the fare. We won and I hopped into a dog carriage after the match. What a horror trip. It was packed with Carlton supporters and they recognised me. I piled out at the next station and jumped into a Richmond carriage. What a difference.
Carlton and Richmond fans were never great friends. I’ve seen a fight start in the outer and spread from goal to goal. They threw up so much dust you could hardly see the field.
The best game I can remember between the two clubs was staged when Ern Henfry was captain. The crowd couldn’t fit in. They exerted so much pressure that the fences were smashed down and the crowd spread over the boundaries. They were stacked on the grandstand roof.
Players plunged through the crowd in boundary clashes and it was a wonder somebody wasn’t killed. We shot to a three goal lead with minutes to play. Hungry Billy Wilson had the ball again near goal but instead of shooting, went for a handpass. It was unbelievable because he seldom gave anything away.
The pass went astray and Carlton shot forward. Henfry broke loose and two goals were slammed on. Then Brokenshire had his one and only kick for the day and slammed it through. It was an incredible win to Carlton in one of the most dramatic games I’ve played.
Chitty might have been a great actor as Ned Kelly but undoubtedly football’s greatest ham was Jack (Chooka) Howell. He was a brilliant big man but I couldn’t stand him because of the way he staged. If he got a knock he squealed like a girl. He cut loose against Richmond one day, and time and again kicked the ball more than 80 yards. He must have had 50 kicks and he never stopped laughing and gloating. That gets your goat.
But in my book, he committed one unforgivable sin. I had Les Jones going well until he accidentally gave Chooka a backhander. Howell went to the ground, squealing and wriggling. The umpire reported Jones and he collected six weeks. He didn’t kick on again.
Next year Jones was set on revenge. Chooka fell over and squealed: “Umpire, he’s kicking me.”
He wasn’t really. He just ran over the top of him.
Carlton and Richmond are linked closely in VFL history, and it seems that they are both coming back into business again. The Blues have spent their $100,000 wisely. There might have been some shifty work, but the end result is worth it. I’m convinced that they can make the finals this season so we can look forward to some more epic Carlton-Richmond clashes.
The best purchase they’ve ever made was Ron Barassi. I’ll never understand how Melbourne let him go.

[below] Les Jones. My lasting impression of him was a barrel-chested man who ran straight ahead, regardless of how many were in his path. They called him "The Tank". I was surprised to look up his stats and find he was only 14½ st. Ok, 92 kgs and 183 cm (just 6 foot). Not tall or heavy for a modern-day ruckman. I guess he must have made a lasting impression on me as I bought his photograph at the ground during a match. Oh, and he had what I can only describe as a 1940s haircut. In fact, he was very much a 1940s man. We loved him. He and Dyer used to "clean up" the opposition!

SPORTING GLOBE GOSSIP

Those two long-standing rivals, Jack Dyer and Lou Richards, had many a verbal clash on the field, but Captain Blood left even volatile little Lou Lou speechless last week.

They were at Swan Hill for a Sportsmen’s Night, and the following morning, when they went to comb their now greying locks, discovered they didn’t possess a comb between them.

Jack grumbled something about it being as bad as the depression days, picked up a fork from his breakfast tray, and promptly started combing his hair with it.

Lou said it worked, too . . . so they left Swan Hill with the two most eatable heads in town!

