Brando Compo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brando Compo

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
COMPENSATION
A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.
The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:
1. The new contract of the free agent
2. The age of the free agent
Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.
Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:
• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round
In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

Can see us getting screwed here

Reactions: 1 user
AFL will force us to give up our first pick + Brando and get an end of second rounder in return
AFL will be working hard behind thew scenes to stuff us anyway possible

That’s what the AFL do!
Rather, they say here’s the formula as imprecise as it is but lo and behold we don’t need the prescribed formula, we have an Expert Committee to make the determination.

What criteria are they required to uphold?

Oops, sorry it’s only a formula, there’s no precision required.

Make it up as you go along AFL , sentiment is what counts rather than accountability.

Let’s give a blue ribbon to any poster who accurately predict the compensation we will receive for losing B Ellis.

Rather, they say here’s the formula as imprecise as it is but lo and behold we don’t need the prescribed formula, we have an Expert Committee to make the determination.

What criteria are they required to uphold?

Oops, sorry it’s only a formula, there’s no precision required.

Make it up as you go along AFL , sentiment is what counts rather than accountability.

Let’s give a blue ribbon to any poster who accurately predict the compensation we will receive for losing B Ellis.
End of second round

Well, given that a second round compo pick and an end of second round pick are one and the same for us, I think that’s what we’ll get.

Since we won isn't a 2nd rounder the same as an end of 2nd rounder for us. I'm think that's the likely outcome so is that around pick 36 if so?

End of second round
We are being penalized for winning the flag. And I’m more than happy to have the chocolates on the last Saturday in September.

But, where’s the precedent for this? We are assessing the value of a player as a free agent on the open market, if such exists in the AFL.

The compensation should not be assessed on the strength of a club. The player is the commodity. And their contracts reflect that!

In applying the formula, an expert committe....

Questions here are
- how many experts are on this committee?
- what qualifications do the you need to be an expert on this committee?

• Haha
Since we won isn't a 2nd rounder the same as an end of 2nd rounder for us. I'm think that's the likely outcome so is that around pick 36 if so?
Closer to 40 once all the Suns concessions are factored in. Then further diluted by academy & FS picks. Probably end up about 60.

• Haha
Hocking: All right, all right settle down everyone, settle down. Craig, stop fiddling with your spreadsheets.
Hocking: Ok. The expert panel on Free Agency Compensation will come to order.
Hocking: For the minutes. Present we have Hocking S, chair, Cameron C, expert, Scott C, expert, Koch D, senior adviser, Dangerwood S&J, player welfare advisers.
Dangerfield: For the record we need to keep player health as a top priority and Kane Cornes is a *smile*.
Hocking: Yes, thankyou Paddy.
Selwood: Anyone got spare handkerchief?
Scott: Here you go my boy, oooh that's a nasty gash.
Selwood: Yeah walked into the door on the way in. Damn eyebrow won't stop bleeding.
Koch: I think I can hear the Richmond theme song. Did someone invite that prick Pyke?
Selwood: I can't hear anything.
Hocking: Ok enough chatter. We must decide on the compensation to Richmond for the Ellis free agency move to Gold Coast.
Cameron: What?
Koch: Who's Ellis?
Dangerfield: He's the thug that headbutted me in the finals in 2017. Didn't get a free kick either. I was complaining of pain for weeks after that game. All due to him.
Scott: I'd have to review the tape. 4 weeks I reckon would be fair.
Hocking: Shut up Paddy.
Dangerfield: *pouts* Glad I brought my crutches, you've hurt my feelings.
Hocking: Can we just get back to deciding on the compensation.
Hocking: He's in the top 10% of Richmond player payments for 2019.
Scott: Can we audit their payments? And request an overview of their gameplan? Make that a photocopy. Their 2020 gameplan that is.
Koch: What?
Hocking: What? No. Christ I hate these meetings. Lets just determine their compensation.
Koch: Port got nothing for the Buddy move to Sydney.
Hocking: Buddy played for the Hawks, David.
Koch: Nah! He was in our B&F and is widely regarded as the best player of his generation. Zero compo for us. Nada. Zip.
Hocking: David?
Koch: Yes?
Hocking: Shut the *smile* up.
Koch: Oh.
Hocking: Right can we focus please. Craig what are your thoughts?
Hocking: Thankyou Craig. Chris?
Scott: I don't think their 2019 win was as good as their 2018 loss to Collingwood. But I'd have to review their tapes. Also why do they get to play any home games at the MCG?
Hocking: Thanks for your input Chris. Paddy, Scott. You thoughts?
Dangerfield: Obviously we need to ensure the best for the player. Oooh - I've got a cramp! Ow. *falls off chair* Razor, Razor, free kick Dangerfield.
Selwood: I'm feeling a bit faint. Vision is narrowing. Going grey. Blood loss... *faints*
Hocking: Oh God.
Koch: Look at all that blood. I'm feeling a bit sick. *runs out of the room*
Scott: This isn't the time. *stands up and leaves with a withering glare at a mirror on the wall*
Hocking: Craig?
Cameron: *fiddles with excel* The stats say end of first round. But that doesn't make any sense. If they did then I'd be the coach of the 2019 premiers. So...
Hocking: yes?
Hocking: This was going so well. Craig focus. The spreadsheet. What does it say.
Cameron: Oh. Righto. Correcting for stochastic variations, including spline manipulation, deviation adjustment applied...
Hocking: yes?
Cameron: 2 first round picks. Pick 1 and pick 18.
Hocking: Really?
Cameron: Yes.
Hocking: *smile* that. Let the minutes show end of second round compo pick for free agent Ellis moving from Richmond to Gold Coast. Meeting adjourned.
Hocking: *presses button intercom* Cheryl?
Intrercom: *furble worble murble*
Hocking: Yes, please get the cleaners to remove the blood from the floor, the table, the chair and also ask them to drag Mr Selwood out and put him in a taxi. They can help Paddy as well. Tell them to watch out for his crutches, he can swing them about pretty good. Don't want a workers compensation claim on my plate. Oh and Cheryl? Please remove David's access privs to this level from his security card, the guy's a complete moron.
Intercom: *snurrrf*

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
The lack of any transparency with this compensation is an indictment on the AFL. How can there not be any criteria here?

If compensation is anything less than end of first round the club needs to ask questions and demand answers. If Rockliff and Motlop are end of first round I cannot see how Brandon could possibly be less. Especially with the contract he’s getting.

Reactions: 2 users