RFC - FORTY YEARS AGO, 1967 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

RFC - FORTY YEARS AGO, 1967

Growl

Ten flags and counting
Apr 3, 2007
NEW HORIZONS

Summer cools to autumn, the cricket season peaks with Victoria winning the Sheffield Shield, and there is a different feeling in the air.

There is a new sound on the playing fields, a ‘whoomp’ of boot on leather; loud voices in the dusk; the smell of liniment. It has been the same every year as far back as memory allows. Melbourne is gearing up for another football season.

At Punt Road, the atmosphere is no different to that at other grounds throughout Victoria. The football watchers scan each new face for a sign of greatness, a hint of football prowess. Gawky kids from the bush brush shoulders with smooth city types who have already been blooded, while the cynical ‘old brigade’ use their guile to flout the endless grind of the Tan and to ease the pain of muscles being called upon to perform for club and pride. These latter, wonder if a dicky shoulder or a wonky knee will hold out for the entire eighteen Home and Away games that make up the season.

The year is 1967.

The Richmond Football Club has not had it easy. It is 20 years since they last made the Finals, only to be bundled out by a determined Fitzroy in front of 82,000 spectators. Four years earlier they had tasted their last premiership. The heady days of the 20s and 30s are but a glimmer in old men’s eyes.

In 1964, the club secured the coaching services of Len Smith, the father of the play-on style – at Richmond he planned a team based on mobile, long-kicking six-footers to suit the Tigers’ move to the MCG as the venue for their home games.

1964 was not a great year, Richmond finished sitting 9th on the ladder with only six wins. How much of their bad form was due to Smith suffering a heart attack can now only be conjecture. 1965 saw established players such as Barrot, Crowe, Alan (Bull) Richardson, John Perry, Roger Dean, Swift, Jewell, Guinane, Barry Richardson, Northey, Billy Brown and Patterson supplemented by the inclusion of Bartlett (in Round 3), Ronaldson, Mike Perry, Burgin and Strang. Mick Erwin gained his clearance from the Magpies and was considered a possible answer for full-forward.

However, early in the season, it became clear that Len Smith was a very ill man and he announced his retirement. Jack Titus stepped in as a temporary coach – aided by *smile* Harris – while Graeme Richmond began looking for a new coach.

Richmond finished fifth, two games away from a Final Four berth.

Mick Erwin won the club goal-kicking with a total of 32, having only played 12 games for the season.

1966 just had to be better. There was to be a new man at the helm, a previous Tiger back-pocket player, with an impressive reputation as the coach who led Shepparton to three premierships. There was also some promising recruits.

Richmond more or less grabbed a young Kyabram player from under the noses of the North Melbourne talent scouts. With controversy raging over which club had the rights to *smile* Clay, Richmond and North Melbourne appeared before the permit committee to decide Clay’s fate. The meeting was on the Friday night prior to the beginning of the season. It was announced that the committee would deliver their verdict after consideration. Regardless, Richmond picked him to play his first game against Footscray in Round 2. Clay duly took his place on the field. He had a battle ahead of him, his opponent was Ted Whitten playing his 250th game. Clay acquited himself well. Football scribes gave him good press. Tom Hafey merely said: “ I have seen *smile* play a lot better than that . . .”

Hafey’s regime of fitness and long kicking, along with the influence left by Len Smith, appeared to pay off. Richmond drew with North Melbourne in Round 8. This result gave them 6 wins, 1 loss and the draw. That game coincided with the ANFC Carnival in Hobart. Richmond found themselves without Crowe and Barrot, who were playing for the Big Vee. It is all conjecture now what effect the absence of these two players had on Richmond’s performance against North. Nobody could guess what result that draw would have on the Final Four.

‘Swamp Fox’ Patterson played his 100th game against St Kilda in Round 9. Tony Jewell was outed for four weeks over an incident in that match when he leapt over the prone body of Barry Breen. ‘Attempted kicking’ was the charge for which he was found guilty.

