Alcohol Tax !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alcohol Tax !!

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Timed this was reined in just getting out of hand. A pint of beer now $15.00. You would think Dutton & Co would have something to say on this !!

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It's linked to the CPI rate.
Smartest move that Governments have ever made. Instead of actually having a meeting every few years to find a way to increase revenue and officially raise the tax on booze, lung busters, infringement fines etc. They simply linked a whole lot of these things to the CPI rate and let the rivers of cash flow

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Cost of gin, $70. 28 is tax, plus GST.

The government in the same week sprouts tax cuts, increasing booze tax, keeps petrol excise and then somehow doesn’t intervene as the Maratime Union gets a four 23.5% (spread four years) increase that will increase the cost of goods.

Its wiggles tax cuts, “ dont look over there.”

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Cost of gin, $70. 28 is tax, plus GST.

The government in the same week sprouts tax cuts, increasing booze tax, keeps petrol excise and then somehow doesn’t intervene as the Maratime Union gets a four 23.5% (spread four years) increase that will increase the cost of goods.

Its wiggles tax cuts, “ dont look over there.”
The Maritime Union are a disgrace. The biggest bunch of thugs/crooks/standover merchants. A closed shop. Other than corporate CEO's the most overpaid "workers" on the planet.

Hold a country to ransom.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I wonder if the tax earned from alcohol covers the alcohol related costs in the areas of health, welfare, etc

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
“The government is aware the cost of living is impacting everyone and making it difficult to make ends meet” We’ll give you some tax cuts.
But then levies, excises and duties all increase. Governments will still get a huge slice and even more back.

Gas, electricity, fuel etc are all everyday necessities. Major corporations are price gouging us all every hour of the day.
Governments take their cut of taxes, excises, levies, royalties etc.
How fair dinkum are they? What is the ACCC doing?

They take everyday Australians for fools. Give a sprinkle of magic dust and then squeeze that and more back.
Down with the royals, Viva la revolution, bring in the republic (or even a benevolent dictatorship)

Government for the people, by the people.
Not people buy the government. And the rest of us suffer.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I would vote for any party that promises to remove the exile on alcohol..........even Dutton.......maybe......:vomit

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I wonder if the tax earned from alcohol covers the alcohol related costs in the areas of health, welfare, etc
Gone up 74 times since 1985ish. And goes again on Monday. Why not just put it on hold for 12 months?

Would be the most popular thing a PM could do. Doesn’t reduce the tax revenue just holds it.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Some useful information here

In brief in 2021-2022 the Government reaped $8 billion in alcohol taxes
. Australian Dept of Health Study estimated the cost of alcohol attributable harm conservatively at $66.8 billion
Tangible costs at $18.2 billion and intangible costs at $48.6 billion. Whatever that means.

Intangible costs might mean what the politicians drink and paid for by the taxpayer. :giggle:
*edit -typo

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Gone up 74 times since 1985ish. And goes again on Monday. Why not just put it on hold for 12 months?

Would be the most popular thing a PM could do. Doesn’t reduce the tax revenue just holds it.
What does your answer have to do with my question?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Some usual information here

In brief in 2021-2022 the Government reaped $8 billion in alcohol taxes
. Australian Dept of Health Study estimated the cost of alcohol attributable harm conservatively at $66.8 billion
Tangible costs at $18.2 billion and intangible costs at $48.6 billion. Whatever that means.

Intangible costs might mean what the politicians drink and paid for by the taxpayer. :giggle:
There you go. Making the case to further increase alcohol taxes.

• Sad

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
There you go. Making the case to further increase alcohol taxes.
Maybe there should be government stores where only they can sell and limit your alcohol intake :giggle: like the old NSW Rum Corps

That way the government saves on health costs, still collects taxes and then they can slowly reduce the taxes as health costs decrease.

I’m sure someone in government will pick this idea up. 🥇
When it’s introduced you an all thank me later 🍺🍻🥂🍷🥃

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I actually have no problem with an alcohol tax, in principle.

If you have to tax anything it makes sense to tax something that is entirely optional and really bad for you.

In practice though, *smile* paying 25 bucks for a 4 pack of tinnies.