JACK DYER ON THE BEST OF A LIFETIME

SUSPENDED FOR 84 GAMES

Don (Mopsy) Fraser was the wildest man in football. He could make strong men quake, yet he was one of the most brilliant and dashing players ever to pull on a boot. If only I could have controlled him, I would have won a string of Brownlows for this fabulous player.
He was one of the greatest ever Tiger players, but when he went red in the face my insides used to crawl. Some fellows have the cheek to say I was a badman. Me! I served four weeks' suspension in my entire career and I was entirely innocent. Believe it or not, Mopsy served a total of 84 weeks. *
Mopsy always delights in one highlight of his career - the day he took the Twomeys of Collingwood on in one epic battle. He started off by splitting Bill down the middle with a shoulder, and then he fixed Pat up for saying things that no redhead like Mopsy could tolerate. Finally, Mick went sailing into a fence. The story injures the pride of the Twomeys and they deny they were all involved , but I remember the match vividly and they all looked like Twomeys.
What a place to do it - at Collingwood.
The crowd went berserk, they jumped the fence and ran onto the field. A Richmond official, the late Scotty McDonald, jobbed the reserve umpire. We had to have a mounted police escort to get off the field after the match. It was always a nice feeling to get the Collingwood crowd riled up but I think Mopsy overdid it a bit that day.
As we left the ground for my car, the crowd had waited and followed, shouting and heckling. Suddenly Mopsy started to laugh. "What are you laughing at, this is serious," I snarled at him.
Mopsy wouldn't stop: "Why should I worry? They reckon they'll turn the car over. It's your car." They tried to turn it over and as I tried to drive off they lifted the back wheels off the ground. Somehow we escaped. I've lost count of the times I made a similar escape with Mopsy.
Fire must have run in his family. His father (Don Senior, who also played with RFC) topped the Oakleigh goal kicking for three years (finishing with a career total of 949 goals from 254 games) and then got rubbed out for sitting on the ball and refusing to give it up.
Mopsy was always getting into trouble.
Footscray had a big ruckman named Kelly with a terrific head of hair. It made even Mopsy envious. Mopsy spotted a couple of hair clips pinning the beautiful locks back in place.
“You must be a sheila,” Mopsy snarled at him and gave the hair a tug. With that tug he scalped Kelly. I don’t know who got the greater shock — Kelly, with his gleaming skull exposed to his adoring fans, or Mopsy with mouth agape and the glorious wig in his hand.
Mopsy recovered but Kelly fumed and went right off his game.
Mopsy originally was a forward for Richmond and in one brilliant quarter he scored 14 times - one goal and 13 behinds! "Ratbags to the backline," I snapped and put him into defence. He never looked back.

He was a football villain all right, with a diabolical sense of humour. One of his greatest mates was Ron Clegg, the South Melbourne Brownlow Medallist. Clegg’s wife, Billy, used to watch every match from the grandstand. Mopsy took great delight in standing beside Cleggy and tugging at his football knicks until they tore away in his hand. Then he’d wave them at Billy in the grandstand. Poor Billy always ended close to tears.
Fraser still gets as mad as a meat axe when people suggest he was dead on John Coleman in the last game of ’52. “You don’t have to be dead for Coleman to kick goals,” he said. [Coleman needed 6 goals to get his ton. There was a lot of money wagered on the outcome. Fraser always claimed he tried his hardest to stop Coleman that day – short of maiming him. It didn’t help matters that Coleman, upon kicking his 100th for the season, shook Fraser’s hand! Coleman finished with 9 for the match]
Umpires chased Mopsy out of the VFL into the VFA. Then they chased him out of the VFA across Bass Strait to Tasmania. I wouldn't say he didn't bring a lot of it on himself but on his credit side, the umpires were too hard on him. Often he was goaded by players who knew his temperament. To me he will always rate as one of the greatest footballers I have seen.
Dyer also told the story of a nervous, slightly built youngster facing up to his first match in League football in 1951 - and it was a match to make or break any player. The nervous kid had to play against the ferocious Mopsy Fraser. Mopsy gave him the full treatment. That was enough to break any kid's spirit and make him turn off football. But this kid took the lot and came back for more. He decided to get off to a good start and offered to shake hands with Mopsy. CRASH, and he was hobbling. There was a lot more to come.
But after the match Mopsy was the first to shake hands. Mopsy fronted me and declared, "That kid's got it. We won't handle him so easily again." How right he was. The kid was to become the greatest Bulldogs of them all - Ted Whitten. Ted admits today that his first game was his most frightening in football. "Mopsy looked like a mad gorilla. He was smothered in oil." Whitten said he can still remember the C-R-U-N-C-H that flattened him. "I didn't know what had hit me, and I was soon off the ground."

* The claim that Fraser was out for all those matches – 84 – has been repeated many times, particularly by Fraser himself..

The TIGERS OF OLD credit him with receiving 51 weeks’ suspension. I can account for 46 weeks. Possibly, he accrued some ‘time’ in the Apple Isle when he moved to the East Launceston club.

‘MIDSHIPMAN BLOOD’ - ROVER

A claim by Carlton skipper, Ron Barassi, that Jack Dyer would be only a ruck-rover, or probably a rover if he had been at his prime in the 1960s, caused old Captain Blood to use some very salty expressions this week.

Barassi fired his broadside at Dyer and other old-time heroes in ABV2’s Focus on Football. He said today’s players were so much bigger, tougher, and faster that they would outgun the big-shots of Dyer’s era.

