Anthony Mithen appointment- your thoughts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anthony Mithen appointment- your thoughts

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
I posted the following article on www.rhettrospective.com  expressing my concerns about the Mithen appointment.

'I am concerned at the swiftness Clinton Casey seconded Anthony Mithen onto the Richmond board.  Within the space of 48 hours, from a Hafey Club function hosted by Mithen, to the Friday night game, a decision was made to bring the current radio announcer onto the Richmond board.

His appointment, to me, brings a few questions to light.   Is his appointment a conflict of interest, considering he comments about current sporting issues, and therefore would have bias to the club and its culture.

And where are the other people Clinton said he had spoken with to run for the board.  I haven't heard of any names, read anything in the paper about them. I'm sure it was reported that he had a few people he was considering to take the vacancies on the board- surely one wasn't Mithen if he first approached him on Wednesday.
It almost seems to me that the appointment of Mithen was on a spur of the moment , with not much forward thinking by the board or President. And that should be a concern to the supporters.   What the board needed was a former player, or someone with the legal background of Brendan Schwab.  They should replace a player for a player on that board.

The quick press conference by Mithen at the Richmond dinner was no doubt as amazing to watch in person as it was on TV.  He looked almost shocked, taken aback, and if the newspaper reports are correct, coughed and laughed at Clinton when he was first approached 48 hours earlier.   I wonder if both men have sat down together within those 48 hours and fleshed out their ideas about how to improve the club off field.

I guess only time will tell the impact Mithen has on the board.  I don't have a personal  issue with him, he is a passionate Richmond supporter, who loves his club, the culture and wants to ensure the club succeeds.  I'm just concerned things moved far to quickly.'

Drop me your thoughts at [email protected]

Tend to agree, Rhett.

This has all happened in a hell of a hurry, and smacks of "feeding the chooks" to stem the media tide.

With all due respect to Mithen, he does not bring the same background (legal or football) to the club. It has not been explained what skills he does actually bring with him. OK, he's in the media - so what?

Apart from this, and the proposal that Casey wants to appoint a woman to the board (why?), we have been met with stony silence as to the board replacements - and in fact why we need them in the first place.

The win on Friday night has been the perfect smokescreen for Casey to hide behind. We now get a hint of the desperation in the finances with the "Collingwood gate-share" issue. Throwing away a potentially lucrative long term arrangement for a "quick-fix".

And a torrent of silence still emanates from the club. Do we have to wait for a couple of losses for this issue to be resurrected ? I hope not.

I haven't got a problem with the Anthony Mithen appointment. He's a genuine Tiger man, and will offer some genuine media savvy and profile to the board — both of which we lack in spades.

Sure it was a quick appointment, but is speed so bad? I mean, we were running out of people and something needed to be done quickly to stem the tide of opinion that rats were deserting a sinking ship.

Rhett, we still have a couple of vacancies on the board to cover the legal and football sides. There must be a host of ex-players with good brains that can slot into a football liaison role.

I’m not overly worried at the speed of Mitthen’s nomination. As David Clayton said, the BOARD makes appointments and not just Clinton Casey so if there are problems they should have the capacity to uncover them.

While Mitthen lacks legal & football skills, he does have a media role and so, presumably, has some understanding of marketing and sponsorship. Also, the fact he has a relatively high profile, at least in Victoria, can only be of assistance to the Club in my view.

The only concern I’d have is that he may not have properly thought through all the obligations of taking a position on the Board in the 48 hours he had to think it over.

Dean3 said:
we were running out of people and something needed to be done quickly to stem the tide of opinion that rats were deserting a sinking ship.

Exactly.

As for his media savvy, would doubt he would get to use it - the board doesn't speak. :-X

It's not such much as a spokesperson as someone who can advise how to handle the media, now that Paul Maley has gone.