A Preseason Preview - Part 8 of 16 - Fremantle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Preseason Preview - Part 8 of 16 - Fremantle

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
The Dockers - About to make it happen

This week SEN has spoken extensively about the clock. 9, the start of the window; 12, the big years; 3, rebuilding time; and 6, the doldrums.
Docker's have an exciting list but hamstrung in one area that will have to be compensated for - tall ruck/forwards, and Pavlich's inability to make CHF his home.
Chris Connolly got the Dockers into the finals in 2003, but marginally missed out in 2004. He has improved the Dockers since his arrival. He is ably assisted by Kelly O'Donnell, the former coach of the Murray Bushrangers when they used to win TAC premierships; Michael Broadbridge, an outstanding junior coach and assistant to Malthouse when the Maggots made the GFs; Chris Waterman, former Eagle premiership defender; and Steve Malaxos, who is probably the weak link in the ring. Note their lack of a significant ruck/forward coach and their subsequent problems in this area.

The Fremantle side has 43 players of which 7 are new and 4 are rookies. 3 of the 7 newies are inside strong midfielders, Carr, Schofield & Black, an area the Dockers needed to improve in. Compare this to our 40 players of which 2 are rookies. Their list is as follows:

Sandilands 211 115 22
Longmuir 198 97 24
Warren 195 97 23 Rookie
Johnson 195 87 21
McPharlin 193 88 23
Polak 193 85 20
Copping 193 78 19 New
Pavlich 192 100 23
Thornton 192 86 22
Campbell 192 78 20
Murphy 192 81 19
CarrM 191 88 26
Woods 191 84 23
Krieger 191 80 18 Rookie
Juniper 191 83 18 Rookie
Parker 190 92 32
Dodd 190 82 22 New
Mundy 189 82 19
Grover 188 91 25
Haddrill 188 94 24
Gilmore 188 80 22
Headland 187 87 24
Siegert 187 91 23
Duffield 187 87 20 Rookie
Webster 186 90 22
Dunn 184 83 19
Peake 183 80 21
Haines 182 81 23
Hasleby 182 86 23
Hayden 181 77 24
McManus 180 81 29
Walker 180 80 26
Schofield 178 79 30 New
Cook 178 82 28
CarrJ 178 81 24 New
Medhurst 178 82 23
Stribling 178 76 18 New
Black 177 80 25 New
Browne 176 76 21 New
Smith 175 77 22
Schammer 175 71 19
Bell 174 84 29
Farmer 174 78 27

The spread is as follows:

Twilight = 28+yo
Prime = 25-27yo
Development = 22-24yo
Junior = 18-21yo

Dockers
<180 Small Runners
Twilight: Schofield 30, Bell 29, Cook 28
Prime: Farmer 27, Black 25
Development: J Carr 24, Medhurst 23, Smith 22
Junior: Browne 21, Schammer 19, Stribling 18

Tigers
<180 Small Runners
Twilight: 0
Prime: 0
Development: Krakouer 22,
Junior: Rodan 21, Foley 20,

Dockers
180-184 Smaller Mediums
Twilight: McManus 29
Prime: Walker 26
Development: Hayden 24, Haines 23, Hasleby 23
Junior: Peake 21, Dunn 19

Tigers
180-184 Smaller Mediums
Twilight: Chaffey 28
Prime: Brown 27,
Development: Pettifer 23, Newman 23, Hyde 22,
Junior: Hartigan 20, Gilmour 19, Roach 19, Meyer 18, Raines 18, Tambling 18,

Dockers
185-189 Taller Mediums
Prime: Grover 25
Development: Haddrill 24, Headland 24, Siegert 23, Gilmore 22, Webster 22
Junior: Duffield 20, Mundy 19

Tigers
185-189 Taller Mediums
Twilight: Campbell 32
Prime: Bowden 27, Johnson 27, Hilton 26, Tivendale 26,
Development: Tuck 23, Coughlan 23,
Junior: Jackson 19, Deledio 18, Polo 18,

