Brisbane Priority Pick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brisbane Priority Pick

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
TheCan said:
Where was our hand outs 2008-2010 afl pricks.
Yes our time was when we were truly horrible, we were down the bottom and we got no decent picks because of the suns and giants .
I heard a Melbourne supporter complain yesterday. The same club that got a priority pick for Scully, pick 3 for Frawley and a massive financial payment which they spent on a $1 million a year coach. We have got nothing and no matter what we think of where we are now no compensation will be given to a club that made finals 3 years in a row from 13-15.

We should have got a pick 5 years ago and there is no excuse why we didn't

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
jb03 said:
If so, might be time to really *smile* the club up and start getting AFL to parachute in some assistance as well as paying for it.

Sometimes I really do wonder what the benefits are of us being 'financially independent'.

Personal opinion is that the AFLs main priority is in their Northern teams and we're just propping up their paths to success.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Not even a wooden spoon to speak of. Had enough, reconsidering my involvement.

Yep it's bizarre.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Sin and TOO very valid points.

We were a busket case when Hardwick arrived thanks to $Wallace.

But I clearly remember Gale mentioning that we were not going to apply for a priority pick or assistance. We wanted to stand on our own and that's when the Tiger Fund came into play and his vision of finals and 75k members if my memory is right?

But clearly Melb getting Scully as a priority, getting pick 3 for Frawley, AFL getting Jackson there and $Roos which we (as part of a viable club along with others) paid for it and those same supporters ring up talk back radio and whinge are so far off the mark it's laughable.

AFL forgets this club the Lions won 3 in a row, played off in 4 in a row but when Voss came he nearly destroyed the club. They lost first round picks, kids to other clubs but have made some bad decisions.

The AFL will always assist and help the Lions & Swans with their COLA (which they removed)and once the GC become a busket case and GWS finish their reign they will prop them up too.

The AFL through the Melb clubs , financially viable ones, which we are part of , have paid for these clubs and will continue to do so.

But good on our club which didn't ask for handouts.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Giardiasis said:
We're like the person earning less money by working then getting welfare.

Perfect analogy

What's the point if u can simply ruin yourself like essendon and be told that "the comp doesn't work without this club being strong, ra ra ra..."

Farce

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
So true LTRTR!

Essendon shouldn't be getting puck 1.

But we need a strong Essendon. Laughable. They haven't done too bad winning flags and tried to cheat !

Wouldn't be surprised if they trade their 1 to get 2 in the top 10.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL buys Etihad to benefit North, St.Kilda and the struggling Bulldogs. The Tigers have plenty of members and therefore don't merit assistance.

We exist in football's twilight zone.

Saladin

Better to fight for something than live for nothin
Oct 1, 2003
ordinary and nothing more unfortunately.

I am turning into a darksider. I just can't see how we will be able to turn it around at the minute... :(

ordinary list...ordinary coach..ordinary results...

For the first time in 30 plus yrs I have found it difficult to watch the tigers this year...

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
AFL buys Etihad to benefit North, St.Kilda and the struggling Bulldogs. The Tigers have plenty of members and therefore don't merit assistance.

To be fair those teams have been rorted for quite a while with the Etihad deal. I think it's good personally that AFL has decided to buy out Etihad.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Tigerlove love have to agree there!

Those 3 were losing money or possibly breaking even with the deals they had at Etihad.

AFL buying that stadium will financially assist those clubs into better deals, which will help their bottom line and make them financially viable as their membership numbers are not as high as member based clubs.

That will change for the Dogs in 2017.

Amazing what a premiership will do.

Hopefully Brisbane now will begin to become financially viable and the AFL will not be dipping into the pockets of others to assist.

There goes Eddies idea of bulldozing Etihad and building his Collingwood stadium!

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

This is the crux of the problem. Richmond was the first club to be sacrificed on the altar of expansion. Carlton, for all their bluster, have been right next to them for 15 years now. Collingwood and Essendon have protected themselves to some extent but they are locked in for the same fate, sooner or later.

The expansion clubs come first. Any support that they will have for the foreseeable future is fair weather support. As long as Sydney is playing in Grand Finals and have big name players like Buddy Franklin, they attract interest. If they start losing, they will be screwed.

Brisbane has just demonstrated that not even three flags will keep the wolf from the door. Again, support in Queensland is for a winning team, there is no love of club in that city.

Anyone who expects a different outcome for GWS and GC is delusional. As long as they win, they will be the darlings of the fair weather set, that’s it. These clubs will be helped forever.

Then we have the Victorian clubs with low supporter bases. They need financial support just to support. Having the Bulldogs win a flag has just saved the AFL a lazy few of million dollars. They played in four finals, took some extra gate takings home, won some prize money. Why give it to Hawthorn again? This is much better, the AFL saves a few bucks which can be shipped up north to help feed up their hungry babies.

Sadly, the role that Richmond, Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood will play in the extended AFL is to provide the core of the viewing audience, prop up the crowd at big games and finals and generate the income needed to fight the good fight in the Northern States. In return, they will get a few crumbs.

So sad.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
jb03 said:
They have won more Premierships this century than we have won finals matches in 34 years.

True, but we have been *smile* and needed priority picks too. When Bendover Gale came out and said we dont need AFL assistance I was shaking my head. Wish the AFL would appoint a new coach for us :hihi

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Tiger17 said:
ordinary and nothing more unfortunately.

I am turning into a darksider. I just can't see how we will be able to turn it around at the minute... :(

ordinary list...ordinary coach..ordinary results...

For the first time in 30 plus yrs I have found it difficult to watch the tigers this year...

I'm losing hope as well but all that means is I post less and less rather than rant at every opportunity and grasp at the pitiful straws offered by clearly incompetent board aspirants.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigerlove said:
To be fair those teams have been rorted for quite a while with the Etihad deal. I think it's good personally that AFL has decided to buy out Etihad.

Sure, but it's still a case of the AFL rescuing those clubs from their own poor management.

The only help the AFL's given us was Ian Campbell who almost sent us to the wall for a second time.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Sure, but it's still a case of the AFL rescuing those clubs from their own poor management.

The only help the AFL's given us was Ian Campbell who almost sent us to the wall for a second time.

We are damned if we do and damned if we dont as supporters. If we drop off like these other scummy clubs and crowds die, then the afl would just merge us or send us off to tassie.

The fact is we make the afl decent coin for little outlay and we continue to front up year after year to gleefully get the old fish in the face.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Jason King said:
we continue to front up year after year to gleefully get the old fish in the face

That's what it amounts to. Will fork out again for a membership but no longer feel obligated to attend. I could cop it when the playing field was closer to level, but no more.

*smile* Brisbane, I hope they go winless.