A Preseason Preview - Part 4 of 16 - Collingwood | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Preseason Preview - Part 4 of 16 - Collingwood

johnson2richo2005 said:
evo said:
Ah the Carringbush.No team has over rated their list more than the Pies.Personally I'm rapt.The drafting of Caracella says alot to me.They think they aren't far away.Guys like him fit in to team having a serious tilt in the next few years ie Saints geelong Weagels etc.Not the Pies imo.
Good pickup evo.
reminds me of a certain coach who decided to pick up a similar type of player to Caracella a few years ago to put the icing on the cake. ;D

beat me to the punch Huddo????, LOL

Yes,
If they had been smarter they could have traded 1 or 2 of their better late prime age/early twilight players for 1 or 2 early draft picks then drafted someone who could have been their next Buckley. Maybe they think Egan will be that player.
Well let's hope the young boy makes the most of his opportunity.

Be careful - this mob has the same aroma around it as those teams that made the GF two years running a couple of seasons ago - only to be beaten by Brisbane.

Mick Malthouse is as cunning as a lavatory rodent - he and his co. have had more months to work hard on the psychological downer that second GF defeat caused.

This bloody mob have what appears to be an ordinary list - but the bastards keep bouncing back into the finals - I for one am not going to write them off.

RemoteTiger said:
Be careful - this mob has the same aroma around it as those teams that made the GF two years running a couple of seasons ago - only to be beaten by Brisbane.

Mick Malthouse is as cunning as a lavatory rodent - he and his co. have had more months to work hard on the psychological downer that second GF defeat caused.

This bloody mob have what appears to be an ordinary list - but the bastards keep bouncing back into the finals - I for one am not going to write them off.

Sorry RT but i am prepared to wave them goodbye right now - they wont get near the GF this year buddy and i say that with great delight ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

RemoteTiger said:

Yes, agreed, but take a look at Mick's form guide and you can see, his message starts to get stale after a few years.
This is why he was gutted after the first GF loss, it was the one he had ear marked.
Same scenario at the Doggies and the Eagles.

Was interesting when they tried to get Eade to come in.....a ready replacement for Mick. I think he would of been having some tense moments during that time..... ;)

Was 2004 the Magpies aberration or was it 2002-2003?

They made both Grand Finals because they peaked in September, both in terms of injuries and form. PA self-destructed in both years, Essendon started to look human again and no other team was able to stand up for long periods. In 2003, for example, St Kilda were clearly one of the form sides at the end of the year but didn't make the finals. More good luck for Collingwood.

Their luck ran out in 2004 and it is clear that they believe they are still at the top of their game.

I'm predicting they will stay in the bottom five or six. Buckley, Rocca and Tarrant will win a few games for them and that will be about it.

Phantom outsanding work mate :)
I am really enjoing your Previews ..it really helps to understand teams like a SWOT anaylsis etc
anyway looking farwd to see your preview on the Blues (not sure which way they will go in 2005 )and the Roo's (a team I see falling down the ladder)

The Maggotpies are good for the next 3 cups, I heard it from a Pies supporter, in fact I heard it from them all. LOL ;D

Sounds fair enough Panto.

Evo, agree totally with your Caracella comments. I've said it before on here and I'll say it again, why would you pay a motza for a decent but expensive player when you aren't threatening? ESPECIALLY after its clear to everyone with a brain that Woewowowodin will not be the lynchpin in a flag.

Cara and Woewy (nice ring to it doncha reckon?) will now be in the higher end of their wage bracket, recipe for disaster considering how old their guns are and how average most of the rest of their list is.

tigersnake said:
Sounds fair enough Panto.

Evo, agree totally with your Caracella comments. I've said it before on here and I'll say it again, why would you pay a motza for a decent but expensive player when you aren't threatening? ESPECIALLY after its clear to everyone with a brain that Woewowowodin will not be the lynchpin in a flag.

Cara and Woewy (nice ring to it doncha reckon?) will now be in the higher end of their wage bracket, recipe for disaster considering how old their guns are and how average most of the rest of their list is.

Fair comments jake the snake but the question is will they make the 8 this year. While the top ups may mean down the ladder in a couple/few years, this year Cara and Woey will assist Bucks and co, on their final legs, to one more finals appearance. IMO of course. :) :)

Phantom said:
Conclusion:
The Pies seem relatively easy to place. They will probably have 1 more year like last season. Maybe their juniors and development players may be one year older, but so is Buckley. They rely so heavily on Buckley. That’s why they wanted Stevens so much last year, but Carlton got him, and Carlton improved. Caracella is clearly nowhere near a replacement for Buckley. Why they got him, I don’t know. Yes, the Carringbush will have to be patient until someone grows into Buckley’s shoes.

I disagree with your report on Collingwood Phantom. I think they will go very close this year to making a top 4 finish. At this stage I'm not going to comment on how they match up against Port & St Kilda, but a team coached by Malthouse in the finals is always a fair chance.

Your information shows that Collingwood have Fraser, Cameron Cloke, Guy Richards & Tom Davidson that can all play in the ruck. It must be exciting to have 4 players under the age of 25 that can play in the ruck.

Perhaps the area that most people tend to emphasise about Collingwood is the Buckley factor. Forget about Buckley for a moment and concentrate on names such as Clement, Johnson, Cole, Presti, Wakelin - These guy's establish a formidale defence that will compliment Nathan Buckley across Half Back.
Tarrant, Rocca & Fraser, accompanied by the likes of Didak, Carracella is enough to scare any defence.
And as for the midfeild, well...try Burns, Licuria, Lockyer, Woewodin.

I think alot of people are underestimating Collingwood. At $16 on SportsBet, this is great value for money.

Yes, skills, I recognise your point. I understand that they have good young ruckmen and kpps coming up. But they lack an engine to drive these kpps. And as they say, you can have the biggest caravan in the world, but if it's being driven by a 4 cylinder engine it goes nowhere.

Phantom said:
Yes, skills, I recognise your point. I understand that they have good young ruckmen and kpps coming up. But they lack an engine to drive these kpps. And as they say, you can have the biggest caravan in the world, but if it's being driven by a 4 cylinder engine it goes nowhere.

True Phantom ...however, Collingwood's "engine" (as evidant on Friday Night) is driven from across half-back; Cole, R.Lonie, Clement & Johnson provide hard running that allows them to link up with Licuria, Lockyer, O'Bree, Woewodin, Burns & Buckley; Their forward line is well managed, allowing Tarrant, Rocca & Fraser to lead with lots of space; They will also have numerous options front 'n square, with the likes of Didak, Davis & Caracella.
And as for Friday night, well...let's just say from ground level...I was very impressed with the way the ball was being 'hit' around. Their "skills" were very sharp - And it was only Feb.