Bartlett, who had been tried on the wing during 1965, now found himself chosen as second rover to Dimattina and, sometimes Peter Hogan. By Round 14, Richmond had a new first rover – not bad for somebody who started the season as 19th man!

For a brief moment (between Rounds 14 and 15) Richmond shot to the top of the League ladder. Two losses followed, against Collingwood and Geelong, and Tigers plumetted to 5th position. They were to finish the season as 5th, just 2 premiership points behind Essendon but with a better percentage. The drawn game against North decided fourth place.

Neville Crowe achieved the club’s Best and Fairest for 1966, gaining a State jumper as he played in the Hobart Football Carnival.

Pat Guinane took out the club goal-kicking with 50 goals for the season.

*smile* Clay won the Wm Cosgrove/Harry Jenkins Trophy for Best First Year Player.

Another find would seem to be Kevin Bartlett, who won the Thirds Best and Fairest in 1963. He played in most of the Seniors’ games in 1966, scoring at least 16 goals for the season with a bag of 4 goals twice. Although tried as a winger in Round 16, he came into prominence as a rover when Dimattina was injured after Round 10.

Mike Patterson won Best & Fairest for the Seconds.

Barry Richardson topped the RFC 2nds goal kicking with 45 goals.

D. Jacks won the Best & Fairest for the Thirds.

A youngster named Royce Hart topped the RFC Thirds goal kicking with 52 goals.

Roger Dean was a utility player for years, being used as a centreman, forward, even rover, but found his true vocation as a defender and would make life unpleasant for many a resting rover for the remainder of his career.

There was optimism at Punt Road for 1967.

TOUGH ON SWIFT

Old enemies are meeting this week at Albury Football Ground, where the local footballers train under former Collingwood captain, Murray Weideman.

Richmond captain Fred Swift, a sales representative, is in Albury today, tomorrow and Friday, and the Richmond club has asked Albury if he can train with them.

Albury are sure to agree and Swift, who once was most unfriendly towards Weideman, will train under him.

Swift and Weideman clashed in a match on the Richmond ground in 1963, and Weideman was helped off the ground with an egg-sized lump on his forehead.

Weideman has a long memory. It would be no surprise if he gave Swift the longest and toughest night’s training he has had.

PRINCE OF PROPERTY STEWARDS
By JOHN CRAVEN

HEAD TIGER, they call Richmond property steward Charlie Callander. Presidents, coaches and players come and go, but Charlie seems a permanent fixture.

He is only 62 but already has had 50 years’ association with Richmond. He started as a lad when he carried a player’s bag as an excuse to get into the rooms.

At 18, he was appointed Richmond’s first, and so far only property steward. Now he is in charge of $3000 worth of equipment. When he started you could have bought the lot for $400 and you may have got some change.

Like other figures in the football world Callander has been injured — but only twice.

The first time was in 1927 when he made his one and only appearance on the ground for the Tigers. “We were on a trip to Tasmania and I turned out on the wing.

“I had one kick, a shot for goal, and it went five yards — straight up in the air.

“Then Don Harris sent me a pass and knocked me out. That was that.

“Still, if any player gets uppity, I can always boast that I represented Richmond interstate,” says Charlie.

Charlie’s second injury came when he was official Richmond runner. He pioneered the job when ‘Checker’ Hughes coached Richmond in the late 1920s.

“I used to run out to a player with a piece of chewing gum and a note. Football was a lot slower then — they had time to read the notes.

“I’ve taken a lot of hot messages to players in my time. And I’ve had a few hot ones back.”

Former Richmond centre half-forward, Brian Davie, now a doctor, accidentally was responsible for Callander’s second injury.

“He got the ball just as I reached him and stood aside for him to kick. But I moved the wrong way and he ran straight through me.

“It hurt so much I couldn’t even give him the message. And I couldn’t give those St Kilda supporters who were rubbishing me, a message of my own.

“Later I found I had two broken ribs,” he recalls.

Charlie Callander is known wherever Australian Rules is played because of his long record as VFL property steward from 1946 to to 1959 when he appeared at five carnivals.