Dockers 
190-194 Mobile Key Position
Twilight: Parker 32
Prime: M Carr 26
Development: McPharlin 23, Pavlich 23, Woods 23, Thornton 22, Dodd 22
Junior: Polak 20, Campbell 20, Copping 19, Murphy 19, Krieger 18, Juniper 18

Tigers
190-194 Mobile Key Position
Twilight: Graham 32, Gaspar 29, Kellaway 29
Development: Morrison 24,
Junior: Moore 21, Schulz 20, Archibald 19, Thursfield 19, McGuane 18, Limbach 17

Dockers
195-199 Key Position/ Ruck
Development: Longmuir 24, Warren 23
Junior: Johnson 21

Tigers
195-199 Key Position/ Ruck
Twilight: Richardson 30
Prime: Simmonds 27,
Development: Hall 24,
Junior: Pattison 19

Dockers
200+ Ruck
Development: Sandilands 22
Junior: 0

Tigers
200+ Ruck
Twilight: Stafford 30
Prime: Knobel 25,
Development: 0
Junior: 0

The spread really shows up Fremantle's fragility. One ruckman on their whole list is a disgrace upon their football management. No prime big men. A surplus of junior mobile kpps at the expense of experienced stronger bigmen. For runners they look fine.

The Docker positional depth chart is as follows:

B: McManus 29 McPharlin 23 Parker 32
Walker 26 Thornton 22 Dodd 22
            Murphy 19 Polak 20

HB: Black 25 Warren 23 Grover 25
Hayden 24 Johnson 21 Haddrill 24
            Mundy 19 Seigert 23

C: Woods 23 J Carr 24 Gilmore 22
Webster 22 Hasleby 23

HF: Haines 23 M Carr 26 Peake 21
Duffield 20 Pavlich 23 Dunn 19
                Copping 19 Browne 21

F: Krieger 18 Longmuir 24 Farmer 27
Juniper 18 Campbell 20 Medhurst 23

R: Sandilands 22 Schofield 30 Bell 29
                        Headland 24 Cook 28
                        Schammer 19 Smith 22
                  Stribling 18

The Dockers look strong in defence and strong in the midfield, but repeating they have only 1 ruck option and only 2 genuine key forwards in Pavlich, Longmuir & M Carr. Krieger & Juniper have been stuck in a FP because it was an empty space otherwise. Their other key forward options are not yet ready. Losing Simmonds was an enormous blow to them.

Conclusion:
The Dockers have spent an enormous time investing in some of the best juniors in Australia. But I think they're running out of patience. Recruiting 3 experienced midfielders means that they want success this year. They have a good enough defence and midfield to be succesful. But, they will need Sandilands to be in top form all year, and for all their key forwards to fire big time throughout the season.
In the end, that last sentence is probably asking too much. I don't think Fremantle will improve greatly this year. They probably will make the bottom end of the finals. They may just miss out. If they lose Sandilands early they could be in real trouble.

PS: I'd place them at 10.45, but then again,trains always arrive late.

Again, I welcome your feedback.

The Dockers are an interesting one.Potentially could be top 4 but lost too many at home last year despite winning some games on the road.Critical year for Connolly as if they don't deliver this year he could get the chop.With Pavlich,Haselby,Carr & co they should make the 8. Carr is a great pick up & Schofield should be handy giving them an excellent midfield.My prediction somewhere between 5th & 8th.

Freo will have an awesome midfield this year.Josh Carr is a really big inclusion.They've always lacked a really good insider and he's the missing link.Black is a competent reciever link type player and along with Haselby and Bell make a talented foutsome.This year Schammer will start stamping himself on games,looks a real talent tome.He's at that age.Schofield will be hand for midfield depth.Pavlich can be swung onto the ball for bursts.A la Hird.

McPharlin is a real talent down back.top 3 in the league chb.(Wish he played for us)the rest of their backman a pretty workmanlike.

I agree there are question marks still on their forward line.It depends alot on how Polak plays this year.He's a talented guy who hasn't been able to impose himself of games enough yet.THis is his year to stand up.You have him back pocket PHantom but I'd expect him to play CHF with Pavlich along side him.LOngmuir and Medhurst  the full forwards.

