Australia Day Poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day Poll

Which applies to you?

• Celebrate Australia Day. Keep the date.

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • Celebrate Australia Day. Change the date.

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • Don't celebrate Australia. Keep the date.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Don't celebrate Australia Day. Change the date.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Prawn sandwich on the barbie

• Other...please specify.

• Total voters

Maneevo

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 13, 2011
It’s worth noting that it’s only been celebrated on jan 26 for 20 years, it’s hardly a tradition. Move the date for the betterment of all our people and then celebrate without the controversy. It’s quite ridiculous that we have to have the same conversations every year.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The holiday will be changed to either Feb 7 or Feb 21. Feb because it's still summer and hot so we don't lose the BBQ/*smile* Up tradition. A week away from Valentines day to keep the girls happy. But there will be a push from the Unions to not fix a date and instead do an Easter / Cup Day and have it the first or 3rd Monday of Feb.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Coburgtiger said:
Perhaps.

Except when you're indigenous, quietly paying respect to your ancestors, then you go outside an a bunch of drunk guys draped in Australian flags are partying in their front yard.

About on an equal to the tent embassy imo. Why cater to the lowest common denominator? I am sure plenty of Indigenous people appreciate the opportunities and are proud Australians...same as me...and don't choose to take offense. I wonder how the several Indigenous people who have accepted Aussie of the Year Awards feel. Are they proud of their awards or are they hypocrites accepting them? A set date is just a number imo. There will always be some who take exception regardless of when it is celebrated. There will be others who embrace our land of opportunity for all. Can't please everyone.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
There’s some irony that of Australia’s 650,000 indigenous people there’s about 4 I’ve heard say that Australia Day should change. I’ve heard from about the same number who say it should stay the same.

But I’ve heard from 100s of white Australians telling us what the indigenous want......

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
tigertim said:
There’s some irony that of Australia’s 650,000 indigenous people there’s about 4 I’ve heard say that Australia Day should change. I’ve heard from about the same number who say it should stay the same.

But I’ve heard from 100s of white Australians telling us what the indigenous want......

I'm a white australian, I don't proclaim to know. From what I've heard from leaders in various aboriginal communities is that it's insulting and insensitive. I might be wrong.

But simple cost/benefit or pro/con tells me that there is no reason to celebrate the 26th, and some reason to change it. It's as simple as that.

rosy3 said:
About on an equal to the tent embassy imo. Why cater to the lowest common denominator? I am sure plenty of Indigenous people appreciate the opportunities and are proud Australians...same as me...and don't choose to take offense. I wonder how the several Indigenous people who have accepted Aussie of the Year Awards feel. Are they proud of their awards or are they hypocrites accepting them? A set date is just a number imo. There will always be some who take exception regardless of when it is celebrated. There will be others who embrace our land of opportunity for all. Can't please everyone.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding Australian of the year. I never said anything against being a proud Australian. As I said, I even like the idea of having a day to appreciate our culture and way of life, freedom, mateship etc by getting together with friends and having fun.

And you may not be able to please everyone, but if you can make a relatively simple and harmless change in order to not openly insult people, then why not?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Get rid of the holiday altogether as well as all other public holidays. Allow people to decide when they want to take annual leave instead of via government mandates.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
I'm one for keeping the date, or if not ditching the holiday all together. It's become so political now that moving the date will change nothing.

On a side note, did anyone read in The Australian about an 8 year old Aboriginal boy committed suicide recently in the Northern Territory? Solving the problems that cause 8 year old children to think that suicide was their only option might be an area people, and governments, could channel their anger toward rather than this crap. It makes me so mad that so much energy is expelled on things that don't matter when the things that do are not paid one iota of attention.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I wasn't aware of that TT but it breaks my heart. So much assumption about how others might feel yet the serious issues are largely ignored.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Move it to the 2nd half of the year so we have another public holiday with the Melbourne Cup......

martyshire

^^ Jack Graham that is
Aug 11, 2007
Rowville...or maybe London
Total Tiger said:
I'm one for keeping the date, or if not ditching the holiday all together. It's become so political now that moving the date will change nothing.

