AFL article on Ben Holland.. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL article on Ben Holland..

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Holland brothers OK so far
Fri 25 April, 2003
Jordan Chong
afl.com.au

The Holland brothers have emerged unscathed from a VFL match on Friday as both players – Hawk Nick and Tiger Ben – return to footy after their respective injuries.

While the ‘battle of the brothers’ didn’t eventuate, their injury-free report was welcome news for Hawthorn and Richmond as the brothers ready for a return to senior action.

They played in the Box Hill Hawks-Coburg Tigers match and it was Nick’s first game since injuring his calf during the pre-season. For Ben, the match was just his second since rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee little more than a year ago, having played in the Coburg reserves last week.

Lining up for the Hawks, Nick played the first 25 minutes of the opening three quarters out at full-forward and kicked 1.1. He then spent the final term in defence picking up Richmond’s Royce Vardy.

Ben Holland played the whole match at centre-half back for the Tigers and was one of the team’s few shining lights, restricting his direct opponent Michael Georgiadis to only a single major as the Hawks ran out easy winners by 63 points.

After the match, Nick Holland said he felt good but thought he was still a few weeks away from full match fitness.

“I was pleased that I got through. My body actually feels fantastic. It was good to get a bit of touch back and get through the game,” Nick said.

“I think it will probably be two or three weeks before you’re fully fit and fired and you’ve basically got your touch back and reading the play.”

Box Hill coach Tony Liberatore was relieved Nick came through the match without injuring himself, describing his performance as ‘honest’ and ‘nothing spectacular’.

Ben Holland believed he needed another run with Coburg next week but was hopeful of a return to the senior line-up after that, reporting only general soreness to his body due to a lack of match practice.

Several times during the course of the match, Ben backed into an oncoming pack and took courageous overhead marks.

“That’s what the idea is at senior level. To pick up the centre-half forward and then block up the space for the leading full-forward. Just to be able to do that three of four times today has really given me enormous confidence,” Ben said.

Aside from a few minutes, the brothers didn’t play on each other with Ben content to sit out at centre-half back while Nick led from the goal square.

“It was good to be able to run around and play my own game and not have to worry about picking up Nick,” he added.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Ben Holland believed he needed another run with Coburg next week but was hopeful of a return to the senior line-up after that, reporting only general soreness to his body due to a lack of match practice.

Good to see Dutchy will be back in a few weeks :). Looks like it'll be either against Essendon or Melbourne.