"Australian Rules" The movie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

"Australian Rules" The movie

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
My daughter saw this movie in the shop last night and hired it for me thinking it would be right up my alley. I loved it, was a great movie.

I found it really strange though. A movie of two halves. The first half up until the the premiership game was really funny, kind of TheCastle-esque, then the second half really serious.

That wasn't what I found strangest about it though. The thing that amazed me was that it's about the first Australian movie I've seen that Bud Tingwell hasn't popped up in. ;D

Has anyone else seen the movie? I hadn't even heard of it before.

Future Tiger Champ

Tiger Cub
Jul 17, 2003
I have not seen the movie as yet, but i did have to read the two books a couple of years ago for my english class at school. The movie is based on two novels writen by Phillip Gwynne called
1. Deadly Unna?
2. Nukkin Ya

I have read both the book, and enjoyed them both very much, and I cant wait to see the movie, just hope it does the books justice.

A small description of the book can be found at
http://local.sa.uca.org.au/youth/resources/deadlyunna.htm

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks heaps for that info F T C. There would be very few instances where I've enjoyed a movie as much as reading the book.
I'll reserve the books at the library and post my opinion when I've read them.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
This might be an old topic by now but, as it's the first time I've peeped in here, thought I'd add my tuppence worth.

Movie came out about the same time as 'Rabbit-proof Fence' and 'The Tracker' but didn't get the same amount of promotion which is a pity because it stands up there with the others. We CAN make some great movies when given the chance.

I read the books long enough ago to not notice how closely the movie kept to the books but, hey, when trying to fit two books into a movie don't expect too much, just enjoy the film.

I would put the difference between the movie and the books on about the same par as how the movie of 'The Shipping News' compared with the book, the story is sort of represented but don't go with a critical eye...if that makes sense.

There is also a film doing the circuits, without any fanfare, called 'Dalkeith'. Just a gentle little comedy but worth seeing if you get the opportunity.

BTW rosy, are you sure that goal umpire wasn't the great Bud, be unusual if he didn't get at least a cameo.