a named player to be used as trade bait | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

a named player to be used as trade bait

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
from another tiger forum at a very recent open meeting that the football department willtrade a "name" player at the end of the year.
i would suggest the following would be a tad nervous:
mr bowden and mr richarson.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
If we could get Nathan Brown and Robert Murphy for Richo and Bowden I think that would be a good deal.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
johnson2richo2003 said:
from another tiger forum at a very recent open meeting that the football department willtrade a "name" player at the end of the year.
i would suggest the following would be a tad nervous:
mr bowden and mr richarson.

If this open meeting was last night's Members Info night J2R - then the statement is what I would call partially correct. MAybe it is about interpretation of what was said.

I was at that meeting and my report on it follow later.

But what Greg Hutchison said was the Club would be very aggressive come the trade and draft period. He said the Club was evaluating the list and if we want to get quality players then we have to be prepared to offer something of value in return. With that he added that "we" as supporters had to be prepared to see a player that may have been at the club a while traded.

Would be interested to know which other site it was posted on

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
What contract did Richo sign last year? I would have thought he's safe due to that deal. Certainly Bowden seems the obvious target. He's got enough of a profile to get us something good in return. Who else could it possibly be?

If it was possible, now would be the perfect time to trade Richo. He'll go steadily downhill from this year on as he heads into his 30s and his shaky body starts to take its toll. Never thought I'd agree with the idea, but I'm starting to wonder whether it's something we should look at.

Then again, our hands are tied due to lack of key position players. Apparently there are very few big men in the next draft.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Tigerblood said:
What contract did Richo sign last year? I would have thought he's safe due to that deal. Certainly Bowden seems the obvious target. He's got enough of a profile to get us something good in return. Who else could it possibly be?

If it was possible, now would be the perfect time to trade Richo. He'll go steadily downhill from this year on as he heads into his 30s and his shaky body starts to take its toll. Never thought I'd agree with the idea, but I'm starting to wonder whether it's something we should look at.

Then again, our hands are tied due to lack of key position players. Apparently there are very few big men in the next draft.

Yeah I would have thought the same. They made such a fuss to get Richo to resign - why would they then turn around and trade him? Wouldn't that just put us in a "nick daffy/david bourke" situation all over again? Trade Bowden!

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Under the new CBA Richo is safe - being in the first year of a contract. And even without it they wont trade Richo

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
KL - regarding that new rule - what if both player and club agree to a trade, can it go ahead then? Seems silly to stand in the way of a trade if both player and club are keen.

Not suggesting that this is the case with Richo, even though IMO the club's best interests would be served by looking for a suitable trade.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
KL - regarding that new rule - what if both player and club agree to a trade, can it go ahead then? Seems silly to stand in the way of a trade if both player and club are keen.

I would assume the answer is Yes - Dean if the player agrees. I think it designed to protect the player - when they don't want to go- e.g like Heffernen last season

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
If we look at our best line up, Richo and Bowden are integral to it, and IMO neither would be traded unless another club came looking specifically for either player, which I would consider unlikely.

Name player being traded would more likely be Fiora, Hilton and maybe even Tivva :'( :'(

Due to the lack of big men around, I think the club would be unlikely to rid itself of any of our big men, even Vardy as he offers good back up.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Think we should keep Tivendale. He is starring.

If their idea of trading big time with a name player is trading Rory Hilton, then we should be able to pick up an absolute gun like Nathan Eagleton or Steven Lawrence.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
I agree. What would Fiora or Hilton get us? Very little I'd say. Maybe Tivendale would be attractive to many clubs. If Hutchison is talking about being aggressive, he must have someone better than the first two in mind, because we'd have to throw in a first round draft pick with either of them to have any chance of securing a Kane Johnson type. And I think most of us want to draft a good youngster with that...?

I can't help feeling they intend to offer something big - and Bowden has got to be odds-on if that's the case. I think the days of trading Chris Bond for pick 2, or Jeff Hogg for Paul Broderick + Mick Gale are probably over!

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
We should only be trading player like Richo (who by the way I'm all for getting rid of) for draft picks and lots of them.

No more Torney/Johnson deals. They don't improve the list and unfairly raise supporter expectation only to have them smashed by mid season.

We have a reasonable core group there who can carry the load while we blood the next generation. But then again if I had Beck in charge of recruiting I'd want to trade as well.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
believe it when i see it!!!!

Last couple of years they have always been saying we are going to be tough in the draft and trade this and that. Same thing will happen this year.

Only players they will look at going will be

fiora
hilton
rogers
pettifer

we wont even get draft picks for these duds. The day bowden gets traded will be the day i buy 10 memberships. Only trade richo if someone like judd is in the picture. Although he is getting older and slower so maybe we should look at cashing in while we can. It would break my heart to see him running around in other colours. He will star in a quality side like brisbane, adelaide or port.

Lets just wait and see before we get too excited. The richmond football club of late has made many promises on and off the field, but hasnt delievered as required.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
FUD, you must be kidding.
Any trade involving Richo & Judd would also include someone good and young. I think if we got Judd for Richo and Bowden we would be lucky.
Brissy wouldn't have him in a million years, unless they got him dirt cheap.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I'm with Tfurious. Trade our second line players for draft picks. Unless we go for Judd I say we must keep our first round draft pick. I'd rather see Richo go than Bowden but I don't think we can get any quality player for him. I'd trade richo for a first or second round draft pick. I wanna see a heap of youngsters nexty year. Seeing someone like Newman come through the ranks gets me more excited than seeing a Johnson in our colors. We should look to the 2000 draft as an example where we mainly drafted youngsters and it seems 3 of them will become great players.

P

PuntRoadRoar

i read an article yesterday that basically said that there wasnt much depth in the draft after about pick 30 for this years draft so i wouldnt be holding my breath on recruiting a heap of youngsters unfortunately.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
hutstar said:
FUD, you must be kidding.
Any trade involving Richo & Judd would also include someone good and young. I think if we got Judd for Richo and Bowden we would be lucky.
Brissy wouldn't have him in a million years, unless they got him dirt cheap.

Spot on the money Hutstar. I can't see too many clubs lining up for a 28 year old injury prone player who is liable to win as many games off his own boot as he is liable to lose them.

Judd is going to be a gun for the next ten years. Richo probably has 2 complete seasons left, stretched out over 4 years.

I know Richo is part of the Richmond psyche, but if the club had the balls to trade him for say a Robert Murphy I think it would be a really positive move. Not sure the bulldogs would even go for that.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
PuntRoadRoar said:
i read an article yesterday that basically said that there wasnt much depth in the draft after about pick 30 for this years draft so i wouldnt be holding my breath on recruiting a heap of youngsters unfortunately.

100% on the money PRR - exactly what Hutchy said last night

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I'd give Judd a wide berth.

Some of the possible trades being bandied around are ridiculous.

I'd be reluctant to trade Bowden but if we got say a top 5 pick and another under 30 for him it would be well worth considering. Our list lacks considerable depth and swaping similar players for similar players is going to get us nowhere fast. I say the club should look to draft 20 new kids over the next 3 years and really try to develop a new core group.

But before anything can happen Beck as to be tarred, feathered and sent on his way.