The look of disgust that came over Captain Blood’s battle-scarred countenance on hearing these words, and his subsequent temper control, were worthy of an Emmy.

But Jack was not Barassi’s No. 1 fan when I broached the subject. He said: “If I was only big enough to qualify as a rover among the so-called champions of today, I suppose the rovers of my time, blokes like *smile* Reynolds, Percy Beames and Lou Richards, would be too little to get a game.”

And he added philosophically: “Barassi has been around long enough to know that a big heart is far more important to a footballer than a big frame.

“Very few of the big blokes in the game today can even fire.

“I’d like to be against the best rucks in this wishy-washy play-on game. It would be like having a half holiday.”

Assessing modern players on their toughness, marking, kicking, speed and thinking, Dyer was not fooling when he told me that very few would get beyond League Seconds’ teams of his time.

If you think Dyer’s judgement has dimmed, see how many 1967 players would be worth places in teams made up of their club’s best post-war players.

I asked Captain Blood what position he would give Barassi in a team of Carlton’s best players since the war.

“Umpires’ adviser!” he snapped.

THE DAY A BACKMAN GOT 18 GOALS.
Jack Dyer on the Best of a Lifetime [Truth Newspaper 1967]

Inch for inch, pound for pound, the greatest player of Australian Rules is Laurie Nash – even if he does say so himself.
I’d say probably he is the greatest sportsman this State has produced because apart from being the greatest footballer, he was a Test cricketer and only personalities stopped him from being a top liner in Australian cricket.
The South Melbourne champion was the son of a former great Magpie player [Robert Nash]. His father played for Collingwood, captained Collingwood, and finally died in a crowd of 99,000 watching the Magpies in the 1958 Grand Final with Melbourne. Laurie confided to me recently that he wants to follow his father’s footsteps. “I played for South, I captained South and I want to die watching them in a Grand Final on the MCG.”
If everybody could achieve that ambition we could find the secret to eternal life judging on South’s current progress.
Tasmanians often puff out their chests in pride and boast that the great Nash was their own product. This isn’t strictly true. Nash was one of the older boys at St Ignatius College when I schooled there. We had quite a school team. He played a lot of junior football for the 6th Melbourne Boy Scouts and he’s a life member of the Richmond Boys.
At the age of 17 he was called into the militia but broke a wrist and had the call-up deferred and, in the meantime, conscription into national service was abolished. He joined his parents in Tasmania and played football in 1928 with a minor country club, Parattah. After two years he went to Launceston and played for City. He was a wizard from the start, and in his first year his club won the premiership and Nash won the Tasman Shield award – the Brownlow equivalent.
The following year he was pipped by a point for the same trophy by a fellow who was suspended after the last game, the following year Nash won the trophy again.
He represented Tasmania in the Carnival side in Adelaide in 1930 and the following year I saw him in action against Victoria. He was dubbed the Queen of the Air by his adoring Tasmanian public, an honored title then. Then the recruiting war started as VFL clubs fought for his services. He had played for a year under another South great, Roy Cazaly, and he settled for the Southerners.
He joined the famed Foreign Legion side and, as with his Launceston club, won a premiership in his first year. His last League game was that epic bloodbath Grand Final. It’s rather ironic that he played in Grand Finals for South in his first and last years, and they haven’t been in the finals since, and that’s 22 years on the outer.
Laurie played his first year with South as a centre half-back. He didn’t have much height but had a beautiful spring for the ball. [see picture]