Losing Snake to us means Sandilands will have alot to do.Interesting to see if he's up to it.A mountain of a man.

Still question marks on Connolly's ability IMO and if they don't see finals this year he's gone I'd say.

I have them as a bit of smokey this year and wouldn't be suprised top 4.

Freo certainly have the cattle and a huge home ground advantage to be just about sew up a top 8 spot.However as last year proved nothing can be taken for granted.A massive year for both coach and some "star" players.A repeat of last year will see the end of the coach while the likes of Jeff farmer and Des Headland if they fail to deliver again this year may find themselves on the market.
They have recruited well with Carr and Black and their midfeild is their strength.
Their bookends are a bit of a worry.
Is expect them to finish 5th-8th.

[quote author=Phantom]One ruckman on their whole list is a disgrace upon their football management.[/quote]

Agreed. Any sort of injuries to Sandilands and Longmuir and they'll miss the finals.

Definitely should be top 4 in my opinion to have a midfield that can comprise of - Bell, Headland, Pavlich, Carr, Schofield, McManus, Schammer, Black etc. etc, a solid defence and some goalkicking options albeit mainly short in Farmer and Medhurst. They will rely on their midfield to kick a lot of goals for them and should score goals due to the number of inside 50's that their backline and midfield should create. They also need a good run with injuries to taller players.

Interesting idea about Polak, Evo. He has little or no history of goalkicking, and is not a natural forward. In 1977 North stuck Stephen Icke at CHF to give Briedis some freedom on a HFF, but that was for just a couple of finals games, not a full season. Even then I remember Dench having to move to CHF a couple of times. So as a long term proposition I have my doubts.

He's not realy a Dench type though Phantom.More like our Shultz actually.He similarly to Schulz in that he has looked a little lost at times but possibly that can be put down to youth.Freo have just signed him on a pretty good contract.I think Freo almost "sacrificed" Simmonds to ensure they signed McPharlin and Polak.It all seem to come to head at the same time.They obviously rate him.

I'm not sure he isn't a natural forward.He's a nice pack mark.Players like that aren't easy to find.

evo said:
He's not realy a Dench type though Phantom.More like our Shultz actually.He similarly to Schulz in that he has looked a little lost at times but possibly that can be put down to youth.Freo have just signed him on a pretty good contract.I think Freo almost "sacrificed" Simmonds to ensure they signed McPharlin and Polak.It all seem to come to head at the same time.They obviously rate him.

I'm not sure he isn't a natural forward.He's a nice pack mark.Players like that aren't easy to find.

Yes, you could be right. (I was actually equating Polak to Icke, not Dench. Polak is much taller than Icke.) It's just that one of those rules that I tend to rigidly stick by is that forwards can become defenders, but defenders rarely become forwards. But I've been wrong before.

With the midfield considerably strengthened this year it would be an absolute waste sending The Pav in there. He should concentrate his talents as a moblie CHF/HFF, occupying the opposition's best defender and aiming for at least 40 goals. The rest will come from Medhurst, Farmer, Longmuir and the mid-fielders.

I expect them to come on this year for a top 4 finish - if they can duplicate last years away games success.

My $0.02.

No longer certianties at home, forward line not good enough. Will just miss out. If they sneak in will get poleaxed in an interstate (for them) final turning the spotlight on Connolly and Co and their inability to get together a consistently functioning forward line.

This is my hunch team, and not in a positive way. I think they lost considerable momentum last year and are the worse for it. A few injuries in key areas could expose them big time. Despite some of the logic to support otherwise, I don't have them in the finals.

Agree with most of whats been said re: Dynamic midfield,which now has some nastiness and bite with the inclusion of Carr and Black returning.With Bell,Haselby and Cook you have some ball winners.They would be one of the quicker sides in the comp.
The backline is solid without being spaectacular,Id only rate Mc Pharlin as a top player among them.Haddrill and maybe Polak can emerge.

Rucks or lack of it has been mentioned.
Every side will rotate to run Sandy man off his feet in exhaustion.

