Anthony Mundine bizarre antigay rant | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anthony Mundine bizarre antigay rant

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
tigertim said:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/reality-tv/im-a-celebrity-2018-boxer-anthony-mundines-vile-antigay-rant-after-jungle-exit/news-story/0d52835ebb8b6281dbe6295f34ec3572

BOXER Anthony Mundine has appeared to support the death penalty for gays, saying it is the only way for society to deter homosexuality.

The high-profile Muslim doubled down on previous anti-gay rhetoric in an incendiary interview after abruptly quitting the Channel Ten reality show I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here!

He said homosexuality, banned in Islam, was also forbidden in Aboriginal culture.

“If we were to live in a society, just like in Aboriginal culture, that homosexuality is forbidden and you do it and the consequences are capital punishment or death, you think you are going to do it? Or think twice about doing it?”

Mundine then added the same fate should befall paedophiles. “Hang them suckers,” he said.

Asked to clarify if he meant gays should be executed, he replied: “The paedophiles mainly, hang them suckers and let’s see if they have the balls to do it again.”

Six predominantly Muslim countries — including Iran and Saudi Arabia — retain the death penalty for homosexuality, while another five nations have the penalty but do not use it.
Mundine attacked the push for gay rights in Western countries, saying it would inevitably lead to calls for the legalisation of paedophilia.

“Because they are pushing these gay rights so much in the Western world, the paedophiles out there want their rights,” he said. “Now they are going to claim to have rights. They want their rights just like the gay people want their rights.”

Prior to entering the jungle, Mundine controversially stated his opposition to homosexuality, contraception and abortion. In his latest interview he said he did not even believe homosexuals, actors or characters, should be allowed on TV as he fears it would influence children to become gay.
“They are not going to be happy until they have primary school kids being gay,” he said when asked to clarify his views. “If you are going to be gay, do it behind closed doors, that is how it used to be.”

Mundine’s comments appear to sail dangerously close to anti-vilification laws but he is unrepentant.

“I talk the truth ... I don’t care if you are gay or not, it doesn’t worry me because the creator will judge you later.”

Not true what he says about homosexuality being forbidden in Aboriginal cultures. He may be speaking for Bandjalang (spelling) but I doubt it to be honest. Post missionisation of course it’s a different story.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
fastin bulbous said:
Not true what he says about homosexuality being forbidden in Aboriginal cultures. He may be speaking for Bandjalang (spelling) but I doubt it to be honest. Post missionisation of course it’s a different story.
There is no such thing as "Aboriginal culture" anyway. It infers that Aboriginal people were/are one large homogeneous group, with a homogeneous culture. As if people indigenous to the Kimberley region are the same as those indigenous to parts of Victoria or Tasmania and so on.

It would be equivalent to saying a Slavic person from the Balkans and an English person both have the same culture, as they are all indigenous to Europe.

As such, there would be a complex web of many different cultures in pre-European Australia, with varying views and practices on sexuality. Like any human civilisation, this would cover the entire spectrum of views and practices relating to homosexuality.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
fastin bulbous said:
I like your attitude PT
Thanks FB.

I suppose the logical conclusion I reach from my line of thinking is that Anthony Mundine is neither entirely right nor entirely wrong in what he says.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Giardiasis said:
I saw it as a moral statement, not a call to persecute.

Perhaps that one is. But would you accept that as a clearly committed christian that Israel support all passage of the bible? Israel has made statements such as below, he can't change what the word of god says.

“In Ezekiel, chapter 33, verse 11, it says that ‘God has no pleasure in the person that’s living in sin’
“He’s a loving God and he wants people to turn away from what they’re living in and he’ll give them life. That’s the message I’m trying to share, even though it comes across as harsh.
“I can’t change what the word of God says. As we heard today, those that live for Christ will be persecuted for his name.
“I have love towards everyone that might be saying negative things. I choose to love them because God loves me.”

So young gay Christians could satisfy themselves that Israel also supports passages such as:

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. (Leviticus 18:22)

If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)

Gary might "Like" those passages too?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
MD Jazz said:
But would you accept that as a clearly committed christian that Israel support all passage of the bible?
I'd be speculating but I'd suggest he wouldn't, or certainly not the literal meaning behind the words, or he wouldn't see the passage you quoted as meaning homosexuals need to be put to death by other people. Seems he thinks God will punish them himself. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. As far as I can tell he believes homosexuality to be immoral, but I haven't seen him make any calls to persecute homosexuals.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Giardiasis said:
I'd be speculating but I'd suggest he wouldn't, or certainly not the literal meaning behind the words, or he wouldn't see the passage you quoted as meaning homosexuals need to be put to death by other people. Seems he thinks God will punish them himself. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest otherwise, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. As far as I can tell he believes homosexuality to be immoral, but I haven't seen him make any calls to persecute homosexuals.

