Meaningless disposals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Meaningless disposals

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
When Sam Walsh walks off the park with 40 disposals for 3 score involvements you can be certain that he wasn't good. (Cripps had 41 for 6.)

Walsh's side was soundly beaten by 9 scoring shots. Carlton thrashed in I50 47/65.

Walsh got 128 AFL points and 113 Supercoach.

I haven't seen the game and won't bother. But Im certain of one thing - Sam Walsh had a bad game. His game was central to Carlton's failure. If I bothered to watch the game I know I'll see Walsh running away from goal to acquire the ball and using away from goal.

It's not a moral thing. It's about value. Sam Walsh didn't get any value on the night.

37 meaningless disposals. That's big.

Reactions: 6 users
Talk about meaningless disposals, what about Nick Daicos - watch any of Colonwood's games and wait for him to run sideways of any player with the ball to get a cheap (and meaningless stat). Has also graduated to taking the kick ins so he can further boost his disposal stats. Was also lucky only to be fined by the MRP last weekend and therefore still eligible for Rising Star (which he will win easily) but ...........

Reactions: 1 user
Clayton Oliver 43D for 6SI in R13. His side well beaten. But I50 even in that game. Walsh holding sway for now.

Yep, the Real Footy podcast mentioned this too. Massive number of disposals by the Carlton mids, yet thrashed in inside 50 entries.

Pointless disposals, may they continue for evermore in opposition teams.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Without looking at numbers other's for Leysy

Darcy Parish
Jackson Macrae
Tom Mitchell
The Crouch Potatoes

Reactions: 7 users
Lachie Neale?
The absolute poster child game for meaningless v meaningful disposals was our R23 game v Brisbane in 2019. Neale 51 disposals, Dusty 21 and 2 goals. Dusty 7 score involvements, 6 inside 50s, Neale 5 and 3. At one point Neale had 4 disposals in 30 seconds as the Bears moved the ball from just behind the wing to *check notes* just behind the wing. Elite football. Look at those numbers.

Leigh Matthews commented that if you didn't look at the stats Dusty was clearly BOG. Of course, umpires look at the stats and thus Neale got 3 Brownlow votes and Dusty none.

(George 10 score involvements from 18 disposals btw.)

Reactions: 4 users
Without looking at numbers other's for Leysy

Darcy Parish
Jackson Macrae
Tom Mitchell
The Crouch Potatoes
Darcy Parish and the rest of the Essendon mids especially Zac Merrett and Dylan Shiel.

Silly question. Someone may know the answer.

Run 10 m with the ball and kick it 40m forwards equals 50m gained, yeah?

Does run 2 m backwards, handball 5 m backwards equal -7 metres gained? Does it then offset the metres gained figures? If a player did both of the above would his overall metres gained be 43 m or would it be 50 m?

My guess is negative metres don’t count because, if it did, some of those ”ball magnets” would have pretty embarrassing metres gained figures.

Trealor when at the pies had a game where he had something like 38 touches at 17% effective.
What a game

Reactions: 1 user
Backflip Stagerfraud kicked the ball out on the full five times in the 2017 qualifying final.

Reactions: 1 users
Tom Mitchell says hi
Seriously, when you get 50 possessions in a game and the opposition coach doesn’t think it’s worth tagging you because you won’t hurt them, it says a lot

Was also lucky only to be fined by the MRP last weekend and therefore still eligible for Rising Star (which he will win easily) but ...........
Not a surprise lets be honest.

He is the new prodigal son of a gun for the media to circle jerk themselves into a coma over.

Jabby Watson and Gazza Jnr are old news, Paul Hudson is long retired, SOS's son is a dud who has finally had his faux tuff guy balls drop and Glenn Archers kid is at Norf so on ones gives AF.

There's another legends son going around called Maurice that might just become something pretty great in a few years as well.

Last edited:
Darcy Parish and the rest of the Essendon mids especially Zac Merrett and Dylan Shiel.
Parish and Shiel didn’t play on the weekend, if Merrett hadn’t played they probably would’ve won by more.

• Haha
Trealor when at the pies had a game where he had something like 38 touches at 17% effective.
What a game
We missed a bullet him not choosing us.
I reckon we would be still waiting to win a flag if he chose us.
Most likely no Prestia
Most likely no Lynch
If he chose us

Reactions: 4 users