Ben Brown dropped by NMFC on the death of his prospective child. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ben Brown dropped by NMFC on the death of his prospective child.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
This actually happened. In 2020. One of the Brown twins pronounced [technical term for] dead.

Brown's partner would carry the deceased foetus to term.

Does any of this sound good to anybody?

Brown was dropped just after the announcement of the moment of Hester McKinnon realising she would carry a dead baby and hopefully, a living child - to birth.

Drop Ben Brown. So he could learn a life lesson? Have you read Rhyce Shaw on this?

It's wrong.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Man the mind boggles. Surely it was take a game off on compassionate grounds?

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
This actually happened. In 2020. One of the Brown twins pronounced [technical term for] dead.

Brown's partner would carry the deceased foetus to term.

Does any of this sound good to anybody?

Brown was dropped just after the announcement of the moment of Hester McKinnon realising she would carry a dead baby and hopefully, a living child - to birth.

Drop Ben Brown. So he could learn a life lesson? Have you read Rhyce Shaw on this?

It's wrong.
Bit dramatic. He'd been playing badly, and wasn't picked for the team. He wasn't fired or even suspended from the club, just not selected to play. Still got paid. He was then selected the following week. I totally agree they could have eased into it on the basis of personal leave, except that I suspect Brown (who was in the hub) likely wanted to play. I personally can't see why someone would be triggered by this, even the media (who are triggered by everything) didn't make a big deal about it.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Condolences to Ben and his partner, I hope the other twin is born without any complications.

In regards to his form, he has fallen out of favour with the umpires and a lot of his goals come from free kicks.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Bit dramatic. He'd been playing badly, and wasn't picked for the team. He wasn't fired or even suspended from the club, just not selected to play. Still got paid. He was then selected the following week. I totally agree they could have eased into it on the basis of personal leave, except that I suspect Brown (who was in the hub) likely wanted to play. I personally can't see why someone would be triggered by this, even the media (who are triggered by everything) didn't make a big deal about it.
Not speaking for @Dyer'ere but I think the point is around how it was publicly (mis)handled by the club.

This was a chance for North Melbourne to show the world what it stood for. Compassion, warmth, kindness were the option.

Instead, they totally bungled it.

Rather than put an arm around him and either (a) select the guy to give him something other than his personal tragedy to dwell upon or (b) gently suggest he take a couple of weeks' leave and publicly announce as much...

...they dropped him and made ill-thought out comments about his form.

FFS, it was remarkable he even presented to play under the circumstances.

In terms of the only benchmark that matters in 2020: it wouldn't've happened at Richmond.

Right now, North Melbourne is the AMP of the AFL. Can't do anything right.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It's a tragedy. Carrying a child who is dead in utero must be devastating for the parents.

Of course we don't know if they wanted it to be in the public domain

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
It was reported the week it happened. It's a disgrace in my opinion. In any other workplace, you'd be entitled to family leave and you'd be mightily pissed if your boss knowingly chose that moment to give you a negative performance review.

Reactions: 7 users