On a side note, did anyone read in The Australian about an 8 year old Aboriginal boy committed suicide recently in the Northern Territory? Solving the problems that cause 8 year old children to think that suicide was their only option might be an area people, and governments, could channel their anger toward rather than this crap. It makes me so mad that so much energy is expelled on things that don't matter when the things that do are not paid one iota of attention.
That's horrible. Totally agree this sort of tragedy represents one of the many much bigger problems that need to be addressed. Unfortunately these much bigger problems are much more difficult to address. They are complex problems.

A date change on the other hand might seem trivial but it is easy and the symbolism could be powerful.

I have heard it argued before that, right across the world, as soon as the indigenous or downtrodden peoples in a given country achieve a treaty, recognition, etc., they suddenly experience increased living standards, health, etc. I can't remember words were used, but the logic of the argument was, 'the more we can make indigenous Australians feel like they are part of society, the better impact it will have on mental and physical health outcomes'.

I don't claim to know any Aboriginal people well, but they've been campaigning against 'Invasion Day' for ages. Surely calling 26th Jan 'Australia Day' has an impact on their collective psyche.

If anyone has convincing evidence that the majority of indigenous people don't want a date change then I will happily pipe down.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I've heard a lot of indigenous people tell me they don't like a celebration on the day they were dispossessed. I think we need to celebrate something different as our national day and move it.

Also the government should seriously consider the Uluru Statement not just dismiss indigenous opinion out of hand.

Lastly, why the hell do we celebrate the day the UK decided to implement offshore detention in Australia?

DS

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
This captures my view.

"Australia Day is about acknowledging and celebrating the contribution that every Australian makes to our contemporary and dynamic nation. From our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people - who have been here for more than 65,000 years - to those who have lived here for generations, to those who have come from all corners of the globe to call our country home"

many countries have a day to celebrate their country. Personally I don't care what day it is but love having a day to reflect and enjoy this beautiful country I was born in.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Imagine if Chinese military rolled into Australia on July 1, through our leafy suburbs and into the yarra valley and beyond etc, named our island South China, disposessed us, abused and murdered us for generations, denied us basic human rights for about 170 years or so and then for the next 50 years tried to make up for it. Would July 1 be a good date for all of us to celebrate South China day?

Do the Northern Irish catholics celebrate the day the English navy landed on their shores? Why would a conquered people celebrate being conquered? It’s absurd.

Jan 26 has got to be the absolute worst choice imaginable. The very worst.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
DavidSSS said:
I've heard a lot of indigenous people tell me they don't like a celebration on the day they were dispossessed. I think we need to celebrate something different as our national day and move it.

DS

This. For all the bitching and moaning none of us rank and file non-indigenous Australians would really give a *smile* if the date was changed. We would *smile* for a little and move on. Changing the date like saying "sorry" would have a monumentally positive emotional impact for most indigenous Australians and go a great way to healing the wounds of the past. The choice is easy.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
tigertim said:

Heard any of that first hand in person Tim from an indigenous person or just via the news outlets/ talkback you chose to read/listen to?

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Baloo said:
The holiday will be changed to either Feb 7 or Feb 21. Feb because it's still summer and hot so we don't lose the BBQ/p!ss Up tradition. A week away from Valentines day to keep the girls happy. But there will be a push from the Unions to not fix a date and instead do an Easter / Cup Day and have it the first or 3rd Monday of Feb.
From memory the holiday was taken from the last Monday in January to January 26 in a plot by Kennett and Greiner to hit the unions. They would lose a public holiday in the 2 out of 7 years that January 26 falls on a weekend. I don't get holidays any more but I'm in favour of bringing it back to the traditional ;D last Monday in January.

Maneevo

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 13, 2011
tigertim said:

And how many indigenous actually have a voice to express their opinion in our white news cycle?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
9thPlaceTiger said:
And how many indigenous actually have a voice to express their opinion in our white news cycle?
Depends on whether they have the correct opinion, i.e. bourgeoisie white man bad, proletariat aboriginal man victim.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Gia Or a simple count of the news presenters on each of the stations.
Could be another, more empirical, way to look at it