Bruce Lehrmann’s found guilty (to civil standard of evidence) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bruce Lehrmann’s found guilty (to civil standard of evidence)

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
I haven't been following the trial but who funded Lehrmann's case? I'm sure his lawyers weren't working pro bono and will be expecting payment.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Former Test cricketer Michael Slater hit with 19 charges over alleged domestic violence

Former Australian Test cricketer Michael Slater has been remanded in police custody after being charged with more than a dozen offences.

Slater, 54, had his case mentioned in Maroochydore Magistrates Court on Monday.

He was arrested on 19 charges relating to offences allegedly committed on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast between December 5, 2023 and April 12 this year.

The charges include domestic violence offences of unlawful stalking or intimidation, breaking into a dwelling with intent at night, common assault, assault occasioning bodily harm and choking or suffocation.

The former opening batsman and TV commentator was also charged with breaching bail.
Slater has been remanded in custody with the case due to be mentioned in the same court on Tuesday.

Big fall from grace. Might be having a spell as a guest of King Charles 111. Career,done.

Reactions: 1 user

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I haven't been following the trial but who funded Lehrmann's case? I'm sure his lawyers weren't working pro bono and will be expecting payment.
Kerry Stokes funded his criminal case via a private company of his.
Im not sure who funded his civil case. Whether it was a 3rd party (Stokes) or Lehrmann or it was a no win, no charge basis.
I’m not sure how it works. But I doubt this prick will have the wherewithal to pay much of the judgement.

He might have to work some extra hours as a masseuse somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Stokes definitely funded the case just like he's been paying for Lehrmann's living expenses.
which included brothel and class A drug expenses apparently. Is anybody surprised by this result?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Former Test cricketer Michael Slater hit with 19 charges over alleged domestic violence

Former Australian Test cricketer Michael Slater has been remanded in police custody after being charged with more than a dozen offences.

He was arrested on 19 charges relating to offences allegedly committed on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast between December 5, 2023 and April 12 this year.

The charges include domestic violence offences of unlawful stalking or intimidation, breaking into a dwelling with intent at night, common assault, assault occasioning bodily harm and choking or suffocation.

The former opening batsman and TV commentator was also charged with breaching bail.
Slater has been remanded in custody with the case due to be mentioned in the same court on Tuesday.

Big fall from grace. Might be having a spell as a guest of King Charles 111. Career,done.
Bloody hell

How many times is this now?

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
They mentioned on the radio that the legal team for lehrmann in this defamation case is the same one that represented roberts-smith in his defamation case. If that’s true, they’ll be lucky to get any more clients after these trials

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Leer-man has been too cute by half. When 7's Liam Bartlett said to Leer-man, are you ready (to start the interview) Leer-man responded with, "lets light some fires".

Well Leer-man, if you play with fire.......ya gunna get burned.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah. I am not sure it’s stokes. Surely his legal team must have gone into this expecting to be paid , unless they did a “ no win no fee" deal
Some reports in the media I read suggest he is indeed already in massive debt and has large legal fees to pay (seemed to infer, himself), is homeless with no job, and likely no realistic employment prospects.

He may or may not find himself criminally convicted in QLD. But regardless, a certain amount of justice is served in a roundabout way if all that I outlined in my first paragraph is indeed true. He may prefer to go inside to actually have three meals a day, a bed to sleep in and a roof over his head (sexual liaisons might not be totally to his taste, but I’d imagine would be pretty easy to find in there).

Or he could just top himself.

Leaving aside what a horrid, slimy character he is. One cannot stress how foolishly stupid he is. Perhaps blinded by a fog of extreme narcissism.

The judge’s backhander suggested similar. Having escaped the criminal justice system for now, on very grey grounds. He decided to go back for more, on a very shaky case. What an absolute *smile* idiot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
He’ll wind up with a paid gig on Sky After Dark with all the other nut jobs. If he escapes on the Qld charge that is.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
In hindsight, you have to say Lisa Wilkinson is a hero. She could have easily rolled over like the ABC did and settled out of court to risk a big payout. But no, she wanted to expose him in a courtroom. That was very brave and high risk. I’m sure Lehrmann and his team were also hoping to settle this out of court. His testimony was a massive trainwreck.