So it sounds like he (and I imagine most Christians) do compromise their faith when it suits them ie we don't take the bible literally when it calls for extreme punishments such as death but we do go with the general gist.

He either believes in the bible or he doesn't, he hides behind the freedom of religion principle afforded him. He quotes a passage condemning homosexuality, surely he can be taken to task for other passages that discuss homosexuality?

Interested to know how anyone could read the passage below and not accept it asks for homosexuals be put to death.

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)"

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I find the exaggerated outrage perplexing. People so offended by being told they're going to a place they know doesn't exist :headscratch.

Not to mention, homosexuals were one of several groups of people that the post infers are going to hell. Unbelievers included. Hence, I'd hazard a guess that a good number of us here are going to hell by the criteria listed :don't know.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Panthera Tigris said:
I find the exaggerated outrage perplexing. People so offended by being told they're going to a place they know doesn't exist :headscratch.

Not to mention, homosexuals were one of several groups of people that the post infers are going to hell. Unbelievers included. Hence, I'd hazard a guess that a good number of us here are going to hell by the criteria listed :don't know.

Yeh, all the gays should just toughen up. Just get over yourselves (once you work out who you are of course).

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
MD Jazz said:
So it sounds like he (and I imagine most Christians) do compromise their faith when it suits them ie we don't take the bible literally when it calls for extreme punishments such as death but we do go with the general gist.

He either believes in the bible or he doesn't, he hides behind the freedom of religion principle afforded him. He quotes a passage condemning homosexuality, surely he can be taken to task for other passages that discuss homosexuality?

Interested to know how anyone could read the passage below and not accept it asks for homosexuals be put to death.

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)"

Interpreting the Bible is a bit trickier than just grabbing a verse from the OT and saying it applies to Christians who are under the new Covenant, not the old. Folau's scripture merely states that homosexuality is immoral and to practice it invites God's judgement. Many won't agree but it it really a hanging offence?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He is free to believe and say what he wants. The problem for him and ARU is that he signed a contract that means he must abide by certain conditions when using social media (and probably behaving in other ways).

His freedom of speech is not threatened. ARU and other corporations put these clauses in place to protect their brands and reputation with the broader community. He was warned about this behaviour last year so it's not as if he didn't understand the consequences.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:
ARU and other corporations put these clauses in place to protect their brands and reputation with the broader community.

It's got nothing to do with reputation when so many have sided with Folau. It's all about Alan Joyce's money. RA would do well to seek a less manipulative and hypocritical major sponsor.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It's got nothing to do with reputation when so many have sided with Folau. It's all about Alan Joyce's money. RA would do well to seek a less manipulative and hypocritical major sponsor.

No brand wants a battle with people taking "sides".

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Absolutely right! This whole thing has been orchestrated by the thin-skinned Joyce and his media mates when there is little in the actual post which is offensive. So Folau is warning sinners of the dangers of hell - and deserves to be sacked for it? It damages rugby’s brand exactly how?

Anyway the other problem the ARU has as there is no such clause in his contract :hihi. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out in court. The ARU already has egg on its face. Maybe it will be Raylene who gets the sack for this oversight.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Djevv said:
Interpreting the Bible is a bit trickier than just grabbing a verse from the OT and saying it applies to Christians who are under the new Covenant, not the old. Folau's scripture merely states that homosexuality is immoral and to practice it invites God's judgement. Many won't agree but it it really a hanging offence?

You are either committed or not aren’t you? You choose which parts you want to believe in? Some strong faith Hey?

What do you think about the damage these statements cause?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
MD Jazz said:
You are either committed or not aren’t you? You choose which parts you want to believe in? Some strong faith Hey?

That's why the Catechism exists. #2357-2359 would be illuminating to those labelling Folau's views "extreme".

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

He was found guilty by an independent panel headed by a QC, a bit more than just Alan Joyce.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
IanG said:
He was found guilty by an independent panel headed by a QC, a bit more than just Alan Joyce.

Is that like the independent tribunal that found Essendon not guilty of doping?

Funny how e.g. Karmichael Hunt being convicted of drug offences is a low-level breach while posting Biblical teachings online rates as "high-level". The panel duly handed down the finding that RA required.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
That's why the Catechism exists. #2357-2359 would be illuminating to those labelling Folau's views "extreme".

So your point is that Catholic fundamentalism is as extreme as Folau's evangelical fundamentalism? Help me out here Lee