The Victorian players called him “The Prince of Property Stewards”. He provided everything, including “hangover cures” if necessary.

Callander has seen five Richmond premiership sides and all the stars, including Brownlow Medal winners, Stan Judkins, Bill Morris and Roy Wright.

But his personal best is Jim Smith, a half-back flanker in the 1920s. “He played for Victoria and always stuck in my mind.”

Charlie’s only son, Kevin, played a few games for Richmond, but was forced to retire because of recurring cartilage trouble.

Charlie says, “My wife has been marvellous to me when I’ve spent so much timeconnected with football. She has never complained even when she was a lone a lot.”

He works for the Richmond City Council cleaning department.

He is a life member of both Richmond Football and Cricket Clubs and the VFL Trainers’ Association. He was an RFC committeeman for 18 years, and football club representative on the cricker club committee for 11 years.

Richmond plan to honor Callander later this year with a special presentation, but there’s one thing he wants above all — another premiership.

“We could do it, too,” he tips.

[Charlie died in 1986]

Thanks heaps for those Growl. It's awesome to read about our past history. Did you write New Horizons yourself? It's a very entertaining report.

I wonder how much worth of equipment the head property steward looks after 40 years on.

Yes I wrote that as a lead-in to the year 1967.

I hope to post on PRE all the newspaper clippings, etc, that I have from that year.

It's a little out of sync to our present times as they started their season later and had less games. The only thing I'm sorry for is that I never recorded the actual dates on the cuttings - or which paper they were from. (I can tell the ones from the Sporting Globe!)

I will have to post some articles in a bunch as there are things like the pre-season games and other goings-on that filled the time in before the H & A began - nothing's changed!

There was another one on Charlie Callander - he must have been quite a character to attract that much attention. Oh, here it is . . .

HE HELPS TO “PAMPER” TIGERS
From SPORTSVIEW with Scot Palmer.

RICHMOND FOOTBALL CLUB’S man-behind-the-counter, Charlie Callander, chatters about his full range of stock like a country storekeeper and always likes to find an excuse to go to his shelves.

At Punt Road yesterday, Callander produced a shoelace and a new insole to prove his claim that “good footballers are easier to look after than the ordinary ones.”

Callander said: “The ordinary footballer is the problem child — he doesn’t know what he wants, but he knows if someone else has got something, he wants something.”

Callander, 62, the League’s best-known backstage supplier, has his own ideas on the old retail slogan that the customer is always right.

But since he took the job as Richmond’s property steward in 1924 (before that there wasn’t much property to mind) Callander has helped to make this part of club life a department store size business.

Over the years he has noticed a change in his customers. “In the early days they were all battlers. They didn’t have big time jobs. A fella might have worked in a grain store or as a laborer for a plumber,” he said.

“Now they are all junior executives and junior directors. Everyone is getting into the high stuff. We’ve got physics teachers, physio-therapists, players tied up in the law and others at uni. They’re more pampered today than what they were years ago — I reckon you’ve got to be truthful.

Callander remembers the glory days of Jack Dyer and Jack (Skinny) Titus.

“They couldn’t care less what was going on,” he said. “They would come in with their gear rolled up in a bag, pull it out, put it on and hurry out to get a kick.

“They had a peg for their clothes and a form to sit on.

“Now, said Callander, admiring his crowded shelves and cupboards and figuring the day’s order list, “the club supplies everything. Players at the end of the season even get a football to take home to play with in the summer.

“A footballer has to be looked after now because he’s valuable, the game is more serious and people are taking a bigger interest.”

Yet Charlie, who has been in charge of property and the gear of champions at five interstate carnivals, is still intrigued by some of the requests he gets for shoelaces and insoles.

They come mainly from the “ordinary” player. “They get nice boots that fit them perfectly — so why do they want insoles?” he asked.

“They don’t wear insoles in their private shoes, the ones they wear to go out, so what do they want them in football boots for?

“I also maintain that a leather lace is better than an ordinary white lace, and we have the best of kangaroo hide laces. But all some fellas want are the white laces.

