Bachar Houli - بشار حولي, | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bachar Houli - بشار حولي,

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
i read an article on the club website on Dion Prestia. Talked about how no one at club mentions player stats or even individual form. It was all based on team performance.
The coaches dont care about disposal numbers.
This is plain to see. Since 2017 Cotch's numbers are right down. Overall the team numbers are down. We dont aim to get more kicks or metres gained etc. We aim to get more goals.

I would suggest that anyone claiming that a Richmond player is stat padding by taking bounces, going sideways or taking kickouts... you need to reconsider.
The club doesnt read them, the players dont read them. Maybe we shouldnt read them.

Yet hardwick could’ve been known as Statwick early in his coaching tenure.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
200th game this week!
Congrats Bash. Well done.
Technically only his 174th (as first 26 games don't count!)
Thanks EssenDoom.:D

Sort of forget he was ever there..... makes you wonder what a fella like Bachar would have done if he'd been at that club when they were on the gear..... got out before the rot (JH) set in.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
On the verge of his 200th game, here's a rare early pic of Bachar without his beard as a Tiger..

He's still playing great footy too. So glad he appears to have gotten over those calf injuries.

bachar houli 8876.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
all changed since late 2016. we all need to do the same

Pretty much how I see it. Club focuses on the positives not the negatives. We won a flag because of that change.

The club went from darkside to brightside.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If there's one bloke that deserves credit, its houli.
From a massive panic merchant to quality footballer.
Houli was in my top 3 in the GF.
Dusty Rance Houli

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I wouldn't worry. Your criticism is fair criticism even if some of us don't agree. Players are warned not to read social media and I reckon Bashar would be completely unaffected by it even if he did read it.

I doubt any Richmond player would read PRE unless they wanted a good laugh.
They come for the insightful critiques. Where else could they find the fountain of knowledge?

Reactions: 1 user

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
i read an article on the club website on Dion Prestia. Talked about how no one at club mentions player stats or even individual form. It was all based on team performance.
The coaches dont care about disposal numbers.
This is plain to see. Since 2017 Cotch's numbers are right down. Overall the team numbers are down. We dont aim to get more kicks or metres gained etc. We aim to get more goals.

I would suggest that anyone claiming that a Richmond player is stat padding by taking bounces, going sideways or taking kickouts... you need to reconsider.
The club doesnt read them, the players dont read them. Maybe we shouldnt read them.

Where does it say that the club doesn't read them?

All Prestia said was that stats weren't discussed with the players.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'll stand pat on Houli. He will make it at Punt Road.

Skill set is very good. Has a role to play. Can kick, can find space. That is what I want. Add to the run and spread. And when its his turn to go, he has to go.

The Day 1's knew he was good. Love everything Bash has done for the club on and off the ground. True Tiger. I associate Holui & Grigg with the start of the turnaround. Always will.

Reactions: 6 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The Day 1's knew he was good. Love everything Bash has done for the club on and off the ground. True Tiger. I associate Holui & Grigg with the start of the turnaround. Always will.
if there was a medal for quoting ones own quotes, Scoop you’d be a gold medallist ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Where does it say that the club doesn't read them?

All Prestia said was that stats weren't discussed with the players.
ok maybe the club reads them. maybe Dimma reports them to the chief and Peggy every monday morning. maybe.

But if you want to see change on the field, you talk to the players.
And Dion has stated that it doesnt happen. No discussion of individual stats.
There is no "Bach you need more bounces, i dont care if you have only ran 2m"

There is obviously a lot of feedback and mentoring after each match. And we generally play the same role, with Houli kicking short to the pocket and then lomg down the line.
Houli plays to instructions, just that their Dimmas instructions and not from PRE

Tiger68

Grow boys, grow!
Mar 13, 2007
Sydney
ok maybe the club reads them. maybe Dimma reports them to the chief and Peggy every monday morning. maybe.

But if you want to see change on the field, you talk to the players.
And Dion has stated that it doesnt happen. No discussion of individual stats.
There is no "Bach you need more bounces, i dont care if you have only ran 2m"

There is obviously a lot of feedback and mentoring after each match. And we generally play the same role, with Houli kicking short to the pocket and then lomg down the line.
Houli plays to instructions, just that their Dimmas instructions and not from PRE

I think you have missed the nuance of the argument.

Of course coaches will not talk individual disposal numbers with players, it goes against the idea of being selfless.

The team first ethos is constantly being promoted by coaches and leaders because there is a somewhat natural tendency for players to chase statistics. Young players and fringe players are particularly vulnerable to chasing stats. IMO Prestia was talking to the players as well as fans when he says we don't need plays to get 30 disposals or kick lots of goals.

The reason it is such a challenge for coaches is that the media and fan perception does matter. The players know it and the coaches know it. So, whilst the club will promote a team first ethos, I would argue coaches are not immune to being influenced by the media who have built an industry around disposals and fantasy points.

This is a secondary point that I don't want to overplay, but Hardwick is on record this season as saying 'I am an accountant by trade and the first thing I want to do after a game is look at the stats'.

Touching on a different topic that you raised - unnecessary bounces:

The point about unnecessary bounces is that it is bad habit and it is easily fixed. I know the coaches don't count bounces - but are they telling them not to do it? Both Short and Houli understand that the media (including the club website last week) often equate bounces to run and carry.

I was once coached in a rep side training session by Tom Hafey - his focus in the training drills was to explode out of the context and run your full measure before you dispose of the ball (no bouncing). I copped a blast, which hurt me at the time, and it has never left me. Bouncing takes your eyes off the field, slows your pace and kicking the ball will move the ball more quickly if there are better options. Dusty and Cotch are both great examples of what do - explode, look for an option, look for again for an option then bounce because they have to.

Last edited: