Boxing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Boxing

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Tszyu vs Fundora an intriguing match up.

Fundora an awkward opponent.
Should be a ripping match, but I got me one stupid dodgy farce question. Tszyu just spends a couple of months training to fight some other bloke who unfortunately pulls a muscle and drops out. Five minutes later Fundora's lined up as a replacement in what is a title a unification bout.
We're not talking journeymen boxers who step into a ring anywhere anytime, these blokes are title holders, I can understand Tszyu not wanting to waste a couple of months of training and conditioning preparation work. But who or what has Fundora been preparing to fight over the last couple of months? The way the top line boxers work, there's no way anyone's gunna convince me that title holders just happily throw a belt up for grabs off a two week training base.
We know Tszyu is happy to go against any and all of the best contenders and if one bloke drops out, he'll take on the next in line, but always when he's done his preparation.
Has Fundora done a full preparation maybe knowing that the other bloke was suddenly going to tweak a nose hammy just before game day so that there's an unforeseen mismatch in the offing?

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Fundora was scheduled to fight on the undercard, so he's been in camp.

Mendoza stopped him and Tszyu dominated Mendoza. Tszyu in 7.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
its almost Dion Prestia V Sampson Ryan

173 V 197.

how does dion actually get near him?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Should be a ripping match, but I got me one stupid dodgy farce question. Tszyu just spends a couple of months training to fight some other bloke who unfortunately pulls a muscle and drops out. Five minutes later Fundora's lined up as a replacement in what is a title a unification bout.
We're not talking journeymen boxers who step into a ring anywhere anytime, these blokes are title holders, I can understand Tszyu not wanting to waste a couple of months of training and conditioning preparation work. But who or what has Fundora been preparing to fight over the last couple of months? The way the top line boxers work, there's no way anyone's gunna convince me that title holders just happily throw a belt up for grabs off a two week training base.
We know Tszyu is happy to go against any and all of the best contenders and if one bloke drops out, he'll take on the next in line, but always when he's done his preparation.
Has Fundora done a full preparation maybe knowing that the other bloke was suddenly going to tweak a nose hammy just before game day so that there's an unforeseen mismatch in the offing?
Tszyu rightly goes in as favourite. But at the same time, could be a danger fight.

Not long ago Fundora was a golden child on the rise. Steamrolling all before him. Considered a future opponent to Charlo. And then came his loss against Mendoza, which was considered very much an unexpected upset. Was it just a couple of lucky punches got through? That kind of situation? That loss kind of put him on the back burner. Been under the radar since.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Yeh, not sure Fundora has the knockout power to stop Tszyu. And Tszyu doesn't mind mixing it in close. Watched some of Fundora's Ocampo fight and he got hit plenty but his opponent didn't have the power Tszyu does.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Tszyu rightly goes in as favourite. But at the same time, could be a danger fight.

Not long ago Fundora was a golden child on the rise. Steamrolling all before him. Considered a future opponent to Charlo. And then came his loss against Mendoza, which was considered very much an unexpected upset. Was it just a couple of lucky punches got through? That kind of situation? That loss kind of put him on the back burner. Been under the radar since.
A lot of blokes attract hype on the way up. And you can see why, he's unbelievably tall and rangy for a super welterweight. But his hands aren't that quick and neither are his feet.Mendoza was all over him with pressure. Mendoza's tough but he doesn't hit as hard as Tim. And Fundora doesn’t hit as hard as either of them.

Yeh, not sure Fundora has the knockout power to stop Tszyu.
I don't think he does, unless Tszyu gets lazy or careless. No one in the division hits as hard as Tszyu. And his defence has improved. I see him walking Fundora down, while being defensively responsible, looking for the left hook like Mendoza cleaned him up with, and the big right hand.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
A lot of blokes attract hype on the way up. And you can see why, he's unbelievably tall and rangy for a super welterweight. But his hands aren't that quick and neither are his feet.Mendoza was all over him with pressure. Mendoza's tough but he doesn't hit as hard as Tim. And Fundora doesn’t hit as hard as either of them.

I don't think he does, unless Tszyu gets lazy or careless. No one in the division hits as hard as Tszyu. And his defence has improved. I see him walking Fundora down, while being defensively responsible, looking for the left hook like Mendoza cleaned him up with, and the big right hand.
I remember seeing Fundora a couple of years ago when he was on the rise. Thinking that I haven’t seen a bloke built like that in the middle divisions since Tommy Hearns.

Tommy probably hit a lot harder than Fundora. And was very quick with his hands too.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I remember seeing Fundora a couple of years ago when he was on the rise. Thinking that I haven’t seen a bloke built like that in the middle divisions since Tommy Hearns.

Tommy probably hit a lot harder than Fundora. And was very quick with his hands too.
One of my all time favourites

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Golden era. SRL, RD, Hitman, Hagler.
Add Mustafa Hamsho and Wilfred Benitez to that list too. Incredible depth where anyone of these blokes could beat each other on their day.

And was a more honest, courageous era where they continually challenged each other, to test themselves. As opposed to dodging, in order to maintain a perfect record.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Add Mustafa Hamsho and Wilfred Benitez to that list too. Incredible depth where anyone of these blokes could beat each other on their day.

And was a more honest, courageous era where they continually challenged each other, to test themselves, as opposed to dodging, in order to maintain a perfect record.
Hear hear Pink Panther. Indeed.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003

Seen a couple of Funguses fights, he goes fairly well with that long n laser jab, doesn't mind getting in close n banging when it's needed. Mendoza was pretty much losing every round to Fungus when he got lucky or Fungus got careless n he landed a hail Mary shot to save his arse. Reckon it'll be one hell of a fight n Tszyu is gunna need to wear some while working his way inside. He's absolutely relentless though n just destroys opponents with that inside body work n teeth rattling upper cuts.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I'll NEVER forget the first round of Hagler v Hearns.

Looked like them two didn't like one another very much. Straight up raw n savage as you could get in a boxing ring, skill n craft went out the door as soon as the bell rang.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Looked like them two didn't like one another very much. Straight up raw n savage as you could get in a boxing ring, skill n craft went out the door as soon as the bell rang.
Not like they really settled after the first round adrenaline died off either. Sure they fatigued somewhat, but craft stayed absent as they were determined to slug it out until someone got cancelled out. Both were skilled and capable enough of taking each other the distance, but the fight was only going to end one way with the tactics employed. And it was Tommy going down in the 3rd.

I remember seeing an interview with Marvin about this fight years later. And when asked whether Tommy’s punches hurt him. He said, something along the lines of……”sure he hits dam hard, but every time he hit me it just made me mad.”

Last edited: