Boxing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Boxing

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Hearns supposedly broke his right hand in the first round. He should have boxed and danced from then on but it wasn't the only time he got drawn into a slugfest when discretion would have been the better part of valor.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Tims defense is still ordinary. A bunch of those jabs he took today he had his gloves near his ears and was very open to being picked off. Granted it was gonna be hard with that reach difference but still. Big puncher like his dad, but also like his dad, susceptible defensively. Be better for that type of run hopefully.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Tims defense is still ordinary. A bunch of those jabs he took today he had his gloves near his ears and was very open to being picked off. Granted it was gonna be hard with that reach difference but still. Big puncher like his dad, but also like his dad, susceptible defensively. Be better for that type of run hopefully.
I didn’t read the small print. Was there a rematch clause with Fundora’s management? Or does Tim find himself on the outer for a while, having to work his way back into contention against a bunch of other up and comers?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I didn’t read the small print. Was there a rematch clause with Fundora’s management? Or does Tim find himself on the outer for a while, having to work his way back into contention against a bunch of other up and comers?
Yep, he's got a rematch clause.
*smile* weekend for Aussie boxing Wilson, Tszyu n Zerafa all got smacked in title bouts.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The cut changed the fight. Tzsyu was punching his head in for the first two rounds, then Fundora got an extended breather while they dealt with Tim's cut, then Tim had blood in his eyes for 10 rounds.

His dad got knocked out at a similar point in his career and was dominant for years afterwards. He'll be back.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The cut changed the fight. Tzsyu was punching his head in for the first two rounds, then Fundora got an extended breather while they dealt with Tim's cut, then Tim had blood in his eyes for 10 rounds.

His dad got knocked out at a similar point in his career and was dominant for years afterwards. He'll be back.
They should have stopped that fight, really. The cut on his head must have been about 1.5 inches long and it was deep. Who knows how close that was to something important.

Fundora himself was badly beaten up. His nose was broken so badly they couldn’t stop the blood either. At the end of the fight his nose was like a tap. Blood was gushing out everywhere when they went to the result in the middle of the ring.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah, I'm not sure of what would have happened if they'd stopped it after R2. No contest? Or would Tszyu have won as he would have been ahead on points?

Tszyu was pretty ballsy taking on such a different and awkward customer than what he was preparing for just 12 days out from the fight. He's game for anything.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah, I'm not sure of what would have happened if they'd stopped it after R2. No contest? Or would Tszyu have won as he would have been ahead on points?

Tszyu was pretty ballsy taking on such a different and awkward customer than what he was preparing for just 12 days out from the fight. He's game for anything.
Dunno. But check the very end of this out. Watch Fundora closely with his head bowed and the rate of blood flow coming out of his nose.

Brutal fight. Absolutely brutal.

Credit to Fundora for coming out to some Ramstein music !

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Gee clear from those highlights that the cut completely changed the fight. Tszuyu couldn't see. He had Fundora in trouble. As spook pointed out the extra rest and the poor visibility changed the momentum.

Tough effort from both fighters, should be a great rematch.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
If you wanna see more brutal, go watch Jake LaMotta v Sugar Ray Robinson fight 6. Their final fight against each other. This is the fight that LaMotta’s beating is based on in the movie Raging Bull. Rounds 9 to 13 are like nothing any human should be able to absorb.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, no contest I believe is the protocol if a stoppage of that type occurs within the first 4 rounds.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Gee clear from those highlights that the cut completely changed the fight. Tszuyu couldn't see. He had Fundora in trouble. As spook pointed out the extra rest and the poor visibility changed the momentum.

Tough effort from both fighters, should be a great rematch.
They should have stopped that fight, really. The cut on his head must have been about 1.5 inches long and it was deep. Who knows how close that was to something important.

Fundora himself was badly beaten up. His nose was broken so badly they couldn’t stop the blood either. At the end of the fight his nose was like a tap. Blood was gushing out everywhere when they went to the result in the middle of the ring.
Yep, brutal fight.

Fundora copped some almighty straight rights to the face in the first two rounds. One of those two thunderous blows are likely culprits for the nose shattering.

Then as suggested. the accidental elbow to the top of Tszyu’s head changed the fight totally.

From that point on, Fundora just kept him at bay with scoring jabs. Didn’t really hurt Tim at all. Nothing of power. Just used the circumstances to intelligently keep Tszyu at bay.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Anyone watch the Nikita fight ? I’ve watched most of his others but didn’t watch this one last night. I heard he did his usual trick of copping a fair few but having the punching power to get through. Bit of Tszyu trait I reckon. Great punchers. Not so great defensively.

Don’t really rate Nikita.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone watch the Nikita fight ? I’ve watched most of his others but didn’t watch this one last night. I heard he did his usual trick of copping a fair few but having the punching power to get through. Bit of Tszyu trait I reckon. Great punchers. Not so great defensively.

Don’t really rate Nikita.
I watched the extended highlights. He wore a few but landed plenty more. Dominant victory, the other bloke was lucky to be standing at the end. Tough bugger. Thought Tszyu was a bit less reckless than he has been. Definitely his best opponent so far.

Kostya was great defensively as an amateur. After he turned pro and found out he could knock everyone out he thought, "I'll just do that then."

Watched Ryan Garcia beat Devin Haney - there was a turn-up. Reckon Haney wins a rematch if he keeps his head and doesn't get sucked into trying to go toe-to-toe like did in this fight.