Anzac Day !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anzac Day !!

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
You appear to get all your info from the daily fail and bigfoooty. no wonder you keep getting things wrong.
I didn’t post the article from dailyfail the one I got from big footy I rectified.
What do you do? Just pot others? Easy to do *smile* all and criticise.

Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Im waiting for WIllos little cheer squad who liked his post to comment on this.
I’ll comment myself. Unlike you lwnj’s i dont need an audience full of backslappers to prop me up.Ahhh the usual suspects are starting to arrive for the high five wank fest

Good to see they are an independent statutory body. That doesn’t mean they can’t be influenced one way or another, does it?

Last edited:

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
You appear to get all your info from the daily fail and bigfoooty. no wonder you keep getting things wrong.
No problem with being wrong at times. Unlike yourself and a few others who never get anything wrong. Ever

So tell me what else can you prove I got wrong ?

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Good to see the Daily Mail raised this issue in the public eye and got it rescinded by government influence on the independent statutory body

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
What part of independent statutory body don't you understand ?
I understand that the DH&AAT's is a part time well paid cushy number for retired Senior Defence Officers & senior Defence Public nuisances sic Servants. They are appointed by Department of Defence.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I didn’t post the article from dailyfail the one I got from big footy I rectified.
What do you do? Just pot others? Easy to do *smile* all and criticise.
Just joking Willo. Relax.

I will post substance on issues of substance. This thread is just another failed attempt to bag the current government using a source anyone with an ounce of sensibility would ignore.

• Haha

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

I will post substance on issues of substance. This thread is just another failed attempt to bag the current government using a source anyone with an ounce of sensibility would ignore.
Yet you and others still replied :giggle: You blokes better keep an eye out for a few ounces yourselves

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I understand that the DH&AAT's is a part time well paid cushy number for retired Senior Defence Officers & senior Defence Public nuisances sic Servants. They are appointed by Department of Defence.
And at least 3 were appointed last year. I wonder what terms they serve. Or is it “at the governments pleasure”?

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
A little side story which is sadly very true........

My wife's late grandfather (Grandpa) was a volunteer assigned to a lighthorse regiment in Western Australia near the end of World War II. He was in the army for nearly 3 years in total, proud to be serving his country. He left behind a young wife, and his farm which his father and uncles maintained (in addition to their own) while he was away.

The regiment did their basic training, then was held in reserve in the North of the country (mainly initially due to the risk of Japanese invasion) waiting to be deployed for action. They were finally mobilised for possible embarkation, making it across the country to Melbourne, when the war ended somewhat abruptly with the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.

In travelling to Melbourne, the unit was split, with some going by sea and some going by rail. After the war, the Defence Department of whatever they were back then brought in a determination of what constituted active service overseas. I am not sure what the exact relevance of this was, because I am pretty sure Grandpa got a military pension of sorts in his later years. It may have been smaller than those who actually served overseas, but he would never begrudge them that given what they went through. And I am also certain that the Government did correct this situation sometime after the war to recognise all active service equally, whether overseas or not.

To cut to the chase, the people of that regiment, including admin clerks, cooks and other general staff, who travelled by sea to Melbourne were awarded recognition of having served overseas, and those on the train weren't. One clerk (from Grandpa's district coincidentally) had been in the army for 6 weeks, 2 of which were with the regiment, and got that recognition.

Now Grandpa would be the first to tell you that his part in the war was minimal. He had the deepest respect for those people who did go overseas and suffered through it. And he would never speak ill of the army or the Government. He got a lot of help when he finally returned home, including being given his army rifle and a heap of ammunition, his horse, and even an old tank to share with other farmers in the area which was converted in to a bulldozer. He was grateful for all of that.

But a really rotten thing came out of this, that really hurt Grandpa to the day he died.

The local RSL refused him membership because he had not 'served overseas'. Point blank, without a scrap of empathy. The Government did not put it on his record, so the RSL refused his membership on those grounds. They did it to a number of other people from the district as well, and presumably anyone else from that regiment who resided elsewhere. So half the regiment could join the RSL, and the other half couldn't.

Despite his hurt, he never complained to anyone else.. He was from that generation I guess. But a number of people from where he lived were incensed and petitioned the RSL and everyone else. To no avail.

This story was not related to me by Grandpa. He would never talk about it. His brother-in-law (Grandma's brother) knew I was keen on family history and told me.

A couple of little endnotes:

A few years before he died, my wife and I got Grandpa (who was then around 90) and travelled to where he was born. We wanted to see the original family farm and where he grew up, before the family moved 200kms to another rural area when he was 14. We went to the town hall, and there was a memorial to all the men and women from the district who had served from the Boer war through to Vietnam. Grandpas name was on it. I then checked the memorial where he had his own farm, and his name was there as well. It was quite emotional to see that.

I also found out that in the late 1970s, the RSL actually approached Grandpa and offered him to the chance to join. He never responded, but privately I am told he never even read the letter, just threw it in the kitchen fire.

Grandpa was a volunteer. He would do anything for anyone, the epitome of a 'mate' from a generation who really subscribed to that sentiment. After the war, he was a volunteer in the local bush fire brigade for over 50 years.

Grandpa was a great man. I loved him like he was my own Grandfather, and my wife and I even named my son after him.

