Balta and Gibcus our key forwards in 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Balta and Gibcus our key forwards in 2024

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The move of Balta to the forward line looks like being a success.

By 2024 Jack will be retired and Lynch rising 32.

Would love to see Gibcus learn his trade down back like Balta and then go forward.

Grimes and Tarrant might be done by then, but Broady will still be in his prime.

There's a bit to play out, Miller and Biggie will need to establish themselves in the side as key defenders.

Would have to trade in, or draft another key defender, but we will need to do that anyway.

Balta and Gibcus would be an awesome combination in the forward line, unbeatable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
both seem to be able to kick the ball 60m+ effortlessly. Gibcus was all about marking intercept skill - but boy oh boy can this kid kick a ball.

Reactions: 2 users
Gibcus is not Balta.

Balta was always an enigma, who mostly had forward traits.

Gibcus is a backman.

Both are beautiful kicks, but Gibcus has the composure and vision to set up, whereas Balta has the brute length and one eyed goal hunger.

Balta was a good backman but virtue of athleticism. Gibcus is a natural reader of the play, with the concentration of a test batsman.

Balta wants to run off his man, Gibcus wants to beat him. It's Balta's default setting to get the ball through the sticks. And Gibcus's is to find the option that will get it there.

I think we have our next generation Rance and Riewoldt.

Reactions: 16 users
Gibcus is not Balta.
Lynch is not Riewoldt.
Gibcus is not Balta.
Agree, Gibcus is not Balta, he is Naughton, but a much better kick.
Gibcus is a backman.
It was just a few weeks ago that many were saying that Balta is a backman, not a forward.
I think we have our next generation Rance and Riewoldt.
That is how things might eventuate.

But wouldn't it be great if Balta and Gibcus are our next Jonathan Brown and Alistair Lynch, or to reach for the stars, Carey and Longmire, or Buddy Franklin and Jarryd Roughead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
i reckon by 2024 we will have Balta, Gibcus, Miller, Ryan and Nyuon sharing the key forward roles.
Balta, Gibcus, Miller and Nyuon sharing the key backs,.
and Soldo, Ryan, Balta and Miller sharing the ruck.

all continually swapping positions. our opposition wont know what to do. neither will the AA selectors.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I just assumed we'd play Gibcus forward this year. Mainly because he gets so much air and can catch. And wouldn't get a starting berth. But we only had to see his decision making in one intraclub game to know that he'd be on the park and in the seniors in defence.

In time, when Gibcus has furnished, we may have to play him forward. He may be too talented to play back. Naughton is the most recent example of that thinking. But Chris Grant, Blight, Alistair Lynch et al come to mind. Hang on... Jade Rawlings! Tom McDonald.

Forwards get more money.

Reactions: 1 users
I just assumed we'd play Gibcus forward this year. Mainly because he gets so much air and can catch. And wouldn't get a starting berth. But we only had to see his decision making in one intraclub game to know that he'd be on the park and in the seniors in defence.

In time, when Gibcus has furnished, we may have to play him forward. He may be too talented to play back. Naughton is the most recent example of that thinking. But Chris Grant, Blight, Alistair Lynch et al come to mind. Hang on... Jade Rawlings! Tom McDonald.

Forwards get more money.
Yep, it would be bordering on negligence not to try Gibcus up forward at some point in the next few years.

Lynch is not Riewoldt.

Agree, Gibcus is not Balta, he is Naughton, but a much better kick.

It was just a few weeks ago that many were saying that Balta is a backman, not a forward.

That is how things might eventuate.

But wouldn't it be great if Balta and Gibcus are our next Jonathan Brown and Alistair Lynch, or to reach for the stars, Carey and Longmire, or Buddy Franklin and Jarryd Roughead.

I'm not saying Gibcus wouldn't be a great forward.

I'm saying he won't be.