The forward line has too many hot and cold performers for mine.
Talented players like Medhurst,Headland and that horrible little #$%^ Jeff Farmer.
Brilliant one week,nowhere on a cold Melbourne matchday when the pressures on.

Will make the 8 on home advantage and crack immediately under finals pressure.
6th-8th.

this is their best side imo
b walker haddrill polak
hb hayden mcpharlin m carr
c black haselby headland
hf schammer pavlich r dunn
f murphy longmuir medhurst
r sandilands j carr bell
int from mcmanus cook johnson grover schofield and parker.
i believe freo will make the 8 on the back of the home ground advantage at least 10 wins.the side has good height both down back and up forward lots of run and 2 outstanding kids ready to make their mark in dunn and murphy. the inclusion of carr schofield and black who all have good pace and use the ball well should be the guarantee that connolly who is not a coaches *smile* needs to book a top 8 spot.

Ah claw-I respect your view on Freo becaue I've always suspected you secretly have a soft spot for for them. ;) Maybe Ms Claw does.

Anyway.

1)I'm building a team in a Sim footy comp.Just fishing around for some young prospects.Whats the scuttlebutt on this Murphy you have at FP?Training the house down?The next Pavlich?Poor mans Headland?

2) You think Polak is best used at back pocket too?

evo said:
Ah claw-I respect your view on Freo becaue I've always suspected you secretly have a soft spot for for them. ;) Maybe Ms Claw does.

Anyway.

1)I'm building a team in a Sim footy comp.Just fishing around for some young prospects.Whats the scuttlebutt on this Murphy you have at FP?Training the house down?The next Pavlich?Poor mans Headland?

2) You think Polak is best used at back pocket too?

If my memory is correct Murphy played as a CHF/CHB for Gippsland in 2003. He got over 20 possies 3 times in the season, took over 5 marks on 9 occassions, mentioned in best players 5 times, and kicked 9 goals, with a 2 goals max. So to me he looks more convincing at FB/CHB than CHF. At 192cms he is just tall enough to carry a key position.

Yeah cheers Phantom .I vaguely remember him being pretty decent.good aerobic capity for a tall guy.

the claw said:
this is their best side imo
b walker haddrill polak
hb hayden mcpharlin m carr
c black haselby headland
hf schammer pavlich r dunn
f murphy longmuir medhurst
r sandilands j carr bell
int from mcmanus cook johnson grover schofield and parker.

Freo. Not a tall to bless themselves with IMO. Maybe Haddrill. The guys they've got who are over 190 play small except Polak and Sandilands. Polak is the only guy on the list who can take a contested mark and he's maybe 88 or 89kg in 2005. He's too light to carry the burden of being a key marking target. Could make a #3 forward in 2005 but ATM Medhurst is their number 1. Hardly cover for the kid. Polak is probably not ready yet but Freo's hopes improve as he does.

When he plays forward JLo is Medhurst's housemaid. JLo picks up after the big fellow Medhurst, (179cm) if he spills the mark. JLo doesn't usually fly for the marks. Medhurst does. If Medhurst's not there JLo lets Farmer fly for the mark and stays at the foot of the pack. JLo likes to rove. That said he showed excellent form when played as a v mobile ruck later in 04. He's the first choice ruck now. God help him if he meets a nasty ruckman who can catch him. Sandilands #2. They can put both on the park at once. BTW Sandilands can improve his marking this year. He is usually a fine catch but doesn't get to position often enough. Might be used more successfully up forward.

I'll have another look at McPharlin, evo but for mine he looks like a Hawthorn player. A total ponce. A decoy chb who has to be hidden if there's a real chf on the park. Luckily there aren't many of them around. (CHFs I mean. Decoy CHBs are all too common.) Why do you like him?

Parker and Haddrill are okay. Robbie's got some nuts. It'll be nice when Josh Carr gets there. He'll have another bloke to talk to.

This list is very rich in smalls. Particularly if you include the big Meringue (Pav) in that category. With the arrival of Josh Carr and full fitness to Matt Carr they will have extra grunt in 2005. Players like Schofield and Black help your margin but the Carrs help you win.