“Whether it’s to make them look nice about the feet, I don’t know . . .” said Callander, whose aim after all is to satisfy.

[Just in case there was someone wondering if the author of this article was related to Scotty (Keep punching) Palmer, well, they are one and the same.]

BARROT — HERE’S THE ANSWER
By BRIAN HANSEN

Is the Richmond-Bill Barrot war never going to end? It has raged for seasons, and the trouble last season cost the Tigers a place in the Final Four.
They say it’s all settled. But is it?
Les Smith was the first Tiger coach to lock horns with Bill Barrot. He placed Barrot on a half-forward flank in a practice match against a country side.
Barrot was told to apologise for not giving 100% in the game.
The players were told they could vote on whether he stayed with the club. They voted unanimously to keep him.
Last year Richmond officials decided to discipline him by leaving him out of a vital game against Collingwood. He was fit to play. Richmond lost, and missed the finals.
Now, it’s on again.
And football followers are asking whether Barrot is too big for his boots.
Well, they don’t know him.
Even the Richmond officials who have been cracking down on him tell you he’s a great fellow.
He is quiet, a non-drinker, a fanatic for fitness, and dedicated to his game. There is no ego in his make-up.
They’ve tried every approach to get Barrot 100% on his game.
Every approach but one — SILENCE.

The Tigers should take a gamble. Put Barrot into the side as a centreman. Give him no instructions except to go wherever he likes to get a kick.
Richmond can’t afford to be constantly at war with this great player. It must upset the side.
As a permanent kick-chasing loose man he could be a match winner.
The Tigers should devise a system to cover Barrot’s tracks when he wanders from his opponent.

FOOTBALL ‘GREAT’ DIES

HOBART — George Rudolph, one of the greatest followers ever in Australian Rules football, died in the Repatriation Hospital, Hobart, on Saturday, aged 65.

A brilliant and courageous follower, who dies after a long illness, he played with Richmond in the VFL.

He caused a sensation when, with Eric Fleming, of Geelong, and Frank Maher, of Essendon, he crossed to Oakleigh in the VFA to form what was called the “£24 a week ruck” — a figure hitherto unheard of.

[it was recorded many times that Rudolph was Dyer’s hero, whom Dyer considered to be not only the greatest Tiger he ever saw, but to be the best footballer ever]

WERRIBEE’S TIGERLAND

Streets in a large Werribee land sub-division have been named after former Richmond football champions.

As more land is sold streets will be named after present-day Richmond footballers.

The sub-divider is keen Richmond supporter, Cr Baden Powell of Market Road, Werribee, who in this “Tigerland” is creating his own Hall of Fame for Richmond “greats”.

Already there are streets named after Vic Thorpe [sic], George Rudolph, Dave Moffatt, Gordon and Doug Strang, Jack Titus, Jack Dyer, Bill Morris, Roy Wright, Martin Bolger, *smile* Harris and Ron Branton.

Present-day player, Bill Barrot, has got off to a great start in the new sub-division, in which a street has been named after him.

When the new sub-division is completed there will be almost 3000 houses, so there is little likelihood of any star player being missed out.

The main shopping centre is likely to be in Cations Place, named after Alan Cations, a Werribee boy who became a Richmond footballer.

[pictured is the late Vic Thorp]

OUTSTANDING JEWELL

Tony Jewell was the outstanding player in Richmond’s practice game on Saturday last, with an impressive display in the ruck and defence.

Peter Hogan roved well early, but faded in the last half.

Rover Kevin Smythe, 17, 5.8, 11.12, from Merbein, was “strange” in his first practice game, but showed promise.

Barry Richardson was a force on the half-forward line, marking strongly and kicking three goals.