Reactions: 4 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

No one is upset. It looks like your dailyfail got it right. So much for the tribunal being “independent “.It looks like me and @Tigaman don’t need those “ounces”

You look better look for those ounces in a hurry Brodders and share them around with the rest of your posse.

From time to time the Government will direct the Tribunal to inquire into particular issues. When a matter is referred to the Tribunal for inquiry a call for submissions is made

and

In reviewing eligibility for defence honours (such as a gallantry or distinguished service award) the Tribunal may make recommendations to Government to affirm, revoke, substitute or vary the Department’s initial decision.

That suggests the Tribunal isn't quite as independent as suggested and they’re subservient to the Government after all.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
A little side story which is sadly very true........

My wife's late grandfather (Grandpa) was a volunteer assigned to a lighthorse regiment in Western Australia near the end of World War II. He was in the army for nearly 3 years in total, proud to be serving his country. He left behind a young wife, and his farm which his father and uncles maintained (in addition to their own) while he was away.

The regiment did their basic training, then was held in reserve in the North of the country (mainly initially due to the risk of Japanese invasion) waiting to be deployed for action. They were finally mobilised for possible embarkation, making it across the country to Melbourne, when the war ended somewhat abruptly with the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.

In travelling to Melbourne, the unit was split, with some going by sea and some going by rail. After the war, the Defence Department of whatever they were back then brought in a determination of what constituted active service overseas. I am not sure what the exact relevance of this was, because I am pretty sure Grandpa got a military pension of sorts in his later years. It may have been smaller than those who actually served overseas, but he would never begrudge them that given what they went through. And I am also certain that the Government did correct this situation sometime after the war to recognise all active service equally, whether overseas or not.

To cut to the chase, the people of that regiment, including admin clerks, cooks and other general staff, who travelled by sea to Melbourne were awarded recognition of having served overseas, and those on the train weren't. One clerk (from Grandpa's district coincidentally) had been in the army for 6 weeks, 2 of which were with the regiment, and got that recognition.

Now Grandpa would be the first to tell you that his part in the war was minimal. He had the deepest respect for those people who did go overseas and suffered through it. And he would never speak ill of the army or the Government. He got a lot of help when he finally returned home, including being given his army rifle and a heap of ammunition, his horse, and even an old tank to share with other farmers in the area which was converted in to a bulldozer. He was grateful for all of that.

But a really rotten thing came out of this, that really hurt Grandpa to the day he died.

The local RSL refused him membership because he had not 'served overseas'. Point blank, without a scrap of empathy. The Government did not put it on his record, so the RSL refused his membership on those grounds. They did it to a number of other people from the district as well, and presumably anyone else from that regiment who resided elsewhere. So half the regiment could join the RSL, and the other half couldn't.

Despite his hurt, he never complained to anyone else.. He was from that generation I guess. But a number of people from where he lived were incensed and petitioned the RSL and everyone else. To no avail.

This story was not related to me by Grandpa. He would never talk about it. His brother-in-law (Grandma's brother) knew I was keen on family history and told me.

A couple of little endnotes:

A few years before he died, my wife and I got Grandpa (who was then around 90) and travelled to where he was born. We wanted to see the original family farm and where he grew up, before the family moved 200kms to another rural area when he was 14. We went to the town hall, and there was a memorial to all the men and women from the district who had served from the Boer war through to Vietnam. Grandpas name was on it. I then checked the memorial where he had his own farm, and his name was there as well. It was quite emotional to see that.

I also found out that in the late 1970s, the RSL actually approached Grandpa and offered him to the chance to join. He never responded, but privately I am told he never even read the letter, just threw it in the kitchen fire.

Grandpa was a volunteer. He would do anything for anyone, the epitome of a 'mate' from a generation who really subscribed to that sentiment. After the war, he was a volunteer in the local bush fire brigade for over 50 years.

Grandpa was a great man. I loved him like he was my own Grandfather, and my wife and I even named my son after him.
Thanks for sharing that quite personal story Streak. That’s quite an emotional then a lovely story.
Grandpa sounds like a really lovely bloke.
I’m glad when you and your wife took him back to his home town hall and all who served were recorded for posterity. As well as to the memorial at his farm. To see his emotions and being able to share those moments with him are to be cherished

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That suggests the Tribunal isn't quite as independent as suggested and they’re subservient to the Government after all.
Doesn't suggest that at all. You're reading into it what you want to read into it, rather than taking what is stated at face value.

Funniest part of this thread is that the DailyMail didn't accuse the current day government of screwing up the original decision, yet you and the other DailyMail disciple took it as that and ran with it.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Doesn't suggest that at all. You're reading into it what you want to read into it, rather than taking what is stated at face value.

Funniest part of this thread is that the DailyMail didn't accuse the current day government of screwing up the original decision, yet you and the other DailyMail disciple took it as that and ran with it.
That’s because we had inside information that we couldn’t share with just anyone :giggle:

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Magic Dawn Service at Rockingham. Now for the March then the RSL Club to enjoy with past Navy colleagues who are left, with a few welcome ales.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Great turn out at Rockingham today & one must congratulate the Rocky citizens for such a turn out. RSL packed to the rafters with that traditional game of two up well patronized . Myself came out ahead for a change. If you where a Head man you must have the wallet packed with notes. Any of you guys participate in Anzac day events ?.