Brendon Gale | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brendon Gale

Simon Mathews looks to be the hot favourite to replace Brendon.
He has been at the club for a long time now, primarily as media manager, and as such it seems that he would be well versed in the Gale/Peggy way of doing things. He also comes across in a 2021 podcast (available through Google), as being entirely reasonable and well versed in issues concerning diversity and maintaining relationships within the club and with our partners outside. Very media savvy, careful and handling himself in a non McQuire way..
All good.

My problem is that while I suppose these qualities are very important in running a football club, I wonder if we
would be better served by someone who has shown the potential to be a little more combative.

Our new President apparently has a wide experience in the business field, but seems on current performance likely to be most effective when operating away from the lime light.
(Peggy on the other hand, had the advantage of coming in as quite unique in her background, which itself made her 'interesting', and coupled with her great integrity, and her happy knack of getting it right pretty much most of the time, she contributed significantly to the improvement of the Club's reputation).

We are now in a very different place than we were 3 years ago and quite deservedly, very close to the bottom of the ladder, and we will need to be very careful in the way in which we seek to improve. Not doing a North, but keeping enough talent and experience on our list while bringing encouragement and confidence to those who are inexperienced, including of course those yet to join.
Balta, Bolton, Dan, Dusty and NV all staying on are imo very important to that process.

Also a footballer to continue in the top job for these and a variety of other reasons.
Daniel Jackson is smart and able. Like to see him get it.

Reactions: 4 users
An Hall of Fame Footy Club operator. What a massive loss he is going to be

Reactions: 3 users
For those that missed Benny on SEN this afternoon. Just so impressive. We are going to miss him.

If we ever needed evidence of how much we will miss him that interview is it. So measured, so impressive. It is all still "we" when he talks about the tigers, he is clearly still invested.
Should be compulsory listening for all Tiger supporters (as well as nuff nuffs like Parrot and Karen). He talks about silver lining, we are going deep into the list and 3-4 youngsters will "pop" and add that to players currently injured and the draft hand we have the club is still well placed.
When asked about the parallels to when he took over and Dimma's first season he said that in some ways they are similar on the field but administratively and in terms of the strength of the footy club they are not.

Reactions: 8 users
I absolutely love Benny, but I just can't see that we have three or four youngsters with the ability to pop.

I absolutely love Benny, but I just can't see that we have three or four youngsters with the ability to pop.
It's interesting, sometimes players can just 'click' - did we see Castagna and Butler clicking in 2016? Butler half way through was sure delist material. It can happen, particularly when the players also start to understand a new game plan. Also note that GWS for example were 3 and 7 after round 10 last year.

Reactions: 1 user
It's interesting, sometimes players can just 'click' - did we see Castagna and Butler clicking in 2016? Butler half way through was sure delist material. It can happen, particularly when the players also start to understand a new game plan. Also note that GWS for example were 3 and 7 after round 10 last year.

both exceptionally quick.

we abandoned that trait.

Said it once and say it again, look no further than Joel Bowden.

Reactions: 1 users
Just on potential replacement & internal candidate Simon Matthews..writer Dugald Jellie is drawing attention to a few things on X regarding his personal dealings with him. I have no firm idea what exactly has unfolded or who was right in this particular circumstance but it certainly makes for interesting reading with big decisions looming for our football club.

Reactions: 2 users
Just on potential replacement & internal candidate Simon Matthews..writer Dugald Jellie is drawing attention to a few things on X regarding his personal dealings with him. I have no firm idea what exactly has unfolded or who was right in this particular circumstance but it certainly makes for interesting reading with big decisions looming for our football club.

He comes across as very bitter in that first article.

Yeah, nah, can’t see what is Dugalds problem. If you’re going to write a scathing article go ahead and write it but not this half arsed version where we don’t learn anything about what’s happened.

And having veiled swipes at Benny, Peggy and a Dimma, poor form.

Yeah, nah, can’t see what is Dugalds problem. If you’re going to write a scathing article go ahead and write it but not this half arsed version where we don’t learn anything about what’s happened.

And having veiled swipes at Benny, Peggy and a Dimma, poor form.
He says he’s going to divulge more but I agree atm it’s all over the place & does come across as bitter & self indulgent.

As someone who doesn't know who this guy is, every second sentence I was wondering "and?" Or "what's your point?".

If the most he's got is that Simmo is part of the AFL club & was rude once... Well, sorry he was rude to you, but between the umpire treatment & the punt road rebuild, we pobably need to be a lil more in favor with the boys club for the moment (unfortunately).

I mean, football is a corporate business now, and has been for a long time.

I don't particularly like aspects of that either, but Jellie seems to have just realised that and thinks it's new to us too. And yeah, corporates will use us when we are useful and dump us when we are not.

Seems like a great bloke through his community service but this is bitter stuff.