Another side of the TJ saga | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Another side of the TJ saga

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
This snippet is from Palmer's punchlines in the Sunday HeraldSun.
I wouldn't have a clue if it's true or not, but thought it worthy of posting seeing TJ has copped a fair spray over not sending out flyers for the election.

A Tiger's tale of woe

Beaten Richmond board candidate Tony Jewell is fuming-and who can blame him? The man, who has given the best part of 40 years to the Tigers, said he told the club he was retiring. But his name went into the ballot papers (without any accompanying message for the members) and, of course, he suffered the back lash.
"They would have thought I was a bighead," he said.

Funny how this only comes out AFTER the results are in.

TJ had ample opportunity to plead his case before the votes were counted but chose to remain silent. I for one don't buy his side of the story.

Anyone nominating for the board (including "incumbent" board members) has to have a specific nomination form from the club signed by an eligible member as a nominee, as well as another as a seconder, and then sign it themselves.

If T.J. didn't want to run, he shouldn't have nominated - if he didn't actually nominate then there are some serious questions to be asked.

David Clayton said:
Anyone nominating for the board (including "incumbent" board members) has to have a specific nomination form from the club signed by an eligible member as a nominee, as well as another as a seconder, and then sign it themselves.

If T.J. didn't want to run, he shouldn't have nominated - if he didn't actually nominate then there are some serious questions to be asked.

That's the first thing I thought when I read that. Then I remembered
that it was Scott Palmer ... been known to get things slightly wrong
and stir things up sometimes ;)

And just to keep everyone informed, I contacted the club and they confirmed that Tony had in fact filled in a nomination form (otherwise "he wouldn't have been in the election").

They have promised that they will get back to me after they check into the situation and TJ's reported comments.

David C said:

Perhaps he was forced & signed with great reluctance only after much mention was made that his not nominating would be disloyal to the Tigers etc etc.......?

Personally, I really had the impression throughout the election campaign that TJ was not keen to continue on the Board and I think other members must have felt the same.

Hence, his loss of position.

Jewell's been a wonderful servant of the Club &, as our last premiership coach, deserves everyone's respect.

I think it such a shame that he appears to have become yet another Richmond great that has left the club (possibly) in less than satisfying circumstances.

I dont buy into that. I know that at times our board shows high level of incompetence but geez would they be that stupid to nominate someone who didnt want to be? I think that the fault is laying with TJ here.