Be sensible... list for next year | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Be sensible... list for next year

Tiger_clairvoyant

I'm a llama!
Aug 24, 2003
Heres an attempt.... please bear in mind this list is taking into account the double speak and general crap coming out of our beloved punt rd of late.... you all know what I mean by that...

Camo gone
Bidders gone
King gone
Nichols gone
Mills (should be gone but whoever knows)
Pickering gone (rookie list)
and choose one or two of Rogers ( may be tapped on the shoulder or choose to retire) Houlihan ( who I feel they may keep on the 'cant get all of the duds off the list in one year'proviso) this could also apply to Hilton and Pettifer and Vardy (who as many people say may be a handy back up and atleast gives his all and provides a good honest contest without shirking the issue, but if with all the injuries he didnt get arun he will probably go)
So say 2 of the above....

That makes only six or seven spots available.. which means NOT ENOUGH!! As we are short on the list and as I see it will more than likely draft Shir and Moore onto the senior list and taking into account we have already added young Tom Roach that would take us down to 4 draft picks,,, not enough!!.
lets hope we can trade into some draft picks and/or swap 2 duds for 1 decent player or a better draft pick or whatever will see us placed better to secure the best available talent with the 5 0r 6 picks we will end up with... more if you include picks 60 plus....

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
If you support Nicholls, you really have a drug problem. Give up the bongs immediately!!!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
BillyNicholls said:
BGive Billy a chance to prove himself the rest are rest are useless.

This has gotta be a first. A player getting on a supporter website and giving himself a wrap. Either that or it's his mum as they're the only people in the world who could possibly think Billy Nicholls is up to AFL standard.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
It seems the club drafted Nichols & Flemming to bolster the mid field in & under hard at it types, to free up Johnson, Coughlan, Tivendale etc to add run & carry the ball. Unfortunately Nichols & Flemming didn't have the skills to match their endeavour. Both had bad luck with injury & suspension (more bad judgement here me-thinks). At leasy Flemming played 16 games & Nichols 8-10, I doubt theyed have got 26 games out of two 18 y.o. draftees.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
IMO going by player numbers, and rating those that have come up with ?'s on this board. Please feel free to give it to me for my opinions, makes for healthy discussion:

1. Rory Hilton
One player that we could get mighty improvement from if used correctly - back flank or pocket running straight at the ball. Also not scared to cut off the lead of a full forward. Good skills to move the ball forward.

When used forward, like everyone else in the forward line - looses confidence because of poor opportunities -KEEP

3. D Kellaway
Would keep for another yr. Not only cut Sam mitchell our on Sunday, but did a job on Stewie Dew the previous week.

The downside of course being his skills - and this is one BIG downside. Have to bear in mind he had no pre-season, and every game played was basically back from injury. Need players to run past in support when he has the ball.

invaluable against Pies or Essendon coz he can do the job on Buckley and Hird.

But gawd, the skills.....................

4. Matty Rogers
Getting worse. I think he has to go and i admit i think he's been a good servant in the past - gives you a competition but is in career worst form and seemingly getting worse. ----Delist----

7. Mark Dragacevic
Given that after returning from a knee, he had chronic shin soreness and couldn't train properly - worth another year. Still young, good skills and as good a bet as any draftee.

8. Kayne Pettifer
I've seen young guys come into league football and strut around like they are the next Brownlow medalist. They are good, and they know it.
But i've never seen one strut around when he can't get a kick - That's new. Thought that maybe we should keep him for novelty value, but nope ---Delist---

11. Joel Bowden
If there is one player i'd trade for draft picks, it would probably be Joel but i say that with reservations as i think our game plan as much as anything has effected his game.

Personally, i'd prefer we keep him, but use him in a Nathan Brown type role. Would kick as many as Brown IMO, and would'nt cost us a small nations GDP to secure - we already have him. Strong hands and well timed lead - good kick at goal. Why on earth haven't we used him like this in the past????

Still use as a mid-fielder say 50% of time.

12. Matty Richardson
I think everyone here knows my opinion on Richo. Trading Richo is the one thing that would see me re-consider buying a membership next year. It would P!SS ME THAT MUCH.

Won't state my logic on this as i've done it a million times on this forum board.

13. Justin Blumfield
Would have a Norm Smith medal if not taken off in the last qtr of a GF.

He didn't strain a quad, he tore it right off. This means NO training while it repairs.

A good pre-season and use him in the mid field, that's what he does best. Maybe swapping with Bowden ie. use these two in a duel role. Give each 50% time forward and in middle.

14. Aaron Fiora
USE ON THE WING WHERE HE CAN ATTACK - NOT DEFENCE WHERE HE'S SH!T

If used properly (given an attacking lisence) and left on the ground, i think he'd improve out of sight. Could be a player we'd get real team lifting improvement from.

Can kick long running goals just like Tiva, and can take a grab. Not enough body pressence for a defensive role.

