To Noldo, or not to Noldo, that is the question...... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

To Noldo, or not to Noldo, that is the question......

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Hoping Noldo will be a thing this season. Will help the midfield immensely and that translates into the ball going forward.

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Hoping Noldo will be a thing this season. Will help the midfield immensely and that translates into the ball going forward.
I think I’ve got this right - Nank and Soldo combo? If so, 100%. There’ll be a few oppo midfielders getting hurt by those 2, and a few Tiger mids suddenly having a bit more time and space.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I think I’ve got this right - Nank and Soldo combo? If so, 100%. There’ll be a few oppo midfielders getting hurt by those 2, and a few Tiger mids suddenly having a bit more time and space.
Nando.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
When Nank retires and Soldo becomes no1 ruck with Samson, get ready for Solson.

* these names sound better than those d*ckhead variants.

• Haha
When I look at our defence, after putting in Broad, Grimes and Tarrant....against most teams we don't need Balta down back.

When I look at our forwards...after putting Riewoldt and Lynch up there....how does Balta fit?

There will be some structural changes this year. Just hard to say what.

I feel both Soldo and Nank will play if available...so we can't squeeze in some ruck forward option as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Spot on, in that 2020 finals series we were one too many down back and had to use Astbury in the ruck, and then adjust at half time in the Grand Final with Balta into the ruck and forward and that was with Vlastuin down.

Last year we had steady injuries that prevented it being an issue.

I think our best footy has been with an effective third forward, the issue has been our third forward hasn't been effective enough. With this set up I think Lynch and Balta will be seeded one and two by the opposition defence which will leave Riewoldt with the third defender which should be a huge plus for us with his footy smarts.
So who is our first ruck? Soldo or Nank?

IMO Dimma plays both of these two. 2019 model.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don't see room for both, I'm playing Nankervis.

I don't really see how they play if Balta is back anyway because neither of them are good enough up forward.
This is why I like Balta as the 3rd forward and relief ruck. It's very similar to the way Melbourne use Jackson where he is good enough as the 2nd ruck but offers a marking target forward of centre and in transition.

RichoMan28

#GoTiges
Mar 21, 2010
Wouldn’t surprise me that we play more big men than in past.
Tarrant, Grimes, Broad as key defenders. Both Broad and Grimes have elite speed and can play small.

Jack and Lynch at full forward. Balta may start there, or back depending on match ups.

That leaves Nank and Soldo. One to take the first contest and then sit behind the play. Think Nank in that Port final.
The other to ruck around the ground.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I don't think Gawn and Jackson would lose much sleep over taking them both on, which isn't to say they wouldn't give a good account of themselves, but I think both sides would back themselves. I see Nankervis and Soldo together making us more competitive in the ruck contests, not around the ground.

Gawn or Jackson would be much more uncomfortable drifting forward with Balta's ability to intercept mark on them and they would be really uncomfortable if he took them forward, you couldn't say the same for either Nankervis or Soldo.

And Lever would be delighted to see Nankervis or Soldo as the third tall forward, he will go to them and just hit the contest all day because the risk of them marking the footy is minimal.
Reckon Nank would make him less than delighted to be playing on him

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I don't see room for both, I'm playing Nankervis.

I don't really see how they play if Balta is back anyway because neither of them are good enough up forward.
Our biggest issue has been winning clearances. Soldo and Nank are the key to getting us back to being very competitive in that area.

I just can’t see both not playing. Others will get sacrificed before Soldo.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
But they have both been rucking for us over the past 5 years when we have been beaten in clearances by everyone so how does that change?

Don't forget Soldo is coming back from a knee as well which is a huge factor for a big man like him.
Yeah I don’t see Soldo making as big a difference as some are thinking either. Certainly it’ll be beneficial to have him back, for sure, but how much ? Meh. Not sure. Especially coming off a knee reco.

We won in 17 and 20 (essentially) with one ruckman. Statistically, over time, there’s no real correlation between winning tap outs and clearances. What you need your ruckman to do to be of real value, is to take a grab, defend the hole, gather a reasonable amount of possessions and kick a goal if they can. Not sure Soldo adds much on that collective basis.

Good for Soldo to be a chop out for Nank. Not expecting that much more from him personally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Yeah, if our hopes this year largely depends on Soldo's on field contribution this season then I think that explains where the list currently stands

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
But they have both been rucking for us over the past 5 years when we have been beaten in clearances by everyone so how does that change?

Don't forget Soldo is coming back from a knee as well which is a huge factor for a big man like him.

Im pretty sure weve been winning clearances

Every August and September and October.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

fargothegreat

Tiger Cub
Sep 10, 2014
Our biggest issue has been winning clearances. Soldo and Nank are the key to getting us back to being very competitive in that area.

I just can’t see both not playing. Others will get sacrificed before Soldo.
I don't think not winning clearances is the issue. It's letting the opposition win too many clean clearances. We've always set up to win games on turnover (as most sides do), but you can't turn the ball over if the oppo's forwards are getting perfect delivery all day long.

Reactions: 4 users