Andrew Demetriou | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Demetriou

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
is it time for vlad to move on? most would agree that he has done a brilliant job over the years, but some of his latest ideas or opinions have been either very stubborn, egotistic or just plain senile. some examples are:
- saying "tanking does not exist"
- being stubborn over the west sydney franchise... is he the only person in melbourne who thinks this will work?
- the 3 strikes drugs policy (although i believe this was origially Adrian Anderson baby?)
- threatening to stop the AC/DC concerts

i don't claim to be an expert in the corporate world, but is there a time in this industry where you've overstayed your welcome? is it time for vlad to move on? this west sydney thing really concerns me... i fear it's gonna be a huge disaster and i reckon he is only pushing this so quickly to boost his ego... he wants this to be his legacy.
i'm also concerned about the draft concessions GC17 is gonna receive... they are way too generous and i reckon we need voice our concerns over it.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Everyone but the corporate fat cat knows tanking exists, Dimi actually knows it's happening but if he admits it exists he'll blow a hole in the T.V. and advertising rights etc.
No choice but to keep expanding into Qld and NSW before stretching things into Tas and N.T. must create a truly full scale national comp.
Three strikes doesn't concern me. Drugs are rife in society so would rather see players guided through the pitfalls instead of just trashed out of the system.
About time the AFL tweaked the owner / managers of the dumps goolies.
They've been shafting the AFL as their core tennant since the place opened.
Dimi and the boys have found an opening and grabbed the plums, hope they hang on and squeeze like hell.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
The AFL have the upper hand is this concert dispute & they are using this to their advantage.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
TigerMasochist said:
Three strikes doesn't concern me. Drugs are rife in society so would rather see players guided through the pitfalls instead of just trashed out of the system.

well i just made the call. most ppl dont like the 3 strikes rule. i dont like it, but my reasons differ from most. i dont believe the afl has the right to test for illicit drugs. imo, they should only have the right to test for performance enhancing drugs. of course, some performance enhancing drugs are mutually exclusive with illicit drugs...

PBoRSM

How many kids do I have??
Jun 11, 2004
Is there a more deluded man?

Talking footy tonight- Wayne Carey says, "All the public want is for the MRP or the AFL to say 'we got it wrong'"

To which Mr Demetriou replies, "We'll do that; as soon as we get one wrong."

He truly is a dictator. Despite overwhelming evidence of fact as well as unanimous opinion, he simply refuses to consider any other view other than his own.

Interesting TV, but only for its sheer arrogance.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Carey said the Martin needs a role model!
Does Carey still have his?

• Haha

Tygrys

Tiger Superstar
Apr 25, 2004
Carey of all people trying to shame Demetriou is laughable. Amazed that violent slimy thug is even on tv.

• Haha

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Tygrys said:
Carey of all people trying to shame Demetriou is laughable. Amazed that violent slimy thug is even on tv.

Which one, demetriou or carey?
No seriously, I watched the show for the first time last night (only to see if there was any more news on Dustin) and was nearly ill when Carey spoke about Dustin's off field issues. Pot - kettle - mean nothing to you Wang. Why channel 7 would have him on their network just astounds me.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
Demetrious trying to defend that ANZ stadium was a joke. Change your boots he says. What carry a second pair around with you on the ground and change them for differing parts of the ground? That wing where the stand was players couldn't stand up still let alone run ont eh damn thing.

Silent Bob

Tiger Superstar
Nov 7, 2003
GoodOne said:
Demetrious trying to defend that ANZ stadium was a joke.
Agreed. Watching this egotistical, megalomaniac, narcissistic flog trying to defend that woeful ground was painful. Blamed everyone except the ground.

puregreen

Tiger Champion
Dec 6, 2009
It's going to sound like I'm defending Vlad, but I reckon just about all of his answers sound like they have been checked by the lawyers - I don't think he can come out and say the surface wasn't any good because they might get sued over the ground causing player's injuries.

That was why Melbourne didn't get done for tanking, because the Dees lawyers would have taken them to court if they had have been.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
we have friends who do the turf at anz stadium. as soon as an afl game is over they remove all the turf from the wings for rugby to be held there. the turf is then replaced for afl games. you can clearly see the lines showing where it's been done. t's not a good, even surface.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
GoodOne said:
Demetrious trying to defend that ANZ stadium was a joke. Change your boots he says. What carry a second pair around with you on the ground and change them for differing parts of the ground? That wing where the stand was players couldn't stand up still let alone run ont eh damn thing.
Only saw the second half, saw a few players slippin n slidin. Wonder how many players wore slippers with short studs instead of allowing for the longer damp grass creating a slippery surface?
Pretty sure Yarran changed boots late in the third or early in the last 'coz he got tired of falling over. How many times did McVeigh fall over his own feet? I heard he was pretty busy on the night.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
TigerMasochist said:
Only saw the second half, saw a few players slippin n slidin. Wonder how many players wore slippers with short studs instead of allowing for the longer damp grass creating a slippery surface?
Pretty sure Yarran changed boots late in the third or early in the last 'coz he got tired of falling over. How many times did McVeigh fall over his own feet? I heard he was pretty busy on the night.

It's the unevenness and shifting of the ground that causes the problems. In that case it is impossible to choose the correct footwear for the conditions. At times it looked like players were walking on ice. Yarran clearly had more problems than others (muy guess is he was wearing short stops) but I counted at least a dozen times different players fell over in basically the same spot even running a straight line. It's Demetriou's defense that I don't understand. It was clearly a problem but Demetriou insists there was nothing wrong and tried to put it back on the players.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
rosy23 said:
we have friends who do the turf at anz stadium. as soon as an afl game is over they remove all the turf from the wings for rugby to be held there. the turf is then replaced for afl games. you can clearly see the lines showing where it's been done. t's not a good, even surface.

That's what it looked like to me when I was watching.
Looks like the roll that part of the turf out when needed.

AFL should stick with the SCG.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Has dropped all charges against Doc Reid. If the clubs weren't all on the gravy train, they'd move a motion of no confidence over Demetriou's shocking performance.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Has dropped all charges against Doc Reid. If the clubs weren't all on the gravy train, they'd move a motion of no confidence over Demetriou's shocking performance.

Maybe, but I reckon the Doc has suffered a fair bit by way of having his reputation ruined. No need to keep kicking someone when he is already down. Especially as he can't be far from retirement.