Two Under 19 players to impress were Rex Hunt, 17, 6.3, 15.0, full-forward and David Jacks, 17, 6.0, 12.12, half-forward.
[below is Tony Jewell]​

TIGERS: SCRAP CLEARANCES

Richmond Football Club will ask the VFL permit committee tonight to scrap the VFL-VFA clearance agreement.
At present the VFA will accept players without clearances from VFL clubs. But the VFL requires VFA players to be cleared.
The position is complicated further by a recent VFA decision to demand a $3000 transfer fee for each VFA player transferring to the League.
Main player affected is Richmond recruit centreman Kevin Sheedy, who was cleared last night by Prahran.
Richmond secretary, Mr Graeme Richmond, said today there seemed no alternative to scrapping the clearance agreement because of the VFA’s transfer fee move.
“The VFA virtually have placed an embargo on clearing VFA players without transfer fees,” he said.
“League clubs would be breaking the Coulter Law if they entered into negotiations under this VFA arrangement and could be investigated by the Coulter Law arbitrators.”
Mr Richmond said a preferable arrangement would be the “open go” already in operation between amateur associations and the strong Federal and Eastern District leagues.
“Although the main amateur body, like the VFL and the VFA, is a member of the Australian National Football Council, no clearances are required when amateur players go to the VFL,” he said.
Only drawback to VFA players transferring to the VFL, he said, could come if they wanted to return to the VFA. They would face a possible five years’ suspension.
But that might not worry them because they would be eligible still to play with any country club.
“Although the VFA have been willing to take VFL players without clearances, I can’t see them inducing any of the stars, or even average players, to transfer,” Mr Richmond said.
“The VFL players know that if they went to the VFA without clearances they would forfeit their VFL and club provident funds payments.”
Footscray president Mr Jack Collins said today that Footscray had decided to defer all applications for clearances to Association clubs, until the VFA rescinded its $3000-a-player decision.
Mr Collins said that about five years ago Footscray cleared 25 players from their senior, supplementary and Under 19 lists to VFA clubs.
That year former Footscray player John Clegg won the VFA Liston Trophy and another former Footscray player, Don Whitten, had been runner-up.

[stay with this story; it becomes interesting as the drama unfolds]

Tougher training for the Tigers

It certainly won’t be coach Tom Hafey’s fault if any Richmond players fail in fitness.

Hafey has continued his “tough” training schedule this year.

The Tigers will train on three nights — Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday — the same as last year.

And tomorrow they will go to Percy Cerutty’s fitness camp for a week-end of special workouts, including running up and down sand dunes.

[below] Back to childhood games . . . but it’s serious physical training for Richmond footballers Mike Perry and Tony Jewell as Tony rides shoulder-high on Mike’s shoulders last night.

TIGERS A DRAWCARD

Richmond proved a bigger drawcard at the MCG last season than home team Melbourne.

The Melbourne Cricket Club annual report for 1966-67 shows that 381,735 watched the Tigers in their nine home matches at the MCG last season.

The Demons attracted 324,918.

Blow for Tigers

Blair Campbell [pictured], a strong candidate for one of Richmond’s two roving jobs, seems certain now to miss most of the season because of a cartilage injury.
Campbell will enter hospital soon and it could be more than eight weeks before he can resume full training.
Former VFL umpire, Ron Brophy, was in charge of a rugged 1½ hour practice game last night, in which centreman Bill Barrot had to leave the field with blistered feet.
Utility player, Ross Warner, who has recovered from a poisoned leg, was tried at full-back against experienced Fred Swift.
Warner played fairly well and the Tigers could retain him in his new position.
John Perry showed out on a wing and big Bill Walford, whose early matches with Richmond were at full-back, was given a ruck-roving assignment.
Walford moved freely despite a muscle injury in a foot which could still necessitate a minor operation.
Rover Frank Dimattina, who is suffering from a thigh injury, did not take part in the game but trained with the ball later.
Half-forward Barry Richardson (injured back) and winger Trevor Gowers (ankle) confined their training to lap work.

Northey the traveller

Richmond half-forward flanker John Northey must get close to taking the title of the most travelled VFL player of the season.

Northey lives on a 300-acre sheep property at Derrinallum, near Mortlake in the Western District.

He makes the 330-mile round trip to Richmond twice a week.