15. L.Cameron ---Retired---

16. Ben Holland
Don't forget Ben was also fresh back from a year out.
Important to find a yard or 2 in pace over pre-season to improve his versatility - ie so he can man bigger forwards that have some toe. Too slow off the mark to ever consider for full-back, but played good attacking football from CHB in the past. Don't forget that Sheeds played Scott Lucas on the boundary line just to drag Ben out of the play during a Qualifying Final.

However, Ben Holland would have trade value and open a hole in our salary cap.

19. Tim Flemming
Goes hard at it, and despite what i've read on these boards i feel his skills are pretty good.
Was getting better as the year went on. - Keep

20. Ray Hall
Possible trade bait but i'd like to see him given a role next year. Possibly as a running attacking CHB (though running and attacking are not in Frawley's vocab!)
With Hall fit, there'd suddenly be competition for spots in the team for the talls. ie i think Hall and Holland would by vying for the same sort of role although Hall has the ruck as an extra string to his bow.

21 Clinton King
His positives are not good enough to justify keeping considering his poor skills ---Delist---

22. Craig Biddiscombe
Hasn't made an impression. Skills have faded over last 12 to 18 months. ---delist---

23. Daniel Sipthorp
Keep as we don't have any one else on the list with the first name "Daniel" - it's a really good name for a footballer!

Seriously, i hope the fact that he wasn't getting a game for Coburg has something to do with study and not ability coz we gotta keep him another year anyway.

24. Mark Coughlan
Too much ability for our team and the girls don't like him. A mercy delisting. Awww, ok we'll keep him a little while longer then.

26. Bill Nicholls
How can you defend this guy. Would probably be hard at the ball if he was quick enough to catch up with it.

Not a bad last game, but i didn't think he rated in our best. I simply don't believe you can keep a player that's only 183cm tall and slow in todays football. An exception would be Brodders coz of his hand speed, but Nicholls is NO Brodders and anyway, i reckon Brodders could give Billy 10 yards and still catch him running backwards while tied to Ben Holland.

To the new poster by the name "Billy Nicholls" - why do you talk in the third person when describing yourself?

Would consider keeping if Halloween was celebrated during the season as then Billy might be useful for something. But it ain't ---delist---

30. Martin McGrath
Give the kid a go. No wonder he's loosing his desire for the game. I would too if i saw hacks like Houlihan getting a gig in front of me.

31. Chris Hyde
Give another year to prove himself. Some bad decision making against Port, but he was getting the ball. Played in a defensive role against the Hawks. If we keep him on though, have to give him a go otherwise what's the use.

34. Andrew Mills
Hasn't had the opportunities, but maybe lacks a yard considering his size and ability ---delist---

44. Adam Houlihan
All the ability in the world. Shows freakish skills and then coughs it up or misses gimme goals.

But worst of all, can't get where the ball is often enough. If you can't read the play by 20, then you never will - and Houlihan is like 25, NO HOPE!. This isn't something that's taught! ---delist---

SUMMARY :

Delistings / Retirements

Rogers
Pettifer
Cameron
King
Biddiscombe
Nicholls
Mills
Houlihan

We had two spots available on the list already! These 8 delistings gives us 10 spots on a FULL list. Tom Roach has one already. The scary thing is, this is probably too many delistings!!

As things stand, we have i think pick 6,22,38,54,70,86 - and whatever is left. Either the 2nd or 3rd has gone to Tom Roach.

Looks bleak huh!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
frickenel said:
3. D Kellaway
Would keep for another yr. Not only cut Sam mitchell our on Sunday, but did a job on Stewie Dew the previous week.

Phew frickenel, lucky you had the correct comments there. Could have been the end of a beautiful friendship otherwise. :-* ;D

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Since Frawley is at the helm next year I have come up with this list.

King - Keep. Misunderstood footballer with deceptive pace and excellent footskills.

Biddiscombe - Keep. Top Bloke, Cooks a mean Barbie.

Pettifer - Keep. His commitment is unquestionable and is pretty good at needlepoint and crochet.

Richardson - Keep. Cool, diplomatic, even temperament and true leadership qualities.

Rogers - Keep. Just peaking performance wise and tells a pretty good joke.

Nicholls - Keep. Lean mean, quick as a whippet and is on a first name basis with the Richmond McDonalds store manager. So if you need a buy one get one free voucher, He's da man.

Houlihan - Keep. The thinking mans footballer and makes a wicked lemon meringue tart.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Tiga, thats a terriffic assessment, should send it in to Greg Miller.
Maybe it is part of Richmonds membership drive to offer discount at McDonalds for members?
We might have the BILLY MEAL as well.
Thats two quarters pounders stacked one on top of the other ;)

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
jackstar said:
We might have the BILLY MEAL as well.
Thats two quarters pounders stacked one on top of the other ;)

ROFLMFAOOOOOO! Jackstar! ;D ;D ;D That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time! ;D ;D

What happens if you supersize it??? ;D

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Frick, I agree with your reasoning, though you did suck me in for just a sec about Cogs.
On Flemmming, don't know enough about him, haven't seen enough of him for a judgement.
Fiora I would like to see on HF flank - if he was on wing he would have to get into defence on a regular basis, if only to cover his man.