Shutdown this thread? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Shutdown this thread?

Shutdown the thread

• Yes - leave the politics and religion to other social media platforms

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • No - keep open

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Due to many reports this thread poses more problems for PRE as a website and as a community.

So I propose a vote, which will be open for 7 days before the result is actioned.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah shutdown. Have to admit, I'm getting sick of the political bickering on here. This is a footy forum, stick to that.

Reactions: 6 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
During the season it's not as busy. Off season it gets more traction.

The issue you may have if you close down the RACE, RELIGION & POLITICS area, posts that go there now will end up appearing across all the other areas. People won't stop commenting and posting on this stuff just because the sub-forum has gone.

Reactions: 8 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Keep open, if people don't want to read then they don't have to and as Baloo said it will creep into other threads.

Reactions: 6 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
There is always the ignore thread option if people don't wish to be bothered by this or any thread for that matter.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
While we're at it, can any mod kill that Liam McBean thread? Thanks.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If you kill the McBean thread, on the third day it will rise again

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Due to many reports this thread poses more problems for PRE as a website and as a community.

So I propose a vote, which will be open for 7 days before the result is actioned.
What are the problems and what are the possible solutions?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

If they’re creating too much work for you then shut them down. It’s only the same old tired voices (who all think they’re the smartest person in the room) complaining about the same old topics…every day. There’s plenty of other non footy social media options they can post their incredibly objective and insightful opinions on.

Reactions: 5 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
If they’re creating too much work for you then shut them down. It’s only the same old tired voices (who all think they’re the smartest person in the room) complaining about the same old topics…every day. There’s plenty of other non footy social media options they can post their incredibly objective and insightful opinions on.
Thanks for your incredibly objective and insightful comments.

I have learned a lot on it and also learned a lot about humans on it but if those who control the site want to take it off by all means do so. I would however suggest that if that is done then political statements on footy threads should be stamped down on when they occur

I would add that one of the reasons I post on it is that I can’t deal with the toxicity of places like Twitter which is far worse than anything I have seen on here

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks for your incredibly objective and insightful comments.

I have learned a lot on it and also learned a lot about humans on it but if those who control the site want to take it off by all means do so. I would however suggest that if that is done then political statements on footy threads should be stamped down on when they occur

I would add that one of the reasons I post on it is that I can’t deal with the toxicity of places like Twitter which is far worse than anything I have seen on here
Same. It's extremely educational and like all things, you just need to work out which voices to listen to.

Nobody has to open it and if posters upset you put them on ignore.

If it represents too much work for the administrators or a legal threat that's a different story.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm not really fussed either way but as others have said I'd hate to see these views creep into other parts of the forum.

It very clearly states enter at your own risk & the ignore function is an option. Nobody is forcing anyone to be there.

For those reasons I'd probably keep it despite it's flaws.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Voted to keep it open.

I just ignore the old racists and nazis

Same as i do in pubs

I find these board a really valuable resource to get up to speed on the nuance of big issues i dont understand.

E.g i dont really understand what zionism is and a quick read of trusted smart posters take, and i feel up to speed.

Id go so far as to say PRE RRP thread is a trusted, primary news source for me.

Plus i agree with other posted that shutting
It down will likely spill it onto footy boards

At the moment, it ring fences the looneys to a
Large degree.

As an aside, i'd put money that its libertarian free speech'ers that would prefer it shut down.

LNP, champions of free speech, have enough frequent defamation points to fly to the moon and back 20 times

Having said all that, id be ok with the admin's decision. Id understand if they didnt want thw grief.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users