Tigers “find” a full-forward

Richmond’s full-forward position appears to be solved after 18-year-old Royce Hart [pictured below] kicked 9.2 against a combined Goulburn Valley League side at Shepparton yesterday.

The Tigers proved too fit and too strong for the country 18, winning 24.26 to 5.4.

Hart gained all his goals from well-judged high marks virtually within the goal square.

Faster to the ball, the Tigers gained drive from Swift on a half-forward flank, Richardson in the ruck and Guinane at centre half-forward.

Patterson used his height well in a forward pocket.

The country side occasionally struggled the ball forward, but was turned back by the Tiger defenders playing in front.

First quarter scores: Richmond 6.2; GVL 1.0

The GVL was more settled after the opening term, but dominating the air, the Tigers played to position to bombard goals. The GVL side was scoreless for the term.

By half-time Hart had seven goals up and Patterson three as Richmond led 15.6 to 1.0.

Ron Florence on a half-back flank turned many Richmond thrusts and former Footscray player Charlie Stewart on a half-forward flank gave more bite to the attack.

Richmond met tighter opposition in front of goals and the result was more points for the Tigers.

Third quarter scores: 18.14 to GVL 3.3.

Although Richmond moved the ball faster, it was fumbling up forward as the GVL defence played closer.

From good marks, Orchard, brought on in the last term, scored two quick goals and Hart got two more.

BEST — Richmond: Richardson, Swift, Hart, M. Perry, Smythe, Patterson.

GVL: Dryden, Howard, Stewart, Florence, Cornelius, Coady.

GOALS — Richmond: Hart 9, Patterson 3, Orchard, Bartlett, Moore 2, Sheedy, Smythe, Richardson, Swift, Dean, Guinane 1.

GVL: Willett 2, Guy, Wadham, Murray 1.

Active role for Smith

Former Fitzroy and Richmond coach, Len Smith, will resume that role at the ground tonight.
Smith, a selector with the Tigers, will address coaches from schools and junior clubs in Richmond’s territory on the opening night of four weeks of classes to be held on Wednesdays.
Richmond secretary, Graeme Richmond, expects 100 coaches to attend the series.
The coaches are fortunate to have Len Smith explaining what is involved in coaching football teams because he is one of the shrewdest tacticians in the League.

TIGER’S ANKLE BROKEN

Richmond’s top full-forward prospect, Royce Hart, is under a cloud with a serious ankle injury.

The club doctor fears Hart may have a cracked ankle bone and could be out of action for three weeks.

Hart’s ankle was x-rayed this afternoon and officials are anxiously awaiting the result.

Hart starred with nine goals when Richmond beat a Goulburn Valley League side at Shepparton at the week-end.

A former Tasmanian, he was the leading League Under 19’s goalkicker last season until he was promoted to the Reserves – he kicked the winning goal in the grand final.

Growl said:
Streets in a large Werribee land sub-division have been named after former Richmond football champions.

As more land is sold streets will be named after present-day Richmond footballers.

The sub-divider is keen Richmond supporter, Cr Baden Powell of Market Road, Werribee, who in this “Tigerland” is creating his own Hall of Fame for Richmond “greats”.

Already there are streets named after Vic Thorpe [sic], George Rudolph, Dave Moffatt, Gordon and Doug Strang, Jack Titus, Jack Dyer, Bill Morris, Roy Wright, Martin Bolger, *smile* Harris and Ron Branton.

Present-day player, Bill Barrot, has got off to a great start in the new sub-division, in which a street has been named after him.

When the new sub-division is completed there will be almost 3000 houses, so there is little likelihood of any star player being missed out.

The main shopping centre is likely to be in Cations Place, named after Alan Cations, a Werribee boy who became a Richmond footballer.

That area is now Hoppers Crossing, near where I live. It's quite a large area.

I wondered who the mad keen Richmond fan was who got to name all the streets there. Baden Powell had a street named after him too, in another area.

My daughter just recently moved to Hoppers Crossing, Jools. Unfortunately, there was no Growl Grove to move into, though. ;D