Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

So trying to understand why Ellis is so frustrating for supporters I took a close look at Ellis's first quarter and it is abundantly clear to me that he just doesn't have urgency. Whilst he does run high kilometres, it's when there's a ball to be won or a chase required or just needs to get back on a man to prevent them being an out option he shows absolute zero urgency, he just jogs around. Here is my review of quarter 1, did a couple of good basic things but overall just costly to us - contributed directly to 2 goals for Brisbane in that first.

clock at 20 mins: Ellis lines up on wing against Robinson
15: receives handball from Edwards & handball to Graham - simple decision - tick from me
15: Graham starting on wing, Ellis off
11: Ellis back on
11: Ellis ignores Brisbane player Berry on his own inside f50 on his outside to, I'm not sure what, fill a hole? Berry receives the ball for a shot on goal. Ellis stands the mark.
9: free to Tigers, advantage to Ellis, handball to Lambert - again simple decision - tick from me
9: Ball hits ground & ruckman Stef Martin beats Ellis in one on one to get team ball out to team mate - Ellis should be winning those contests on the ground
8: Raynor just runs away with the ball from Ellis - no determination whatsoever - just concedes
7: no urgency from Ellis to get back onto McCarthy as Brisbane looking for an out from backline. Ball goes over Ellis head to McCarthy. Then McCarthy just runs around wing side & no urgency from Ellis on the mark. Concedes.
5: Baker wins clearance, handball to Ellis who fumbles itwith outstretched arms under pressure (it was straight to his chest should have at very least held it in), instead ball spills to opp & Neale kicks a goal
2: Best & worst of Ellis in 1 play: Raynor streams forward, kick is smothered by Ellis. Fantastic work. Ellis then just stands & watches Raynor run past him to receives a kick from the smother rebound& shot on goal. Infuriating stuff. No urgency, no block, no awareness.
1: Ellis receives a handball fro Houli then gives a what 50cm handball to Short who gets collared and turned over. No awareness. Also Short's fault for calling for it.

The problem is he doesn't play the Tiger way. We are so used to our players hassling and pressuring at every opportunity. If you're in the vicinity hammer them, pressure them, niggle them. I understand he's predominantly an outside player but he contributed to 2 goals in just that 1st quarter and he's not even a backman. Crazy thing is I've seen him show an aggressive side, he can do it. I just don't know why he chooses to be, in effect, lazy. Yes he runs a long way but so does a marathon runner. It;'s not marathon runners we need. Only explanation I have is he's switched out, just going through the motions knowing he's leaving.

Reactions: 1 user
Many posters are piling in on Ellis and yes he had an average game but our All Australian in Houli did no better and not a peep out of these same posters on his poor performance,.

Didn't see Houli falling over when lightly bumped, consistently losing one-on-ones and shirking contests.

Houli had a relatively quiet game but wasn't a liability.

Reactions: 3 users
Didn't see Houli falling over when lightly bumped, consistently losing one-on-ones and shirking contests.

Lost a couple of mark one on ones (Neale and Raynor). Gee his disposal total takes a hit when he doesn't kick out :)

However overall he was solid enough . I think Baker, Short and Houli back does give us some good options rebounding. They all are exploitable in the air though. Baker also out marked one on one by Mccarthy

Lost a couple of mark one on ones (Neale and Raynor). Gee his disposal total takes a hit when he doesn't kick out :)

When I've reviewed kick outs it rarely added to more than 3 or 4 disposals. Tigers do share their kick outs around a bit. He just wasn't prevalent this game for some reason.

I think most are piling on Ellis because he clearly and obviously had a terrible game. I didn't notice it anywhere near as much with Houli even after watching the replay. Houli has had a ripper season so it is natural to forgive a game even if it was poor - which I don't believe it was. Two or three years ago Houli was getting just as much if not more. It's the build up effect and rightly so. No player has a blinder every game.

Houli has 1 bad game, otherwise is always reliable to win the ball and deliver it effectively, Ellis has had a handful of serviceable games when we are winning, has not been competing at all this season, his outside run is all he has to offer, if a ball is there to be won, 99/100 he loses it to the opposition.

Reactions: 1 users
Being able to run is useless if you can’t win a contest & be productive with the ball. The team genuinely would’ve been better off with one less rotation.

Reactions: 2 users
We all agree Ellis had a bad/ordinary game with 3 or 4 howler efforts but he somehow was still ranked and rated top 8 or better in disposals, efficiency and metres gained and his 3 clangers was about team average, yet some are gushing over JG, can anyone explain to me how JG gets cut slack with his role on neale at 37 very effective touches, 10 clearances and 2 goals v JG's shadowing role with his 14 touches, 0 clearances and 5 clangers, maybe im being a bit harsh on jack after seeing de boar blanket the bont... but i really didnt rate 7 or 8 of our boys on sat, yet it was all brandos fault...we were lucky in a way with lions inaccuracy and a masterclass from dusty, shedda, grima and dion.
Are you serious? If Ellis went half the places JG went he would die of fright. And as pointed out elsewhere JG stood Neale at only one stoppage. He made 2nd most tackles and led our pressure count. Fifty percent contested ball, Ellis had one contested possession.

Worst finals game from a Richmond player I can remember. Surely he gets dropped if others perform in the VFL prelim.

I wouldn't trust him as a teammate.

Bombers are expressing an interest in Brando, would be a recommendation from Rutten and Caracella.

Watch the game again Antman and you will see Houli falling over in marking contests and getting beaten in one on one contests.

The good thing about Bellis is that Brando is never too far away.

Maybe they made a deal? Bellis gets the Q final, Brando gets the prelim and they toss a coin if there's a GF to play?

I really feel for Brandon because unfortunately this thread has effectively become the disproportionate "We hate Brandon Ellis" thread imo. Very distasteful. Is this sort of thing appropriate for the PRE forum?. It is bordering on being on-line bullying by a few posters imo. Many AFL players and coaches have spoken in the last couple of years about an increasing problem in the AFL concerning mental health issues of players. There have been a few examples of AFL players having to step away from the game due to mental health issues. I certainly hope for Brandon's mental health sake that he never reads this thread.

It is the RFC match committee that selects Brandon in the team each week. I imagine that they think that the good stuff that Brandon can deliver in games outweighs any bad stuff.

I agree with the sentiment GD,

and I definitely dont like OTT personal attacks.

But if we wanted a forum that just said how great everybody is,

We'd sack Mr.T and get Brendon Bolton to moderate?

The good thing about Bellis is that Brando is never too far away.

Maybe they made a deal? Bellis gets the Q final, Brando gets the prelim and they toss a coin if there's a GF to play?

Make sure Brando gets to choose heads with the two-headed coin toss.

Bombers are expressing an interest in Brando, would be a recommendation from Rutten and Caracella.

Not sure about that. It was reported Bombers were interested in him in July.

Are you serious? If Ellis went half the places JG went he would die of fright. And as pointed out elsewhere JG stood Neale at only one stoppage. He made 2nd most tackles and led our pressure count. Fifty percent contested ball, Ellis had one contested possession.
Whatever mate,
if brando had 8 tackles, 14 touches and 5 clangers chasing around neale and zorko and struggling to keep up as what JG did against the lions, he would still get given plenty of crap.

Let me say I thought Ellis and Houli were both poor in the QF. Im in the hope Bellis stays crowd because of the service he has given to the club including a very good 2017 finals series. If he goes I do think we have legitimate yound players who could fill his spot so not a big deal one way or the other. I bag him at home sometimes watching the game but most most players get bagged for mistakes made during the game in our household.