Assistant Coach Wish List | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Assistant Coach Wish List

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Short and simple, fast and brutal. Interested to see who is willing to put their views out there.

If you were forced to name a Top 3, No:1 being your preferred pick, what 3 Assistants would you be happy to see at Punt Rd next year?

The only condition is you have to see a realistic possibility of it happening, even if ever so slim. (Personally I don't think Buckley is realistic, others might though)

1: Brad Scott (Obviously ambitious and could smell the possible blood in the water next year, as Harvey did at Freo)
2: Campbell (I have a gut feeling he could be great, a straight shooter and would have learnt much under Eade)
3: Hardwick (Was originally against him despite him fitting my prototype but more and more I think on it, worth a try)

Gary March is putting a process in place to ensure that we get the best available.

I'm looking forward to casting my vote in the reality TV series So You Think You Can Coach.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Gary March is putting a process in place to ensure that we get the best available.

Hmmm Captain Obvious at his best.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
I'm looking forward to casting my vote in the reality TV series So You Think You Can Coach.

LMAO! Gold! :clap

You obviously missed Hutchy's The Club and Hammerhead Mania.

Reactions: 1 user
Tigers of Old said:
1. Buckley
2. R Harvey
3. Campbell

None of the above.

I expect someone that has won a flag.....history shows the continuity of success has a higher yeild of flags than, non flag winning player/coaches.

eg. look at the last decade of flags won.....i think 7 out of the 10 flags have been won by coaches that have won flags as a player.

mathews x3
sheeds x1
worsfield x1
blight x1
Bomber thompson x1
(and roos played in a GF i think)

Mark Williams is a great coach i dont think he did much as a player....but chances of success are higher with people that know how to win flags.
opposed to champion club players...taking nothing away from the above list.

I could be wrong but thats my opinion
Id go for Damian Hardwick if we cant sucure a proven senior coach

51K72J0Y38L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Shemp for the 'head job'

daoula said:
None of the above.

I expect someone that has won a flag.....history shows the continuity of success has a higher yeild of flags than, non flag winning player/coaches.

eg. look at the last decade of flags won.....i think 7 out of the 10 flags have been won by coaches that have won flags as a player.

mathews x3
sheeds x1
worsfield x1
blight x1
Bomber thompson x1
(and roos played in a GF i think)

Mark Williams is a great coach i dont think he did much as a player....but chances of success are higher with people that know how to win flags.
opposed to champion club players...taking nothing away from the above list.

I could be wrong but thats my opinion
Id go for Damian Hardwick if we cant sucure a proven senior coach
Reckon there's as much evidence the other way, daoula. Names like Francis Bourke, Kevin Bartlett and Tim Watson have been spectacular failures as coaches despite playing in plenty of flags. Also stacks of successful coaches who got nowhere near it as players - Norm Smith, Tom Hafey, Paul Roos & Denis Pagan. That said, I think there's a fair bit of evidence that you get a coaching gig more easily if you've played in a flag - it's what you do when you're in that counts.

It would be interesting to appoint someone who outwardly shows a dislike for our club, perhaps instead of spitting at us they could help turn us around, tell us how to do it seeing as they obviously know better...

Like, Brereton, Thomas, Williams... :mad:

OK, not a good choice really.

Hmm....

feisty tige said:
It would be interesting to appoint someone who outwardly shows a dislike for our club, perhaps instead of spitting at us they could help turn us around, tell us how to do it seeing as they obviously know better...

Like, Brereton, Thomas, Williams... :mad:

OK, not a good choice really.

Hmm....

LOL. Nice post from left field fiesty one. I was hoping to see some people thinking outside the box..

But no, I agree, not a good choice really :hihi

I would rather be coached by Goldspink than Brereton

Is Lambert available? Surely he's done enough time under Matthews to be considered. Wayne Campbell would be my 2nd choice and third, probably Hardwick.

Just out of interest, could the people who are nominating Buckley (as they feel we have a reluctant chance for him) please tell me what window of opportunity they see for this?

He would be my first preference also but i don't see it possible, hasn't he already agreed to coach somewhere next year? International or AIS or something? Someone mentioned in the Buckley thread, i hadn't heard that but was going off that post.

Hutchy and Robinson both think he will stay in media one more year, would havethought they would have heard some whispers otherwise. Though Hutchy also didn't hear anything about McNamee getting the chop :hihi :rofl

Dyer Disciple said:
Just out of interest, could the people who are nominating Buckley (as they feel we have a reluctant chance for him) please tell me what window of opportunity they see for this?

He would be my first preference also but i don't see it possible, hasn't he already agreed to coach somewhere next year? International or AIS or something? Someone mentioned in the Buckley thread, i hadn't heard that but was going off that post.

It's a wish list isn't it? ;)

He'd be my number one preference, well above any others.

What is Mark Ricciuto up to these days? He's another I'd like to see considered.