He had pace and could kick with incredible accuracy – either foot. He was brilliant in every department of the game including determination and courage. He played for Victoria in 1934 against South Australia and took the field as a backman. Few people realised what an epic day in football that was to be.
Late in the first quarter the State full forward, Bill Mohr, suffered a compound fracture of a finger. Nash was switched to full forward and set about the goals in the most glorious exhibition of forward play in the State’s history.
He scored 18 goals from 20 shots, seven off the left boot, and he’s adamant that he should have kicked 26. He claims that he made dummy leads and left his opponents eight times when rovers Beames and Bunton had the ball. Instead of shooting it to the unguarded Nash they had the shots themselves.
The record tally of goals is attributed to some player in a match with Queensland. His tally was 24. But as Nash scornfully pointed out, the Queenslanders kicked bananas for footballs in those days.
The ’45 Grand Final was a nice clash to wind up a League career. It was the finish for plenty of players, thanks to the Tribunal. In the match Laurie achieved something I’d always wanted to do but failed. He caught Bob Chitty. Chitty was one fellow who plagued me all my life. He was the Swamp Fox of football. He hit and ran away to fight and hit another day.
In the Grand Final Chitty had Ron Clegg glassy-eyed and finally flattened rover Billy Williams. Chitty must have been slowing down because the 14.10 Nash met the 12.10 Blue with one of the sweetest jolts I’ve ever seen. As Chitty lay stretched out as if on a cross, Carlton speedster Jim Baird looked down on his stricken teammate and said, “Well that serves him right, he’s been playing it too hard this year.”
There seems some injustice in the match that Gentleman Jim Cleary should have been reported and Nashy not. It so surprised a South official who questioned the umpires about the reports that he said: “What about Nash, is he reported?”
That’s a nice thing for your own man to blurt out. That was the match where Basher Williams was convicted on circumstantial evidence. The umpire saw Ken Hands reclining in a sleeping position with old Flathead Williams standing innocently beside him studying the cloud formations. “Must be sunstroke,” he commented to the sceptical umpire.
Ron Clegg’s eyes were rolling around their sockets like a revolving door, an obvious concussion, but he was made to play on. When he got the ball he had to be pointed in the right direction. South had been hot favourites but they lost the fight and the flag.

Strangely enough Laurie doesn’t consider this his toughest match. He went to coach Wangaratta in the Ovens and Murray and as a part time job he also coached a side in the Ovens and King competition. He took his Wangaratta team to Mooroopna for a lightning premiership and they came up against an Aboriginal team. The dusky boys really tore into them. “You’d have thought there wasn’t an umpire there and we were having a tribal war,” says Laurie.
“I’m still not sure whether they were hitting us with boomerangs, nulla nullas – or what. That match made the bloodbath Grand Final a kid’s affair.”
Laurie received only two stretches in his life. Naturally he was innocent both times. He played in the annual Rebels and Yankees match in Tasmania – the North v South. Laurie played for the North and they won for the first time in 48 years and as they left the field somebody whacked the boundary umpire behind the ear, and bolted. Laurie was innocent but was lumbered for the offence, and got four weeks.
Few players can boast that they beat the great Jack Mueller. Yet Nash always had the wood on him, so much so that Mueller frantically used to ask coach Checker Hughes what to do. After one match Mueller stopped a sing song between the two teams and shouted across a silent room: “You kicked me today Nash.”
“Mebbe,” countered Nash, “but I’ll bet it was the only kick you got.”
I remember another match in ’45 he beat every Richmond player I put on to him. I was getting desperate when he took another mark on an awkward angle. He smirked at me. “Gee, the older you get, the easier it gets, Jack.”
I fumed. “Come on Jack which foot will I use?” he taunted. I knew it was almost impossible on the left. “Use your left you clown.”
Left he used and right through the middle.
He was taking the match right away from us so there was nothing for it but a good solid shoulder. I moved beside him and he pleaded: “Now Jack, none of that, we’ve been friends for 20 years, don’t do things like that.”
Playing for Wangaratta Laurie broke his monkey bone but the situation was desperate in the Grand Final so he decided to play on. Collingwood’s Ron Todd was on the boundary giving him encouragement. Break or no break he played for the side. Four times in the goal square he hipped out his opponent, took the mark and goaled. These days some of the players wouldn’t play with a bruised finger.
Nash has some unique records to his credit:

 He kicked 18 goals for Victoria.
 He holds the Victorian Pennant cricket bowling record for an innings of 10 wickets for 35 runs.
 The only cricketer to jump from Pennant cricket straight into a Test side.
 The only Victorian ever to play Test cricket and never play Shield cricket.

There isn't much love lost between Sir Donald Bradman and Laurie Nash. Laurie likes to recall that he played for
Tasmania against the Australians. In Launceston he had the Don lbw at 20 and there was horror everywhere. It meant that Bradman wouldn’t be batting that afternoon and so the crowd stayed away.
So a return match was played in Hobart. Just so Nash wouldn’t spoil things again he was allowed to bowl only three overs, didn’t get a crack at Sir Don, who went on to hit a century and pack the ground. Laurie compensated by belting 93 off the Australian attack.
Laurie has strong feelings about the heavy pre-season training programs. He feels, as I do, that most footballers play summer sports and keep themselves fit. They don’t hibernate from sport in the summer.
He is strong for the players to form a union, believing that as a player has to train for three months before the season starts he should be paid throughout that training period.
It’s a weird thing that this champion of all South champions never won the club’s fairest and best. Obviously the club didn’t assess a player on what he did for the club but for his gentlemanly parlour behaviour on the field.
Whether or not it shows on the board, Nash was their greatest for many years.

