The cruel reality of politics for Garrett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The cruel reality of politics for Garrett

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Yes, after enthralling a generation of young Australians to consider:

1. Aboriginal reconcilliation,
2. US Foreign policy,
3. Nuclear power & arms, et al, Peter Garrett is now the Minister for Binning the Plastic Bag.

What a cruel lesson in party politics?
How much further can Peter Garrett fall, from national icon to Labour Party fall-guy?

Garrett Serious About Binning The Bag.
January 10, 2008

FEDERAL Environment Minister Peter Garrett says he is "confident" the phasing out of plastic bags will not disadvantage consumers.

Mr Garrett is working with the state governments to formulate a strategy for weaning Australia off its dependence on plastic bags.

more
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23031853-601,00.html

Poor fella.
And he wanted to lead Australian society to a new future.
Do I feel sorry for him?

Ha!!! :rofl

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
I bet the companies that make the plastic bin-tidy bags are rubbing their hands with glee about this....as people will resort to buying their bags to put their rubbish in instead of just recycling the old supermarket bags.

B1 and B2

Richo & The Twins
Mar 6, 2007
Phantom said:
How much further can Peter Garrett fall, from national icon to Labour Party fall-guy?

He may have to start his own Oils tribute band to fill in time.

Can't see having seminars with state pollies about plastic bags will take up too much time.

B1

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
This is actually being reported slightly differently in China. Its being said that Australia is catching up to China who has already announced their ban.

geoffryprettyboy

Tiger Legend
Apr 8, 2004
It could force the companies to produce a bio-degradable plastic bag that deteriorates at a much quicker rate. The company that develops this bag the quickest may reap the benefits first.

Other changes to our products in the past have included the modification of the ring-pull on cans and the plastic type holders on six-pack beer cans.

Having said that Peter was a legend in Midnight Oil, but as a politician, I'll keep that to myself.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
TigerGoneNorth said:

A year or so ago, a report (not sure which program) on his privately managed super fund. He has many shares in coal mines. He refused to comment. So much for his 'greenie' mantra.
As a politician in his earlier career for the NDP, 'Yanks out of Pine Gap' was a common cry back then. Now as an ALP minister, not a peep.

They are the two biggest ones that stick in my mind. I'm preety sure there are more and will try to remember them, but it's going to be a long hot day at work and probably won't have computer over the weekend. But will try.

I guess he's just a typical pollie though :)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I heard a discussion on this topic on 3LO yesterday. I don't know the facts but I'll try and remember some of the comments.

Plastic bags are made from a by-product of petroleum production which would have to be burnt or disposed of in another way if placcy bags are banned, possibly having a massive environmental impact.

Shop keepers have to provide a bag, or some protection, for their sales if they won't accept returns of soiled goods.

If plastic bags are replaced with paper it would mean more trees need to be chopped down.

Many supermarkets recycle their cardboard boxes where they once used to pack groceries in them. Bring it back.

A lot of people recycle plastic bags as rubbish bags and if they were banned would then buy plastic bags for the same purpose.

Education is important, especially the impact when animals are harmed by them not being disposed of properly. Print messages on the bags to make people aware.

Charge a small, refundable surcharge so people are more likely to re-use them. (Anyone else remember collecting and cashing in bottles :eek:ld)

Biodegradable bags might be a better option.

Peter Garrett is known as a token environmental minister by those close to the department and the Arts has been tacked on to that portfolio because that's really where he's of more benefit.

I agree with Legends that he comes across as a hypocrite. Either that or the leopard has changed his spots to blend in with his new environment.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
Biodegradable is a better option, and I think I read somewhere they are available (but they were a few cents more expensive which is why they are not used).

JFYI there is something too called the packaging covernant, where companies who sign on are supposed to get rid of unnecessary packaging to minimize waste. GPB mentioned a couple of good examples, and another one is remember the black plastic base on plastic soft drink bottles? Absolutely useless, and didn't support the product any better so why use it.

Haven't heard though what can be used in place of plastic bags. has this been mentioned yet?

ssstone

the mongrel plumber,and the heir apparent
Aug 11, 2006
ararat
the irony in this debate is that china has a invested intrest in ridding the world of plastic bags as they produce nearly all of the calico bags that the peasants believe are more green than plastic bags... 95% of the calico bags in use in aus dont break down and take 3 times the petro chemicals to produce than plastic bags.now lets talk about disposable nappies?

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
But if you use the same calico bags to do 1000 shops as opposed to getting plastic bags each time, the 3 times more whatevers it takes kind of pales somewhat doesn't it?

ssstone

the mongrel plumber,and the heir apparent
Aug 11, 2006
ararat
Disco08 said:
But if you use the same calico bags to do 1000 shops as opposed to getting plastic bags each time, the 3 times more whatevers it takes kind of pales somewhat doesn't it?
1000 shops would equate to 10+ years of shopping.. if you really think that people will not buy new ones in this time frame you should get a job with any states labour partys spin doctors...plastic bags have been bio degradeable for the last ten + years now ... go and place one under soil under a tree and see for yourself.chinese calico bags are not.. oh the irony.