It also makes you think that Brittany’s alleged $2.4 million payout was probably unders. And she could probably use this to start her own civil proceedings… However, I doubt Channel 7 (or anyone else) would fund Lehrmann this time around.

In the washup, I would be very disappointed if Lehrmann, Linda Reynolds and Michaelia Cash aren’t facing perjury or contempt of court charges after this.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
In hindsight, you have to say Lisa Wilkinson is a hero. She could have easily rolled over like the ABC did and settled out of court to risk a big payout. But no, she wanted to expose him in a courtroom. That was very brave and high risk. I’m sure Lehrmann and his team were also hoping to settle this out of court. His testimony was a massive trainwreck.

It also makes you think that Brittany’s alleged $2.4 million payout was probably unders. And she could probably use this to start her own civil proceedings… However, I doubt Channel 7 (or anyone else) would fund Lehrmann this time around.

In the washup, I would be very disappointed if Lehrmann, Linda Reynolds and Michaelia Cash aren’t facing perjury or contempt of court charges after this.
yes and no

I always have concerns about this type of journalism for the same reasons I had concerns when Hinch ran his campaign of naming people subject to suppression orders who had yet to be convicted.

Whilst on one hand sleezebags may get what they deserve what about in the case of an innocent person? We have courts for a reason and the idea that someone can be named essentially as guilty in the court of public opinion before trial makes me uneasy. Firstly I don't trust our media but secondly it can also prejudice a trial, which is what almost happened with Wilkinson's award speech and she was rightly criticised by the judge for it.

This time it worked out but what about when it doesn't, what about when someone is innocent? Our courts and justice system are not perfect but they are what we have and I reckon we have to protect their integrity.

Reactions: 5 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Slater is a horrible example of humanity. Such a weasel. Can’t stand him.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
This time it worked out but what about when it doesn't, what about when someone is innocent? Our courts and justice system are not perfect but they are what we have and I reckon we have to protect their integrity.

Lehrmann wasn't innocent mate. He got off because of a dodgy juror and and Higgins wasn't up for the retrial.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Lehrmann wasn't innocent mate. He got off because of a dodgy juror and and Higgins wasn't up for the retrial.
Remember that when she did the Project report the court case hadn't happened and at the time of the awards ceremony the case was actually happening. Lisa wilkinson is not the judge and jury, nor are we.

As I said it worked out this time but it is the principle that worries me.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
So this piece of *smile* got free rent for a year ($4000 a month, even in Sydney or Melbourne that's a nice joint) plus $445k in payouts and all the blow he could snort? And is yet to meet the rough end of a crowbar?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So this piece of *smile* got free rent for a year ($4000 a month, even in Sydney or Melbourne that's a nice joint) plus $445k in payouts and all the blow he could snort? And is yet to meet the rough end of a crowbar?
Hopefully it's a case of short term gain, long term pain

Reactions: 3 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Remember that when she did the Project report the court case hadn't happened and at the time of the awards ceremony the case was actually happening. Lisa wilkinson is not the judge and jury, nor are we.

As I said it worked out this time but it is the principle that worries me.
Its interesting - I am listening to the "mushroom cook" podcast. They had the herald sun lawyer on explaining what could and couldn't be said and how the Australian system is different to the us one in regards to how presumption of innocence and how that gets enforced. It was pretty much that a bubble is drawn around the current case and you can't share anything outside of facts. I was quite surprised at how stringent this is. What I heard was..
- can't bring in prior complaints (e.g. you can't tell the jury an 8 time convicted rapist brought in on a rape charge has those prior charges)
- can't impugn the defendants character
- can't publish opinions
etc.

What you are saying Sintiger I agree with and my non legal interpretation is that Wilkinson completely violated these rules which seems to lack journalistic integrity.