TED WHITTEN
Jack Dyer on Best Of A Lifetime (Truth Newspaper 1967)

A nervous, slightly built footballer faced up to his first big match in League football in 1951 – it was a match to make or break any player.
The nervous kid had to play against the ferocious Mopsy Fraser.
Mopsy gave him the full treatment. That was enough to break any kid’s spirit and make him turn off football. But this kid took the lot and came back for more.
And now, 271 games later, he’s become the greatest Bulldog of them all – Ted Whitten.
Ted admits today that his first game was his most frightening in football.
“Mopsy looked like a wild gorilla,” he told me. “He was smothered in oil.”
Ted decided to get off to a good start and offered to shake hands. CRASH, and Ted was hobbling. There was a lot more to come.
But after the match Mopsy was the first to shake hands. Mopsy fronted me and declared, “That kid’s got it. We won’t handle him that easily again.” How right he was.
Whitten is football perfection, although early in his career, he didn’t know how to avoid a knock. He was game and took many risks without knowing the first thing about protection.
As he blossomed he learned all the arts and excelled as an actor.
We couldn’t tell whether he was hurt or not. How many times he has gone to the ground like a poleaxed cow only to get up and kick the free 60 yards.
I can’t understand how so many players have played alongside Ted without learning the fundamentals of the game and how to apply them.
It isn’t his fault. He loves his team mates. He’d do anything and he’s striven to help them. It’s a tragedy he hasn’t been able to find good pupils.
Whitten at his best is football poetry. He has a great set of hands for a mark and can take the screamer. He’s as mobile as a rover and baulks on either foot with great fluency.
He can kick with either foot and his hand passing became so fast it was outlawed.

[When being interviewed one time, Whitten said he had to learn the hard way. He still remembers the C-R-U-N-C-H that flattened him in his first League game which was against Richmond. Richmond strongman, Don “Mopsy” Fraser, delivered the terrific whack and as Whitten recalls: “I didn’t know what hit me, and I was soon off the ground.”]
Pictured: The wheel has turned full circle. Instead of Whitten playing his first League game, we move forward to his 250th game, Round #2, 1966, on the MCG. *smile* Clay in his debut came up against Whitten. Clay acquited himself quite well on that day and, here, he gets a kick away despite Whitten's attempt to stop him and, right, Clay out-bustles Whitten in protecting Billy Barrot going for the ball.

THE HUMAN TANK WHO WON A FLAG
Jack Dyer on the Best Of a Lifetime (Truth Newspaper 1967)

The Human Tank was the apt name for Footscray’s Charlie Sutton, one of the greatest back pocket players ever. Charlie handed out and took more knocks than any footballer I can remember.
He was a local product. He was born in Altona and he played in the Footscray territory all his career. The late Tom Curtain, president of Footscray, said to me: “We have a young kid you’ll like. He’s the best back pocket you’ll ever see.”
I saw Charlie against Richmond and I wasn’t impressed. Not because he didn’t play well, he murdered us! We wondered what hit us as he steam-rolled his way through the side. There was no messing about and no swerving with Charlie. If you got in the way, bad luck.
When you think of a tank like Sutton you are inclined to forget his ability. Yet he could mark brilliantly and kick a beautiful drop kick. He had tremendous pace and was never beaten on the ground. He put terror into the heart of any timid rover who happened to rest in the forward pocket. There’d be a pack, a whoosh as Charles went through and you could bet that a body flying in the air was the rover. Charlie was so damaging that many clubs set out to get him before he could get them.
One day Max Oppy and I set after him. He grabbed Ken Albiston, tucked him under his arm, took the ball off him and dropped Ken to the ground. I told Oppy: “When he gets between us let’s make him the meat in the sandwich.”
The appropriate time came and we charged in. He caught us out of the corner of his eye. He performed a beautiful racing dive and I slammed into Oppy. We hit the turf while Sutton scrambled to his feet 10 yards away. The umpire threatened to report me while Sutton gesticulated nastily behind his back.
He was always hard to catch yet he wasn’t one to sidestep if he figured he had an even break. He was the typical Bulldog and the longer he played the more he infused his own fight into the side.
Footscray made their most vital decision when they made him playing coach. He got together a great band of footballers and he gathered them from his own districts. That proved his coaching ability. He took over as playing coach in ’51 and he rapidly changed the character of the Bulldogs. They were a snarling brilliant group. They took knocks, gave them back and played football all the time.
He developed such champions as Ted Whitten, Peter Box, Don Ross, Harvey Stevens, Jack Collins and Herb Henderson. In his first year he had them in the Four. Then bad luck made them miss the next two final series by slender margins.
But ’54 was his year. He drove himself and the Bulldogs into the finals. In the Grand Final he was an inspiration. He played on the ball all day and kept shouting his players on: “You’re going down in the history books, boys.”
They never looked like losing and Sutton was made mayor of Footscray for the night. It was Footscray’s only premiership, and a fitting reward to such a fine player.
Every club has its white ants, and a bare two years later he found a knife in his back and the coaching position gone. Fortunately the men who sacked him had enough sense to persevere with Sutton’s prodigy, Ted Whitten, who carried on the same ideas.
It’s a twist of fate that the wheel has turned a full cycle and Whitten has since been sacked for Sutton. For many years there will be arguments about which player was the greater.
In my book they run a draw.
Pictured: a 1953 gathering of VFL captains. Sutton “lights up” Lou Richards while Des Rowe looks over Sutton’s shoulder. Things were not always so cordial between Richmond and Footscray players.

