Animal Welfare | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Animal Welfare

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Ok,

Since I copped a bit of ridicule in the capital punishments thread over some of my comparisons between how we as humans treat animals and how we treat other humans, I thought it was time to start a thread dedicated to animal welfare just to see if humans are actually humane.

To start things off, live sheep exports.

http://www.liveexportshame.com/impossible_match.htm

Personally, I think that Australia is miles behind New Zealand when it comes to having it's own mind (on many issues, not just this one) and will do anything for the mighty dollar.

IMO, live exports should be stopped.

mexican_radio

*fix the midfield*
Feb 12, 2005
South of the Border
On the topic of animal welfare and with strong links to the RFC
http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=48733

sorry for going off the original topic. I throw in a vote to ban live sheep exports, it's way overdue.

KiwiTig

Tiger Superstar
Dec 27, 2007
Williamstown
Makes me proud to be a kiwi when NZ does the right thing and not bow to pressure from others.

I work in Fremantle and really get a feel for the amount of live exports that occur. A major tourist destination stinks when these ships are loading - as does the practice.

Trade in meat is important to both NZ and Aust. But doing it this way is just not right.....

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
I also get pretty upset at this time of year when the animal shelters report record numbers of cats and dogs being dumped at their doors.

A pet is for life, not just for Xmas!

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
No issue with live animal exports in principle, just the lax regulations that allow current poor transportation methods. If buyers want to pay more for live livestock, fine, let them pay a premium for decent transportation too.

As for the pets, I am a big fan of mandatory desexing of all pets for non-licenced breeders. I also think its too easy to get a pet. Should be a mandatory cooling off period before you can pick up the pet.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
It's probably impossible to regulate transportation methods once the ships leave Australian waters. It's not just transportation though, it how they are treated at their destinations as well.

http://www.islamicconcern.com/halalmeat_problem05.asp

Stuff em'. If they want live meat, let them raise their own.

As for pets, I don't believe that live animals, particularly cats and dogs, should be allowed to be sold at pet stores.
If you truly want a pet cat or dog, you should be made to purchase one directly through a licensed breeder and wait until one is bred for you. Those who truly want the pet will wait.
ALL animals born at breeders should be micro chipped and breeders should be liable for the welfare of all animals born under their control.

Once each animal is sold, it's welfare should become the responsibility of each subsequent owner.

People need to realize that every time they pass a pet store and see live animals on display, these animals are on death row. What do you think happens if these animals are not sold?

Unfortunately, the problem is not introducing new laws, it is enforcing laws.

mopsy fraser

EAT 'EM ALIVE!
May 10, 2006
geelong
KiwiTig said:
Makes me proud to be a kiwi when NZ does the right thing and not bow to pressure from others.

I work in Fremantle and really get a feel for the amount of live exports that occur. A major tourist destination stinks when these ships are loading - as does the practice.

Trade in meat is important to both NZ and Aust. But doing it this way is just not right.....
new zealand have always had greater love and affection for live sheep than australia. ;D

by treating sheep inhumanely is against the teachings of the prophet,therefore the meat is not halal.
their disgusting treatment on the trucks going to port,then on the ships, and then the hideous way they are treated when they get to their destination,say egypt for example, is barbaric.

Following are extracts of what occurs at Bassatin slaughterhouse, just outside Cairo [N.B. Dr Sidholm's reports were presented to industry and government in 2001]:

‘A group of four or five cattle is driven onto the landing, where the slaughter men spread themselves around the huddled animals and begin to cut more tendons on the front and the hind legs. …The affected animal then attempts to hobble in the opposite direction where another slaughterman waits to strike. The knee and elbow joints are also targeted for destruction and the eyes knocked or stabbed out’.

Dr Petra Sidholm, the author of this eye-witness account explains that the Egyptian slaughtermen are afraid of the larger Australian cattle, and strike out to disable the cattle prior to forcing them to the slaughter hall.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
1eyedtiger said:
Ok,

Since I copped a bit of ridicule in the capital punishments thread over some of my comparisons between how we as humans treat animals and how we treat other humans, I thought it was time to start a thread dedicated to animal welfare just to see if humans are actually humane.

People who torture or kill animals, such as this:

RSPCA investigating pet cat torture
December 12, 2007 12:00am
POLICE and the RSPCA are investigating a horrific case of animal torture. Bullet, a 12-month-old cat, was set alight after being snatched in Berwick.
Distraught owner Kate Arnol said the animal was found over the weekend and taken to a vet where he was put down.
Ms Arnol said she was shocked to be told by the vet that her pet might have been sexually assaulted.
Hallam Animal Emergency Centre senior vet Joanne Gill said the pet was found with a dislocated tail and burns.
The RSPCA said the case was a gross example of animal cruelty, which could attract penalties of 12 months in jail or a $12,000 fine.

I wonder how many of these perps get the $12,000 fine and 12 months jail?
It should be a public whipping in Fed Square, if you ask me.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
What would you do to a 'perp' who did this sort of thing but who was mentally disabled?

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Six Pack said:
What would you do to a 'perp' who did this sort of thing but who was mentally disabled?

They get to be medicated and get sent to serious demented places that make Port Phillip look like a holiday farm. I still cannot believe people think pleading insanity is a nice way to dodge hard time :-\

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
Tiger74 said:
They get to be medicated and get sent to serious demented places that make Port Phillip look like a holiday farm. I still cannot believe people think pleading insanity is a nice way to dodge hard time :-\

I'm not looking for an easy excuse, I just wonder what Livers thinks of a 'perp' who is mentally disabled who does this sort of thing.

Tiger74

Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Six Pack said:
I'm not looking for an easy excuse, I just wonder what Livers thinks of a 'perp' who is mentally disabled who does this sort of thing.

I know, my point was that they would be helped, but the help is far from gentle. Could you imagine one of those joints at night? I reckon if you weren't batty on the way in....

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Six Pack said:

Someone mentally disabled so bad that they are doing this to a kitten could so easily do the same to a human baby next time.
That should be even more of a concern to lock them up for longer than 12 months......do you agree?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
The case of the tortured cat is the sort that would attract police attention. It's an indicator. It's very possible that a human will be on the agenda at some stage.

Not sure what to do with the perp. Dislocating their tailbone and setting them alight is not the answer. And flogging seems in the same vein to me if of a much lesser degree.

I suppose it's a justice issue but maybe it's a medical one to.

Anyways, on the animal welfare ethics issue, I'm coming around to the idea that vivisection and torture of chimps and the like is morally wrong. And this idea stirs the coals of doubts about the torture of mammals in general. And the way to humanely kill them.

And I'm beginning to have reservations about the scale of animal slaughter. I really don't have a firm position on this but it troubles me ATM.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007
I heard Peter Singer speak on this issue last year.

His basic position on vegetarianism is that if we choose to eat meat we are putting our own enjoyment above that of the pain and suffering of the animal.