Ben Cousins a Tiger (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ben Cousins a Tiger (Merged)

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Report on abc2 that he is to be picked up by the Tiges as a mature aged rookie ...8 week trial.

Re: Ben Cousins a tiger?

It's being discussed on the Rumour Board achilles.  Terry has said we can't do it under the current rules because you can only have 1 mature aged rookie and we already have Silvestor.

How would an 8 week trial work anyway? If it wasn't successful wouldn't that leave us a player short?

rickyvaughn99 said:
Hmmmm Sylvester......or Cousins.....tough choice this one

A brownlow medallist and premiership captain vs a VFL standard battling defender. Gee, how do you choose?

rickyvaughn99 said:
.....tough choice this one

But is it a choice if we already had the one mature aged rookie spot tied up?

Like I said on the rumour thread

A 30 year old drug addict with bad hammies, hasn't played for 15 months, and an ego the size of the MCG.

Hmmmmm. Come on guys, If this was't so serious it would be amusing.

NO WAY!!!

I'm not keen on Cousins myself.

I recognise he has been a Champion of the game but the drug issue/influence/his lifestyle aside, I also think he will stunt the development of our midfield too much.

I'm not buying this, his a good trainer/can mentor our midfielders aspect of him. Whatever good he does on that front would be largely overshadowed by the lack of game time/development.

We already have Johnson in the side, wether you agree with it or not, you have to expect him to be in our starting 22. How are we going to fit our emerging midfield, reward young talent in VFL with a spot of they earn it AND make a place for new talent like Thomson/Hislop, if we have Cousins and Johnson running around in the side.

I just feel the cons outweight the pros with Cousins.

At a glance it's a seductive opportunity, sure, he would improve our side next year if we can keep him healthy (in mind and body!)...

But long term..

1) His battling addiction, a battle he by all evidence, has been struggling with. It's certainly early days for him still.
2) I suspect he will be ripe for soft tissue injuries and question how much he will play
3) Takes a spot for emerging players (development aside, what if a emerging midfielder decides to do a Prismal and leaves because of lack of opportunity, players found it hard enough to break into side from VFL this year without making it harder next)
4) His lifestyle could very well be suspect, based on the amount of clubs who have looked into him in detail and passed now
5) The media attention/hype on him rather than the team will be most distracting
6) as as a good influence there is a possibility he cold be a bad influence is that worth the risk on Cotchn and Co. ?

I see the pros all short term, other than the fact if he stays healthy he will be a work ethic example, can teach a few tricks.

I wish him the best and a part of me would be excited to get him, his been such a quality player, but overall I think we have to concentrate on our long term vision/goal and Ben isn't in it.

We'd be the talk of the town the whole year.

Do it.

By the way people carry on about this guy you'd think he killed their mother...

If you were to take on Cousins then a 8 week rookie trial is a brilliant way to do it.

It eliminates a lot of the risks that could arise.

As for Silvester, how much is it to pay out a rookie? 30g?

That's nothing when you consider the potential amount Cousins should cost.

Been thinking about this for a long time and have considered all the angles without passing comment until now.

Richmond should draft Cousins. Probably have to be in the PSD but mature age rookie if necessary, although I don't really see the point in this as we will want him off the rookie list for the start of the season.

The Cousins issue comes down to this for me. If Ben was married with 2 kids and had gone on TV and said sorry, every club would probably be after him. So we are perpetuating a double standard for Ben because he still appears to be an indipendant, confident man unaffraid of public opinion. We hate this. We don't feel sorry for him, we actually want him to come down a peg in good old tall poppy fashion. He has done wrong, admitted it, done his time and now wants to play. I have no problem with him in a Tiger jumper. Will he be a better player for us than a last round draft pick? Obviously the answer is yes.

I agree, if it doesnt work out whats been lost?? delist him no big deal. If it does work out look at the gains...

Am I right to believe that the AFL havn't been testing Ben through the last 12 months, (since we were ripped off in regard to his position as no1 draft pick in the 07 PSD)? And that they only tested him just before the Commission considered his application to re-register.

Heck he jumped ship in LA and returned to Aust and so far as I am aware, hasn't entered rehab in Aust or elsewhere since. If so it is no wonder clubs are running away.

IMO just really badly handled by the AFLand its advisers.

Given that he is/was a great perhaps top 22 over the last 50 years, I still believe it is a great pity he didnt get to us 12 months ago. If he had I have absolutely no doubt that he would have dropped off the map before the 08 season commenced OR would now be a contender for our 09 leadership group.

Many will disagree but I as a result of the AFL's lack of care no one really has any idea where he is at the moment.

8 weeks on our list to sort him out would certainly get a tick from me.

I think it actually would be a good move. Ben is nicely wedged under the microscope, if he stuffs up again, we are simply the good guys trying to give him an even break. OTOH if he comes good and gets his act together he could be Richmonds Judd, a huge boost of class to our midfield!

Do it Tiges!!