AGM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AGM

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
AGM date confirmed 10/12/18 @5.30 pm

2 Directors Henriette Rothschild and Mark Ward are up for re-elections

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-10-26/134th-annual-general-meeting

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
taztiger4 said:
AGM date confirmed 10/12/18 @5.30 pm

2 Directors Henriette Rothschild and Mark Ward are up for re-elections

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-10-26/134th-annual-general-meeting

Were they ever elected in the first place or appointed due to a managed vacancy?

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
22nd Man said:
Were they ever elected in the first place or appointed due to a managed vacancy?

The board do not tell the members in any detail what is going on with board replacements (a clearer term than appointed which has two meanings)
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-02-28/rothschild-and-powell-join-richmond-board
They do not say who replaced who in regards to term duration so this makes it harder for members to decide who they will challenge.

If you work it back you can see that after last years elections Powell was elected unopposed to his seat after he replaced Free in February 2018, who resigned in November 2016 and was due for election in 2017.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-16/former-tigers-captain-tony-free-steps-down-as-director

Thus Rothschild replaced Chadwick who was due for election this year but resigned in January 2107.
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-01-16/chadwick-stands-down

Mark Ward replaced O'Shannassey in January this year and that term finished this year so he is due for (re)election.
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-01-19/mark-ward-joins-richmond-board

In answer to your question nobody on the board has been elected to the board since Chadwick was the last.

Due to the amendments to the constitution passed by members in regards to term limits, Powell started his tenure last year while Rothschild and Ward, if elected unopposed as seems likely, will begin their first term after the AGM.
This despite them being on the board since February 2017 (Powell and Rothschild) and January 2018 (Ward).

According to the AGM notice only Rothschild and Ward are up for election so Dalton was the "appointed director" due this year.
It seems highly likely, after speaking to him last year, that Dalton is highly unlikely to seek another term on the board ( I think also that he is serving his second term as an "appointed" director and thus cannot get another).

So it would seem that there will be another director "appointed" after this years AGM and that may be announced at some time in the future.

From re-reading those articles it seems that the Nominations Committee does their usual vetting process and provides names to the board for replacement or appointment vacancies.

For those interested the board directors next year are Ryan, Dunne and O'Neal (appointed).
Ryan replaced March in October 2013. She was then elected in 2013 and 2016.
Dunne replaced Matthies in August 2016. He was elected in 2016
O'Neal replaced Clinton Casey in November 2005. She was then elected in 2007 and 2010 and "appointed" in 2013 and 2017. She will resign from the board by 2019 (maybe).

Sorry about the long-windedness of this post but it's the only way members will know what is happening with their club's board.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Board stuck fat despite all the howls of spill and sack the coach and won us a premiership. They get my vote.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Sydney resident so unable to attend but would like the recent award/renewal of pokie licences raised. Stain I'd like to wash away.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
marella jube said:
Sydney resident so unable to attend but would like the recent award/renewal of pokie licences raised. Stain I'd like to wash away.

As I outlined in this post after the 2017 AGM, Stephen Mayne spoke very strongly against pokies.
Mayne is a lobbyist for the Alliance for Gambling Reform, a Melbourne City Councillor and is/was a shareholder activist. Very prolific on social media. just google.

RedanTiger said:
As an aside I was talking to Stephen Mayne who was there to push an anti-pokies agenda and he said (paraphrasing) that as head of the Shareholder group he no longer puts any time into member resolutions but rather tries to change things by getting onto boards. Got the impression that member resolutions can be so delayed or diluted as to be pointless.

It was interesting to note that both Dalton and O'Shannassy have indicated they will not stand for re-election next year.
Will the board do their usual thing and rig early resignations and give their choices the advantage of incumbency?
I personally hope that the two excellent candidates (IMO) from last year stand next year.

As said in previous post, O'Shannassy resigned in January and Dalton is due this year but has not nominated so is resigning.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The Big Richo said:
We might have 3 if they'd listened............ ;D

Or at least 2. Can you imagine if that fof mob had got in? We'd be voting to relocate the club to Tassir just to get rid of the board.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Baloo said:
Board stuck fat despite all the howls of spill and sack the coach and won us a premiership. They get my vote.
Most of the "howls of spill and sack the coach" was generated by the media about two groups (Focus on Footy and the "Malvern Hotel group") who asked to be granted board seats by the board.
In the end only two candidates stood for actual election as board directors, Wallace and Casey. Both were independent candidates unaligned with the protest groups.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
$4.2M profit this year :)

On behalf of the board and management I have great pleasure in presenting the financial report of the Club for the year ended 31 October 2018.

Financial Results

The Club has reported a net profit of $4,210,003 for the year ended 31 October 2018 (2017: $3,063,298).

Our cash balance continues to be strong at $13,710,013 and has increased by $3,828,485 from 31 October 2017. Our key balance sheet measure, free cash (accounts for short term liabilities) reflects a $11.521 million surplus, and the Club continues to remain free of any external debt, indicating a very strong financial position.

In 2018 we achieved record levels of sponsorship, membership and match day revenues. Our members and supporters should be very proud in the very significant contribution they make to our Club.

