BRING ON WEST COAST!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

BRING ON WEST COAST!!!

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I Can't wait!!!! Watched snippets of the Collingwood v West Coast game and overall I wasn't that impressed with what I saw. West Coast rely heavily on Gardiner to give their players first use of the footy, and if he can be negated (as Collingwood successfully did in the second and third quarters) then the rest of the team really struggles. I hope Greg's knee holds up so that we can at least break even with the Weagles in the ruck department. If we do, I am very confident that we can come away wiht a win! Glad Cambo is going to be back, and not a moment too soon, we really struggled tonight in the midfield.

Agree John about the weagles. Gardiner is the key for them.

Hopefully Razor will be back also for the West Coast game to help Staff out. It would be great to get back him, Campbo and Houlihan next week.

In: Campbo, Hall, Houlihan.
Out: King, Vardy, Pettifer.

This will be a BIG test.

I think we undersell the WC a bit. Their midfield, whilst not the hardest going around is super quick, and if we are a bit lazy will run us ragged.

Gardiner is a key player as is Cousins, Wirrapunda, Kerr. Embly is playing well and Sampi is a little goal sneak.

The whole structure for the WC is pace and quick movement of the ball. Restrict the quick movement and we are halfway there.

One positive is they had hard a very tough much against the pies on a long road trip. Hope for a bit of tired legs.

On our side of the ledger, our midfield of Johnson, Cogs, Campbo, Bowden and Rodan is more than a match. Pace wise we are behind, but for in tight and smart movement we are right there if not better.

Ruck wise will test us. I would go for Staff in the middle and go with Hall/Vardy doing the majority around the ground allowing us to go tall in the forward line. Gardiner is a grab and wrestle ruck type. Let aguy like Vardy get a run up and jump and he will break even.

Our backline will have to be on, as they find their midfielders floating around the forward 50. Matera is slick, and needs to be nailed everythime he goes near the ball.

Richo and co should stretch the WC defenders, but it is how flexible we can be going into 50 that will determine the outcome. If we bomb to Richo we will lose. Their big defenders in Jacovich and McIntosh are old but experienced and need to be exposed for leg speed.

A big game and a very winable game.

To be 7-2 would be very nice motivation for the boys.

We have a pretty good road record to the West since Danny's been coaching.

We lost to the Dockers in 2002, but in 2001 we defeated both the Weagles and the Dockers over on their home turf. In 2000 we only had one trip over and defeated the Dockers.

I learnt some interesting facts (thanks Rhett :)) when I was updating the main page this morning.

Our win rate over West Coast is only 45.8 %, but the Weagles haven't defeated Richmond since Rd 20 1998!

Richmond are going for their 6th consecutive win against The Eagles.

I'm confident if the team plays at their best this will keep our recent dominance in tact.

(Ins should include DK in the next week or two ;) )

rosy3 said:
It's on Fox

Bugger! Double Bugger!

I can't go around at watch the game at my folks - they are St. Kilda supporters and will want to watch the Saints play!!!

Hey Khan, is that invite still open???? ;D

well this is a big game and a big test.

dont underestimate the eagles.....

the midfield is the key, we need to negate their leg speed and bottle it up, make it a scrappy game, this will frustrated the eagles who love a quick paced free flowing game, which they cut collingwood up with last week, the pies mistake was they tried to match them early and got blown away 7goals to 1, for anyone who watched the game last week.

our foward line is more potent then their backline and and our backline is the best in the league atm (points against).

Oh yeah btw i live in perth and i couldnt handle it if WCE win.. the media over here suck big time and the propaganda makes me sick.

Ill be at the game this weekend, shouting hard and loud for the Yellow and Blacks!!!

GO TIGES !!!!!!!! ****eat em alive****

Have a great time, hope you get heaps of bragging rights PRR. ;D

It would be great if you could write us a bit of a report on the game. Telly just isn't the same.

For one example I don't think the replay really showed the work rate of Darren Gaspar last week.

The way he makes position, runs his opponent around, gets through traffic, his decision making etc.

I've stuck up for Gas heaps of times on here, and I'll say it again, the guy is worth his weight in $$$.

no worries rosy,

ill see what i can do. I think Gaspar has been sensational this year, was down on form last year but this year he hasnt done much wrong at all.

Another player we need to keep under close attention is Chris Judd. Whilst he rarely gets big stats he has the potential to cut games up with a few touches. I know its a big ask, but maybe we should play Fiora on him. He's the only one i can think of that can match him for height and pace (unfortunately not skill).

I agree with PuntRaodRoar and Rampaging Richo that we have to bottle the game up and make sure its a clinch fest and its hard and tight. If we play like we did agaisnt the demons we will get exposed. They have too many quicks: matera, judd, sampi, kerr, embley, wirrpunda etc. If we play accountable football and do the hard one percents then we are in with a real shot.

With regards to the ruck, one thing i noticed Collingwood do quite effectively is to have a player jump over the top and punch the ball forward rather than relying on their ruckman to beat Gardiner one on one. Players of the ilk of Bowden, Cambo, Vardy, should all try this tactic with the throw-ins and bounces around the ground once in a while.

whichever ruckman that can have a bigger influrence on the game will go along way to deciding this match.
if you look at both sides midfields:
cousins vs johnson=even
judd vs coughlan=even
kerr vs cambo=cambo just
their fwd line:
matera vs newman=both in good form
emberley vs *smile*=*smile*.
our fwd line:
richo vs mcintosh=richo to fast
hall vs jackovich=jackovich.
krakour vs braun=50/50

both sides match up pretty well. like i said whoever out of staff and gardiner can have a bigger impact will play a part in winning the match.

TigersGoddess said:
DAMMIT! BLOODY COLLINGWOOD!!!! :mad:
Yeah good idea lets show 9th vs. 10th instead of 2nd vs. 3rd. Tell the lazy bums to go and watch the game live.

All comes back to this flawed TV rights agreement and the fact that Channel 10 picks it games 4-5 weeks in advance. I reckon they'd be "spittin chips" at the moment, while Fox Footy would be rubbing their hands with glee 2nd -v- 3rd. Most annoying thing is the AFL wont do anything about it because they are too busy counting the coins from the previously mentioned "flawed" agreement :mad:

while im one of the lucky ones to have foxtel.the FTA coverage by ch10 is an absolute joke.
ch7 at least showed both games on a saturday night even tho the 2nd game was cut short at times at least you got to see both games.
and what does ch10 have apart form games?absolute nothing[serious anyway]no panel show or teams.
i mean ch7 havt got the rights but still have talking football.
bring back ch7 quick smart.

johnson2richo2003 said:
bring back ch7 quick smart.

The good news is Channel 7 has the final right to bid for the next lot of TV rights. Hopefully, they will see that they need the footy and that a vast majority of Footy fans want the rights to go back to a network that actually does give stuff about the TV watching public.