A few questions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A few questions

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Argh Help! I've blown up my computer :-\
Every time I turn on my computer I get a message saying "Cannot find the file 'fntldr.exe' or one of its components. Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available." Once I've clicked ok it brings up "Could not load or run file 'fntldr.exe' specified in the WIN.INI file. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the WIN.INI file.

I have no idea what I did but now every time I turn the computer on those two messages appear. Any sugggestions?

Also my aunty was using the computer and brought up this search engine called www.coolsearch.com for some reason it set itself as my homepage and no matter what I do I can't get rid of it (I wouldn't visit that page just in case it decides to make it your homepage and you cant get rid of it.) I've tried setting it back to my optus homepage but that only works for awhile before it goes back to the coolsearch page. It's driving me nuts trying to get rid of it.

If anyone can help me that'd be great. I should have done more than year 9 info tech ::) ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I had that coolsearch thing driving me bonkers for a while TG. My son got rid of it for me so I had "blank" as my home page again which I prefer.
He can't quite remember how he did it. He right clicked on start, then clicked explore and saw it in the left panel there. Of course he can't check now cos he removed it last week, ha.

alleycat

I'm a llama!
Aug 9, 2003
Frankston
i have had both problems b4........hmmm lemme think the missing file maybee part of a file younhave delted but not completely , and with ure browser i cleared the cache.... and got rid of the spyware. and it worked for me but ure best bet is ask tiga... as i learn as i go....:)

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
I managed to get rid of the coolsearch page I ran scan disk and defragged my computer then changed my homepage back to optus and it's now working.

Oh and what's a tracking cookie? ???

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
TG a tracking cookie is spyware. Run ADaware and it will get rid of it. You can get it here http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10214379.html?tag=lst-0-1

Some sites require cookies for you to use them and unfortunately they can transfer all your internet usage habits back to the site it came from. There is another program called Internet sweeper that gets rid of these cookies regularly for you. You can get it here http://download.com.com/3000-2144-9511964.html?tag=lst-0-4

Regarding the Fntldr.exe problem i did a search and someone else had the same problem. check this link on how to fix it. http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/152372.html If you are not sure what to do, let me know and I'll step you through it.

Hope that helps you TG

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
I already have adware installed and that was what was finding files called cookie tracker so I quarantined all of those. Managed to fix the fntldr.exe problem without blowing up the computer and installed the internet sweeper and ran it. Thanks heaps for that Tiga ;D ;D ;D just one more thing... that damn coolsearch page is back any idea on how to get rid of it? :-\

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
TG, download this.... http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
Run it and it's bye bye Coolsearch. Let me know how you go.

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Thanks again tiga ran that and it removed a few things so hopefully it's gone for good this time. I'll let you know if it worked properly in the next few days. I thought I had gotten rid of it yesterday but it was back again this morning ::) here's hoping it's finally gone.