Following the launch of Aligned Leisure in 2016, our health and fitness business continues to meet our financial and logistical expectations. We have now established a very strong platform for the future. As referred to in the President’s Report, we have recently added two further contracts to our operation being Albury / Wodonga and Mildura. This venture continues to provide links with the community, assisting with further growth in membership numbers, providing additional corporate partnerships and facilitating additional non-traditional revenues. The board and management are excited about the opportunity to expand and grow this non-football part of our business in the short, medium and long term.

Financial Position

At a time where the focus on debt levels across the AFL clubs has increased, the Club remains debt free and holds significant cash reserves.

As at 31 October 2018:

* The Club has a net asset position of $31,364,372 (2017: $27,154,369). In 2005 our financial statements reflected a net asset deficiency of $704,000. The board remains resolute in continuing to build a liquid asset base and to forever protect the Club from entering into an operating debt position in the future.

* It is also important to note that our short term payables and creditors continue to be covered by our liquid assets such as cash and receivables, demonstrating that our working capital management is strong.

I would like to acknowledge the dedication of our finance team comprising Michael Stahl, Shannon Gordon, Hayley Lacy, Angela Booth, Dom La Fontaine, Wendy Plowman, Marcus Wright, and Sam Thiele who continue to uphold the highest of standards in the operation of a financial function. I would also like to acknowledge the selflessness of Tina De Young, Luke Littlefield, Catherine Friday and Ian Lancaster who continue to dedicate significant time in making an out standing contribution to our finance, audit and risk functions.

To John O’Donoghue, Nic Cox and the PwC team, thank you for again providing us with outstanding services and guidance on the complexities of Accounting Standards and Corporations Act requirements. We value the contribution and honesty that PwC brings to our organisation.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who continues to contribute to our Club through membership, merchandise, sponsorships, donations, coterie packages, and corporate hospitality offerings. We look forward to continuing the journey together as we strive to maximise this period of sustained success.

Rob Dalton
Financial Director

Source: Richmond FC 2018 Concise Financial Report

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
A couple of interesting comments at the AGM that confirmed what we as supporters already knew, 'it is us vs the AFL':

I'll paraphrase as cannot quote word for word:

1) Rob Dalton, the outgoing Vice President and Chair of the Finance Committee, when commenting on our strong financial position urged members not to get complacent, continue to attend games buy memberships and merchandise, we are a juggernaut and that The AFL is already "CONCERNED" about the power we are becoming!

2) Peggy O'Neal : When discussing the lack of a Re-Development Grant funding from the AFL/Gov't package and I think also being snubbed in the inaugural and 2nd AFLW intakes said:

We are learning not to rely on any favors from the AFL and will tread our own path!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I think Benny is nearly ready to takeover from Gil who was just keeping the seat warm.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
caesar said:
A couple of interesting comments at the AGM that confirmed what we as supporters already knew, 'it is us vs the AFL':

1) Rob Dalton, the outgoing Vice President and Chair of the Finance Committee, when commenting on our strong financial position urged members not to get complacent, continue to attend games buy memberships and merchandise, we are a juggernaut and that The AFL is already "CONCERNED" about the power we are becoming!

2) Peggy O'Neal : When discussing the lack of a Re-Development Grant funding from the AFL/Gov't package and I think also being snubbed in the inaugural and 2nd AFLW intakes said:

We are learning not to rely on any favors from the AFL and will tread our own path!

Interesting . . . and revealing.

DS

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
It's a really interesting comment, "the AFL is concerned about us", but do everything they can to assist Collingscum. They get really well looked after by the AFL & the Goverments ( Federal & State).

EG: Sum central that was formerly Olympic Park, look at how Athletics Vic. We're kicked off to South Melbourne so that Scumwood could take over their Precinct & at who's cost, certainly not theirs.
Plus they were allowed to take over the Ponsford Stand when they became tenants at the MCG, we had been tenants at the G since 1964 & were NEVER allowed that sort of concession.

"Smile" the AFL & the various Goverments that have gifted these amenities to those bunch of moccasin wearing, teeth deprived, bottom feeding, feral, colourless (black & white aren't colours) lowlife bogans. ;)

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
caesar said:

I wonder why the AFL would be concerned about a successful Richmond?
No doubt because our success is a threat to their wishes to expand the franchi$e.
They clearly think we are suckers & will roll up forever but we are not a growth market.
Precisely why they aren't looking to help us with our much needed, rapidly expanding facilities. :blah

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I think they are not so much worried about our dominance but more about the equality of the comp and the lesser Melbourne clubs (and Suns and GWS to a lesser extent).

Would be a warped competition if say Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn/Essendon dominated for the next 10 years, along with Eagles and Crows. It would certainly create a comp of haves and have nots.

I don't think it is a reason to hate the AFL, however it does emphasise that we need to be professionally ruthless and use this period of success wisely to position us as a Victorian/AFL powerhouse for the next 25 years. If we won't, someone else will. Great that we are now a destination club and players are raving about the environment. That is a core piece of the puzzle.