HERE’S A TEAM TO THRASH THE REST
And Bunton Misses.

Jack Dyer on the Best of a Lifetime
[Truth Newspaper 1967]

There’s no greater way to lose friends and make a fool of yourself than to try to pick the greatest team of footballers who ever played.
At the risk of losing Lou Richard’s friendship, here I go.
The two most important selections in any team are captain and coach.
Any player who can captain a team to four successive premierships must rank as the greatest captain in the game. I mean Syd Coventry of Collingwood. And I can’t believe there was ever a greater coach than Checker Hughes. He lifted Richmond to the heights, then switched to the delicate Demons and paved the way for their rise to the heights.
There have been greater players than some I would pick for a team of all-time greats, but I’m picking a side to play in specialist positions. There is no point in picking eight ruckmen, five rovers and five centremen. Good as they might be, they’d be torn apart by a competent side.
I’m not an old-timer who can’t believe modern footballers would live with the greats of the past. I believe ruck techniques are as good now as at any stage and for that reason I’m picking a modern day first ruck.
In their prime John Nicholls and Ron Barassi with the roving of Bob Skilton equalled any combination I’ve seen. Skilton and Barassi were greater players a few years ago.
The most difficult choice was to separate John Coleman from Bob Pratt. Possibly I lean to Pratt to give the crowd a thrill. He was the most magnificent mark I have seen and the most spectacular footballer. [pictured below] But I believe Coleman is his equal in every department except the spectacular.
And to disprove the argument that I don’t like Brownlow Medallists, I’ve named six in my side. Skilton and Reynolds won five between them. But I left out a triple-winner — the late Hadyn Bunton. I believe he was not the greatest of team players, but more a great individual. That might have been because he was in very weak side and had to try and win games off his own boot.
What a brilliant forward line you could muster from the greats.
I’d rest Bill Morris in the forward pocket. He was a beautiful mark, a deadly kick and a fluent ruckman. I would put him in the second ruck with Syd Coventry who could give the protection while Morris fed the ball to the great Reynolds.
Either side of Nash on the half-forward line I have Les Foote and Des Fothergill. The centre line was one of the hardest lines to frame. Chicken Smallhorn won his place on the wing because I like height and pace, and for the same reason I picked Melbourne’s Syd Anderson for the other wing. Herbie Matthews takes the centre because of his tremendous ability. He was a brilliant high mark, a beautiful kick and he had that bit of hate and bite that made him a champion.
In defence, I want attacking defenders, but I also want specialists who know how to close up shop when the ball runs the other way. Richmond had the best defence I’ve encountered, and I have no hesitation in placing Baggott and McCormack on the half-back flanks. [pictured above - McCormack on the right] Baggott was fast, solid and a perfectionist with the drop kick. McCormack was cast in the same mould, only tougher. Both knew defence backwards, forwards and sideways.
There is no way I could leave out Leeta Collier. He was cast in iron, a man built to strike terror into a forward, and he was a fabulous footballer. He was a great high mark, fearless, and he could kick the ball out of sight. He might be remembered as a ruckman but in his day he was the game’s best centre half-back.
I needn’t explain Jack Regan at full-back. He won immortality in that position and no player has ever challenged his claim to being the all time great at full-back.
What better backstops could he have in the pockets than the fearless human tank, Charlie Sutton, and Syd Coventry in the other pocket.
And to umpire the game you need the best, and that’s Jack McMurray, sen.