Hayden's an interesting one. He seemed to implode in 2004 after showing some promise.

Without wasting time on all their lepers I'd like to single out Walker. A 26yo blonde who's been passing himself off as a promising youngster for the past 15 years. Football's Luke Perry. No disrespect to Luke. By comparison he can play.

Maybe they'll look like this-
b R.Hayden R.Haddrill S.Parker
hb M.Carr L.McPharlin R.Dunn?
c P.Haselby J.Carr D.Headland
hf J.Schofield Big Meringue J.Farmer
f A.Sandilands G.Polak P.Medhurst
r J.Longmuir B.Schammer P.Bell

int No established talls for the bench. A worry.
From Woods, Black, Browne, Walker, ... :help

Gilmore Peake Johnson Any news on these guys?

Bagging their talls is the fun bit. They will field a mighty midfield if everyone's fit. Headland has been carrying injuries since they got him. Any word on him?

Some chance Schammer will ge the blues.

Yes, R.Murphy is a very interesting prospect. Any WAFL scoop? Thornton is the one I'm most interested in. Any scoop?

IMO, A big motor with little wheels. If they had a spine the Dockers could go somewhere this year. They are going back to Neesham's cheating ways of finding players who are hard to match up. Once their tactics unravel (at the business end of the season) I reckon they'll come a cropper.

I'm worried about their depth. If they don't uncover some youth, they just have a bench and no talls on it. It's premiership o'clock in the midfield and spoon time in the spine. Out of synch. 6th? 8th?

Dyer'ere said:

Yes, R.Murphy is a very interesting prospect. Any WAFL scoop? Thornton is the one I'm most interested in. Any scoop?

Daniel Gilmore
The left-footed utility from South Fremantle was added to the senior list at the end of last season after an impressive season as an AFL rookie in the WAFL. His pace, agility and sharp skills make him suitable for a wing or as an attacking half-back. Grandson of 1954 Bulldogs premiership player Brian Gilmore.
Draft history: 2003 rookie elevation (Fremantle).

Brett Peake
The son of West Australian legend Brian was selected under the father-son rule at last year’s National AFL Draft, the first player the club has nabbed under that system. A gifted athlete, the midfielder played 22 games for East Fremantle in the WAFL last season. The club expects the 20-year-old to develop quickly.
Draft history: 2003 National AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Fremantle) No. 43.

Michael Johnson
Tall, key position player who excels at both ends of the ground. Recruiters were impressed with his football smarts and smooth hand and foot skills. Played every game for Perth in the WAFL last season, mainly at centre half-back. Considered advanced enough to play senior football in 2004.
Draft history: 2004 Pre-Season Draft 1st round selection (Fremantle) No. 8 overall.

Ryan Murphy
Tall, key position player who leads well and kicks the ball with tremendous skill. A prolific ball-winner with clean hands who will bolster the club’s emerging group of tall players. Performed well in a number of tests at last year’s National AFL Draft Camp, including the five-metre sprint and three-kilometre time trial.
Draft history: 2003 National AFL Draft 1st round selection (Fremantle) No. 12 overall.

Scott Thornton
Displayed consistently good form in the WAFL to feature in five games, including the elimination final. Is a developing defender recruited from Victoria who was also listed as an emergency seven times. Will need to add muscle to his frame.
Draft history: 2000 National AFL Draft 5th round selection (Fremantle) No. 66 overall.

Phantom said:
Dyer'ere said:

Ryan Murphy
Tall, key position player who leads well and kicks the ball with tremendous skill. A prolific ball-winner with clean hands who will bolster the club’s emerging group of tall players. Performed well in a number of tests at last year’s National AFL Draft Camp, including the five-metre sprint and three-kilometre time trial.
Draft history: 2003 National AFL Draft 1st round selection (Fremantle) No. 12 overall. 

They were quite excited about Murphy last year after he did a good job on a couple of Adelaide forwards including Carey in a practice game last year. Not sure how he developed during the year though.