A-League threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A-League threads [Merged]

Made the radio news here in London.

Yeah, international news. Player attacked by fans during a match will always be world news these days because there'll be plenty of footage of the incident

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Not at all excusing or justifying the attack, but it was pretty stupid to throw the flare back into the crowd, and dangerous. And brave, or stupid, to then just stand there when the thugs ran onto the pitch at him.

He's wearing keeper gloves which aren't great to handle smaller objects. He didn't look like he was aiming for the crowd but just lobbed it too far and went in a couple of rows.

Kudos to the Ref as well. Got in there pretty quickly and stood his ground. You can't turn your back to cowards like that because they'll take delight in hitting you from behind, but face up to them and they will hesitate unless they're 100% sure someone has their back.

Weak *smile*.

Reactions: 7 users
Not at all excusing or justifying the attack, but it was pretty stupid to throw the flare back into the crowd, and dangerous. And brave, or stupid, to then just stand there when the thugs ran onto the pitch at him.
He should have carried it back and shoved it up their arse.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I don't quite get that narrative. The Victory supporters involved are saying Glover's action in throwing the flare was dangerous yet they are the same fans that brought the flare into the stadium in the first place and then proceeded to throw it on the ground.

Reactions: 13 users

Sorry thats a poor take Brodders. He was clearly trying to throw the flare off the pitch so they could continue playing. Do you really think if he meant to throw it into the stands that he would stand there cluelessly watching as fans entered the pitch? He's have been running hard for the exit.

As I posted earlier, Victory fans blaming this as the "incitement" are doing what many football fans have done in the past and blame everyone but themselves.

I've witnessed many things in the 100's and 100's of football games I've attended (including going to Millwall twice as an away supporter) and I have never ever seen anything like above.

If I was a Victory fan, I wouldn't be expecting that I would have a chance to attend the football anytime soon, expect to be playing several games to empty supporters.

Reactions: 9 users
I don't quite get that narrative. The Victory supporters involved are saying Glover's action in throwing the flare was dangerous yet they are the same fans that brought the flare into the stadium in the first place and then proceeded to throw it on the ground.

Its a *smile* narrative being used an excuse to cover up awful behaviour.

Reactions: 4 users
I've witnessed many things in the 100's and 100's of football games I've attended (including going to Millwall twice as an away supporter) and I have never ever seen anything like above.
We had some Luton fans jump the fence a few years ago. They ripped the head off Haydon the Womble…!

Luton are every bit the equal of Millwall. Most teams have their crazy few - some just like to take it further than banter.

• Wow
I don’t think I’ve ever anticipated a poster’s perspective as I have of Ian4’s take on all this. Have always respected his opinion on sokka as he calls it. PRE’s inside man.

Look, I've got a fair bit to say, but I'm very tired. Extremely tired.

It's been a very tough week. Not just because of the events in the A-League, but other personal stuff and I'm struggling with all of it. My head hurts.

Let me get my head straight before I respond. But I will respond. (y)

Reactions: 8 users
We had some Luton fans jump the fence a few years ago. They ripped the head off Haydon the Womble…!

Luton are every bit the equal of Millwall. Most teams have their crazy few - some just like to take it further than banter.
The craziest one I remember was a home game (probably something like 1991) against Cardiff. We were winning 2-0, they invade the pitch, as we are attacking towards our home end. We score to make it 3-0 which kind of made their invasion suck all that bit more.

I've seen fans scaling floodlight pylons to hang flags of their club.

I've been to Luton, Chelsea, Leeds but there is just something about going to Millwall. You are inside the stadium, in a self contained stand, yet you still feel intimidated inside the ground. Heading home on the tube after a 3-0 loss and trying to look happy so I don't get lynched was fun.

Also, at a local derby at Cambridge probably 2 decades ok on a Tuesday night, walking out the ground (we either won or drew) and the way to our car was blocked by a mass amount of their fans and a police line. We were told that "we had to go the other way" which was a bunch of allotments. Si we are walking through these allotments, trying to find a way out, and then once we found a way out, find someway to get back to the car, no smart phones back then either so that was fun too.

The one that links in probably the most to tonight though, is we played a cup tie against Kingstonian back in the 90's, we were 3-0 up and some complete twat throws a coin at the away keeper, hitting him and knocking him down, he was subbed off but the game continued, we won 9-0. Game result was cancelled and we were made to play a replay without fans. I think we either had another game without fans or it might have been suspended, can't remember but that was 1 fan, not the 100's that invaded tonight. Victory better expect the book to be thrown at them.

Reactions: 1 users
The craziest one I remember was a home game (probably something like 1991) against Cardiff. We were winning 2-0, they invade the pitch, as we are attacking towards our home end. We score to make it 3-0 which kind of made their invasion suck all that bit more.

I've seen fans scaling floodlight pylons to hang flags of their club.

I've been to Luton, Chelsea, Leeds but there is just something about going to Millwall. You are inside the stadium, in a self contained stand, yet you still feel intimidated inside the ground. Heading home on the tube after a 3-0 loss and trying to look happy so I don't get lynched was fun.

Also, at a local derby at Cambridge probably 2 decades ok on a Tuesday night, walking out the ground (we either won or drew) and the way to our car was blocked by a mass amount of their fans and a police line. We were told that "we had to go the other way" which was a bunch of allotments. Si we are walking through these allotments, trying to find a way out, and then once we found a way out, find someway to get back to the car, no smart phones back then either so that was fun too.

The one that links in probably the most to tonight though, is we played a cup tie against Kingstonian back in the 90's, we were 3-0 up and some complete twat throws a coin at the away keeper, hitting him and knocking him down, he was subbed off but the game continued, we won 9-0. Game result was cancelled and we were made to play a replay without fans. I think we either had another game without fans or it might have been suspended, can't remember but that was 1 fan, not the 100's that invaded tonight. Victory better expect the book to be thrown at them.
Must be in the water at Kingstonian. That was AFCW’s home ground when Luton lost the plot.

I don’t follow soccer that closely so I’m hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this. What is it with soccer fans and flares? I understand it’s a small minority, but I can’t remember the last time one was let off at the footy, or rugby league, or union or cricket.
Also, how do they regularly get through security? Do they do checks like they do at the footy?

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t follow soccer that closely so I’m hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this. What is it with soccer fans and flares? I understand it’s a small minority, but I can’t remember the last time one was let off at the footy, or rugby league, or union or cricket.
Also, how do they regularly get through security? Do they do checks like they do at the footy?
If they can get a motorbike in, the little flares ain't a problem man!! :eek:

• Wow