So this is how I line them up:

BACKS: S. Coventry (C’wd); J. Regan (C’wd); C. Sutton (Foots).
HALF-BACKS: J. Baggott (Rich); A. Collier (C’wd); B. McCormack (Rich).
CENTRES: W. Smallhorn ((Fitz); H. Matthews (SM); S. Anderson (Melb).
HALF-FORWARDS: L. Foote (NM; L. Nash (SM); D. Fothergill (C’wd).
FORWARDS: W. Morris (Rich); R. Pratt (SM); R. Reynolds (Ess).
RUCKS: J. Nicholls (Carl); R. Barrasi (Carl). ROVER: R. Skilton (SM).
19th — M. Whelan (C’wd). 20th — W. Hutchinson (Ess).

It looks an unbeatable side and I believe it is. But what about this side to play them in a grand challenge match?

BACKS: N. Ware (Foots); F. Hughson (Fitz); B. Smith (Geel).
HALF-BACKS: N. McDonald (Ess); R. Clegg (SM); R. Chitty (Carl).
CENTRES: A. Geddes (Rich); J. Clarke (Ess); T. Merrett (C’wd).
HALF-FORWARDS: R. Rose (C’wd); E. Whitten (Foots); D. Baldock (St K).
FORWARDS: J. Mueller (Melb); J. Coleman (Ess); K. Forbes (Ess).
RUCKS: R. Wright (Rich); C. Ditterich (St K). ROVER: H. Bunton (Fitz).
19th — J. Collins (Geel). 20th — D. Fraser (Rich).

Then I could go on and name another, but I wouldn’t dare. What if I left Lou Richards out of that one as well?

Thanks Growl-whilst Jack was before my time -he simply facinates me! Love all the old stories and annecdotes-reading all this stuff about Jack,Ted Whitten, Mopsy etc-I wonder what the hard men of that era would think about todayss game?

Captain Blood hoists a flag
From the series Game Of A Lifetime by Barrie Bretland

Where does a man start looking for the peak achievement in a League career which spanned more than 20 years and 310 games?
Unexpectantly, Jack Dyer, Richmond’s legendary Captain Blood, doesn’t have to think twice.
He nominates the half-way mark, 1943 — the year the Tigers downed Essendon for the pennant.
1943 Richmond Premiership team

Only one man — Essendon champion *smile* Reynolds with 320 — played more games than Dyer.
Yet it’s a stranger-than-fiction fact that the destructive Tiger, one of the most dynamic match-winners the game has known, played in only two premiership sides.
“Playing in a pennant-winning team is every footballer’s ambition,” said Dyer.
“That one came along early in the piece, in 1934 when we tossed South. But winning one as captain and coach tops everything; that’s what makes 1943 so special.
“There were a couple of things that made it even better. Richmond had run second about four times before we cracked it and it hurt like hell.
“I was probably the world’s worst loser. Fair dinkum, I was shocking in those days.
“You know, I can remember the 1942 final just as clearly as the next one. We looked morals to take the flag and yet Essendon did us like dinners. We weren’t in the event. I was as savage as a meat axe afterwards.
“I can remember our president, Harry Dyke, telling me I should go to the Essendon rooms and congratulate them on their win.
“I told him if he’d just become the father of triplets I couldn’t even congratulate him, and he was a mate of mine. How could he expect me to be nice to a mob who had just thrashed us?
“After about half an hour he talked me into going across and I made the worst speech ever. I told them I hated everyone of them, and if they thought I was going to congratulate them they were mad.
“They gave me the biggest ovation I’ve ever had!
“Anyway, that defeat was still on my mind the following year, when we had to play Essendon again. I’d done plenty of worrying beforehand, but everything seemed set until the Friday night.
“And then came the bombshell. I got a phone call to say that Jack Broadstock, my star player, was in the boob. Jack, who came from South Australia, had been discharged from the Army, but hadn’t registered for the militia.
“They’d picked him up on Friday, locked him up and were taking him to Adelaide to hear his case the next day. And that was Grand Final Day!
“I’m not kidding, I thought I’d have a fit. Then I found out the Army bloke in charge of the business was a red hot Tiger fan. I was a policeman and attached to the CIB at the time and I managed to do a deal with the Army man. The upshot of it was that Broady was released into my custody for 24 hours and could play in the final.
“There was another interesting sidelight during the week before the game and it was my first experience of footy psychology.
“Hec de Lacy was alive then and writing for the Sporting Globe. After we’d been done by Essendon in the second semi, he’d written a story saying we didn’t have a hope of winning the flag if we continued playing Bernie Waldron in the centre.
“Bernie was a good player having a bad trot at the time and we just didn’t have anyone to put in his place. I rang Hec and asked him to lay off the kid.
“By golly, he was a shrewdy. Hec said he’d write a similar piece the next week, and I could use it to urge Bernie on. I showed Bernie the piece at training and I thought he’d blow up on the spot.
“I told him the only way to answer de Lacy was to turn it on in the final and, brother, it worked like a charm. Bernie Waldron killed ‘em that day. He was best on the ground and the first thing he said to me after the game was ‘that’ll keep that so-and-so de Lacy quiet for a while.’
“Our big worry was *smile* Reynolds. He was a great player, a really great one, and I figured if we could quieten him we could quieten the Bombers.
“I told Max Oppy it was his job to tag *smile* all day, and the harder he did it the better I’d like it.
[pictured: Max Oppy, the original hard man]​

