Brandon Ellis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brandon Ellis

I'm sure about what i heard on SEN this morning.

Sure, my point is it was reported Essendon were interested long before Caracella announced he was joining. Would Caracella even be conversing with Essendon on who to poach from Richmond at this stage? You'd hope not. Caracella still has his job to do at the Tigers.

5: Baker wins clearance, handball to Ellis who fumbles itwith outstretched arms under pressure (it was straight to his chest should have at very least held it in), instead ball spills to opp & Neale kicks a goal

That handball from Baker to Ellis was the wrong option. The forward handpass to Rioli was the play and Baker simply panicked. It was a "here, you have it" handpass to Ellis, who wouldn't have expected such a poor option from Baker.

Sure, my point is it was reported Essendon were interested long before Caracella announced he was joining. Would Caracella even be conversing with Essendon on who to poach from Richmond at this stage? You'd hope not. Caracella still has his job to do at the Tigers.
Fair point.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't care how much people try to paint over his faults, he was crap on Saturday.

You could easily argue that he is crap most weeks but then again, he runs 2386 kms every match so I guess he stays in.

Watch the game again Antman and you will see Houli falling over in marking contests and getting beaten in one on one contests.

Sometimes people fall over, sometimes people get beaten. Ellis was very consistent in this, Houli was a mixed bag.

Whatever mate,
if brando had 8 tackles, 14 touches and 5 clangers chasing around neale and zorko and struggling to keep up as what JG did against the lions, he would still get given plenty of crap.
Did you actually watch the game....or are you just reading a stat sheet???

Graham's game was so far superior to Ellis' in every way you're just embarrassing yourself trying to compare the two!

.....and if Ellis ever had 8 tackles in a game we would probably all die of shock!

Reactions: 2 users
That handball from Baker to Ellis was the wrong option. The forward handpass to Rioli was the play and Baker simply panicked. It was a "here, you have it" handpass to Ellis, who wouldn't have expected such a poor option from Baker.

Yeah it's funny, every time Ellis fumbles it's the fault of the player who passed it to him. There was nothing wrong with the handball. Yes it was tight but Ellis felt pressure and of course as soon as he did he fumbled it. I don't buy the excuse that you don't expect a handball in that situation. That's the Tiger's game, quick handballs. You gotta expect it and you have to deal with it. Just another example of Ellis not being skilled enough for the Richmond game plan.

Heard just now that Gold Coast are looking to give Ellis a 4 or 5 year contract. He'd be best to grab it as soon as the ink dries.

Reactions: 1 users
Not the only time Ellis recently that Ellis has been chucked under the ambulance.

If Ellis is out the door, I’d prefer the club put finals games into someone like Ross.

If Ellis is so critically important to our plans, why aren’t we offering him enough money to stay?

Maybe it just comes down to salary cap... and powerball offers from other clubs.

If Ellis is out the door, I’d prefer the club put finals games into someone like Ross.

If Ellis is so critically important to our plans, why aren’t we offering him enough money to stay?

Maybe it just comes down to salary cap... and powerball offers from other clubs.

Think it was mentioned he's in top 10 paid at the Tigers. We have a tight cap and I certainly wouldn't be offering him a top 10 paid contract for another 4 or 5 years. That's apparently what Gold Coast are possibly putting on the table.

It comes down to money. He's currently in our top 10 highest payed players. We'd be stupid to offer him a contract in the top 10 again, so he should go.

.....and if Ellis ever had 8 tackles in a game we would probably all die of shock!
jack graham was not playing r6 v dees, ellis would have been instructed to tackle more and gut run less he did an laid a team high 8 tackles, and he also got a lot of the pill and used it well, brando can play multiple roles, JG is young and a tackling and pressure machine.

i stand by what i typed... both sub par performances from watching on tv, brandos bad plays were from weakish efforts, jacks 2 boys were easily lions best 2 runners and add some clumsiness by giving frees away and lack of experience where he let neale easily get goal side of him and maybe zorko too but from memory he missed

ellis was at fault there too but he copped a rushed handball that maybe he fumbled but it looked to me he wasnt in possesion and mitch rammed his back and threw him on the ground. im not that fussed that you really think as you probably dont rate ellis as much i do, and i dont rate Jack graham as highly as you do. if ellis is dropped i would be surprised but maybe he will be coz im not entirely disagreeing with you.

Yeah it's funny, every time Ellis fumbles it's the fault of the player who passed it to him. There was nothing wrong with the handball. Yes it was tight but Ellis felt pressure and of course as soon as he did he fumbled it. I don't buy the excuse that you don't expect a handball in that situation. That's the Tiger's game, quick handballs. You gotta expect it and you have to deal with it. Just another example of Ellis not being skilled enough for the Richmond game plan.

Actually, I don't reckon handballing to blokes under pressure is the Tigers' game plan. If you see the vision from behind the goals (shown during the ad break but available to view on Kayo), Rioli is forward of the play in acres of space with his arms outstretched appealing for the ball. Do you really reckon Baker's best option was to handpass 90cm when he had a much better option beyond the pack? Baker has a bit to learn in hot defensive situations, but he's new to the role so while he got that one wrong, he will learn from it.

It comes down to money. He's currently in our top 10 highest payed players. We'd be stupid to offer him a contract in the top 10 again, so he should go.
It’s time more than money. If there wasn’t a huge difference in the money most guys would stay for less. The issue is 4-5 years v 1-2 years. That’s the killer.

There's two aspects to this.

Brandon was putrid last weekend. There's no question, he was horrible under pressure. He's very, very rarely been any different. Why are we surprised? I know people who played footy with him all the way through his juniors and he wasn't any different then. It's not his football DNA. We need to accept the hard, tough, in close contested footy isn't his go. We're also not asking him to do that - we just don't want him to shirk the contests or spill things when we need him to be clean with the ball.

I'm not sure why people are comparing Ross and Graham with Ellis. They'll never be asked to do the same things. Compare Ross and Graham with Meatball, Dusty and Chimp. Apples with apples folks.

The real question is whether we'd get a more composed output from a similiar replacement to Ellis (Naish, Menadue, McIntosh, etc) or if we say Brandon has had a lot of good games playing the role we want him to play, so we'll back him to improve. I am very concerned about his ability to handle the pressure, particularly physical pressure. However the match committee may decide that his pros outweigh the cons.

Reactions: 2 users

thats ridiculous. You don't drop a 174 game premiership wingman for a first year midfielder in a Prelim.

because he's not worth what he's asking for. its not rocket science.

God this guy consumes some oxygen here. As I see it Brando is in a tight spot. We are only offering a short duration contract. Why? Because there are a number of players queueing up for his spot next year. He is I think not going to get any better. The MC would be fully aware of this. They have thrown a number of players around Caddy, KMac Baker Balta Shed etc around giving them another bow to their game and improving the sides flexibility. They have not done this with Brando presumably because he is one dimensional as a players. I suspect if he signs with RFC for 2 years at the end of that contract he would be close to delist territory. Some big decisions for Brando here.

What’s the chances of him going to another club and winning the Brownlow?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users