Best 22 of the combined 3 Flags ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best 22 of the combined 3 Flags ?

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
One of those off season bored thoughts

Who would be your ultimate flag winning Tiger teams of 2017, 2019 & 2020 ?

FB Vlaustin Astbury Grimes

HB Broad Rance Houli

C KMac Prestia Edwards

HF Lambert Lynch Rioli

FF Bolton Reiwoldt Townsend

R Nankervis Martin Cotchin

I Grigg Short Baker Caddy Balta

Highly doubtful but maybe Towner dosent get a game :cool:

Reactions: 4 users
Grimes Astbury Vlastuin

Broad Rance Houli

McIntosh Prestia Lambert

Edwards Lynch Castagna

D Rioli Riewoldt Bolton

IC Baker Graham Balta Short

Em: Grigg, Pickett, Caddy

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
One of those off season bored thoughts

Who would be your ultimate flag winning Tiger teams of 2017, 2019 & 2020 ?

FB Vlaustin Astbury Grimes

HB Broad Rance Houli

C KMac Prestia Edwards

HF Lambert Lynch Rioli

FF Bolton Reiwoldt Townsend

I Grigg Short Baker Caddy Balta

Highly doubtful but maybe Towner dosent get a game :cool:
I think Butler's speed and flair helped ignite the way we played in 2017 and I would have him in ahead of Towner - also would have Castagna ahead of Towner. Probably would have Jack G ahead of Grigg too, other than that touche'

Interesting question...

B: Grimes, Astbury, Broad
HB: Vlastuin, Rance, Houli
C: McIntosh, Prestia, Caddy
HF: Edwards, Reiwoldt, Lambert
F: Castagna, Lynch, Rioli
R: Nankervis, Martin, Cotchin
Int: Short, Balta, Graham, Bolton
Emergency: Baker, Grigg, Pickett, Butler

Some may think Caddy is lucky over Bolton. Whilst I think Bolton is clearly a better player, in those Grand Finals, I have Caddy ahead of him.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting exercise. Do you pick the players who played the best in the grand finals or those who contributed most to the dynasty?

I'll go for what I think would make the best team, with weighting to GF performances. And it's 23 a side now, so that's how many I'm picking. (I notice Mr B had 23 in his best 22 also.)

B: Grimes Rance Astbury
HB: Vlastuin Broad Houli
C: Pickett Martin Caddy
HF: Lambert Edwards Bolton
F: Rioli Lynch Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I: Short Graham Castagna Grigg Balta
E: Baker McIntosh Butler Ellis

Tough to leave out Baker. It was down to him or Balta and I felt Balta's move into the ruck just before half time of the 2020 grand final was more impactful than anything Bakes did in a grand final. Balta also gives me cover in every area and position.

I know Grigg was only a oncer and with Balta in I don't need him to play second ruck, but like Rance his leadership and smarts helped establish the dynasty. I want hard runners on the bench, and he was also a legit stoppage mid. Bakes, for all I love him, is a small flanker at the level, and I have Lambert, Bolton, Rioli, Houli and Short already.

Some may think Caddy is lucky over Bolton. Whilst I think Bolton is clearly a better player, in those Grand Finals, I have Caddy ahead of him.
You need to rewatch the 2020 grand final. Bolton was in the best handful on the ground.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Butler's speed and flair helped ignite the way we played in 2017 and I would have him in ahead of Towner - also would have Castagna ahead of Towner. Probably would have Jack G ahead of Grigg too, other than that touche'
Martin is lucky to be in front of Towner :)) ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting question...

B: Grimes, Astbury, Broad
HB: Vlastuin, Rance, Houli
C: McIntosh, Prestia, Caddy
HF: Edwards, Reiwoldt, Lambert
F: Castagna, Lynch, Rioli
R: Nankervis, Martin, Cotchin
Int: Short, Balta, Graham, Bolton
Emergency: Baker, Grigg, Pickett, Butler

Caddy was huge in 2 of our flags

Reactions: 7 users
Interesting exercise. Do you pick the players who played the best in the grand finals or those who contributed most to the dynasty?

I'll go for what I think would make the best team, with weighting to GF performances. And it's 23 a side now, so that's how many I'm picking. (I notice Mr B had 23 in his best 22 also.)

B: Grimes Rance Astbury
HB: Vlastuin Broad Houli
C: Pickett Martin Caddy
HF: Lambert Edwards Bolton
F: Rioli Lynch Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I: Short Graham Castagna Grigg Balta
E: Baker McIntosh Butler Ellis

Tough to leave out Baker. It was down to him or Balta and I felt Balta's move into the ruck just before half time of the 2020 grand final was more impactful than anything Bakes did in a grand final. Balta also gives me cover in every area and position.

I know Grigg was only a oncer and with Balta in I don't need him to play second ruck, but like Rance his leadership and smarts helped establish the dynasty. I want hard runners on the bench, and he was also a legit stoppage mid. Bakes, for all I love him, is a small flanker at the level, and I have Lambert, Bolton, Rioli, Houli and Short already.

You need to rewatch the 2020 grand final. Bolton was in the best handful on the ground.
I had to squeeze Towner into the 18 :)) You don’t start Towner on the bench , he’d eat it

• Haha
There were only 22 in the squad for those grand finals. No sub.
I'm just going with the OP.

The best 22 we put out on grand final day was arguably 2019. That team won the last 12 in a row, culminating in an interstate qualifying final win, a tough, come from behind, injury-struck win against the second-best team in the prelim, and a dominant performance on the big day. You could argue the 2020 side was the best, and it certainly climbed the highest mountain.

Changes from one flag to the next:

2017-19
Out: Rance, Townsend, McIntosh, Butler, Grigg, Graham
In: Lynch, Bolton, Baker, Pickett, Soldo, Short.

Even without Rance I think the 2019 side was stronger.

2019-20
Out: Caddy, Ellis, Soldo
In: McIntosh, Balta, Graham

Line-ball.

I'd go with all the players in the 2017 team.

They were the epitome of a team, and delivered the most unexpected flag against, IMO, the best opponent out of the three flags.

I'd back that team against any team. The obvious inclusion would be Lynch, and then possibly a second ruckman (with all due respect to Grigga).

But even still, that 2017 combination just found a way, and as Wayne Carey said at the time, "Their gameplan just stands up in finals footy.

So 2017 for me no changes.

Reactions: 4 users
It's a great discussion / question albeit as some rightly ask - are we judging based on performance in respective GF games or holistic contribution over the seasons,

I think we seem to agree that Butler and Castagna must be considered in the discussion

Whether that means Towner is dropped etc is the debate........

Grimes Astbury Baker
Short BigV Broad
Bulter Prestia Rioli
Caddy Lynch Castagna
Bolton Riewoldt Edwards
Nakas Cotchin Martin

Houli Balta Townsend Graham

No to Rance
Others played in 2 & 3.
Lambert for Towner.
Balta played in 1?
As did Butler (not a wingman), Baker, Townsend and Rioli on a wing?

You're certainly cut from a different cloth with that thinking.