“Max said to me: ‘You know *smile*’s my cousin, Jack. If I do the wrong thing they’ll never let me in their house again.’
I asked him if it was going to worry him and he said: ‘Not a bit, Jack.’
“Max hit Reynolds with everything, and the Don’s star wasn’t in the event that day.
“There wasn’t much in it all day. One side would get a slight break and the other would even up again. Essendon was a more brilliant side, but we offset this with our physical strength’
“For a change, I played a fair game myself and got a couple of goals when they were needed in the last quarter. I didn’t have much success in finals during my career. For some reason I was a poor finals player.
“The last quarter was a real thriller.
“I can still picture our back pocket player Ray Steele — he later managed an Australian cricket team in England — taking a screamer high over a pack in the goalmouth.
“Then we hit the front and I told Broadstock to ‘freeze’ the ball.
“Broady was a wizard — the Baldock of his day — although he was bigger and stronger. He could run backwards faster than most blokes could go forward and his ball control was uncanny.
”The idea was for him to keep the ball as long as he could, to dodge and duck, balk and bounce it and fiddle away time. It worked well, too, for a while. And then when it was nearly all over and we were in front by five points, Brian Randell tried the same caper.
“Randell was all legs and arms and couldn’t have dodged work on a holiday cruise. I abused him from one end of the ground to the other, calling him a long, skinny, useless so-and-so.
“I can still remember Brian coming to me after the game and going crook about my abusing him. I said to him: ‘You big mug, you’re lucky I only abused you. If I’d had a gun out there I would have shot you.’.”
The way Jack Dyer tells it, even 24 years later, makes you cringe. Suddenly, you know exactly what winning that premiership meant to Captain Blood.

Pictured: Jack Broadstock — a bigger and stronger wizard than Baldock.​

Growl

Thats brilliant stuff. A great read.

Highlights:

“Randell was all legs and arms and couldn’t have dodged work on a holiday cruise

“I told him if he’d just become the father of triplets I couldn’t even congratulate him, and he was a mate of mine. How could he expect me to be nice to a mob who had just thrashed us?
“After about half an hour he talked me into going across and I made the worst speech ever. I told them I hated everyone of them, and if they thought I was going to congratulate them they were mad.
“They gave me the biggest ovation I’ve ever had!

By the way, whats the "boob"

'boob' n. Colloq. prison. [shortened form of prison slang for booby-hutch = police station, prison.]

Dyer’s Golden Rules

If you are a captain [or a coach] remember these golden rules:

 Don’t panic and move proved specialists without giving them a chance to get back into the game.

 Pace can only be countered with pace. The shoulder and bumps can only be used to slow a side if you are fast enough to catch them.

 A lumbering, slow side cannot be talked into pace, they must be trained to it.

 Fumbling and sloppy ground play slows a team.

And one last word to all players: practice, practice, practice and keep your eye on the damned ball.