BRUCE MONTEATH'S SON | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

BRUCE MONTEATH'S SON

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
The article below is on Bruce Monteath's son who is meant to be a gun and will hopefully be at Tigerland under the father SOn rule in a couple of years.....

OUTSTANDING young East Fremantle footballer Kym Monteath has his eyes
on an AFL career - not with one of the WA-based teams - but with
Richmond.

The 16-year-old All Saints College Year 11 student is determined to
follow in his father's footsteps.

Bruce Monteath played 125 games with Richmond, including captaining
the side to the 1980 premiership, 118 games with South Fremantle, 28
with Claremont, and represented WA 11 times.

"I hope to play with East Fremantle in the WAFL and then join
Richmond under the father-son rule," Kym said.

Kym Monteath was one of the stars in the East Fremantle combined team
which won the WA 16 years football championship.

He kicked 26 goals from a half-forward flank.

"It felt great to kick so many goals," he said. "But I had many good
teammates to get the ball to me.

"It is very satisfying being a member of a great team."

Required to play six games in a fortnight, the team, coached by
Monteath sen., was unbeaten.

Following the championships, six East Fremantle players - Monteath,
rover Alex Ciotti, ruck-rover Andrew Swallow, ruckman Mitchell Clark,
half-back Tyrone Miller and centreman Leigh Conway - made the 35-
player State 16s squad.

Between 1996 and 2000, 11 players graduated from the East Fremantle
junior district to the AFL.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Well done Boss. You should change your name to "Jungle Drums". ;D Will be very interesting to see how he matures as a footballer over the next couple of years.

P

Parker

The Boss said:
He kicked 26 goals from a half-forward flank.

"It felt great to kick so many goals," he said. "But I had many good
teammates to get the ball to me.

Sounds promising and would be good to get a quality young un for a 3rd round pick. Only thing is what type of player is he??
By the above looks like he is a flanker/receiver type.. Anyone from WA here seen him play and does he look the type who could adapt to the midfield or if he is a tall flanker perhaps if he grows a bit a kpp??

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
sounds like we could be facing some tough decisions in regard to father son pick ups in the next few years.

The Roach boys, the Raines boys, Kym Monteath, i think there may be another McGhie (Lachlan??)

Any know much about these kids or seen them play?

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
How does the F/S rule work if two come along at the same time? I think we only get to choose one and the other has to take his luck in the draft. I heard we might have this problem either this year or next (can't remember which sons were involved). A bit unfair considering we haven't picked up a F/S since Joel about 8 years ago.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
You are right MT potentially we would want to be drafting Raines 2nd boy and Disco Roach's son.
And as the rules stand ATM only 1 can be picked. However Headie Everywhere is lobbying for changes (as the pies want Shaws son and maybe another Cloke or something I dunno)maybe Sheed I think was onto it too, and from memory a few other clubs are more than a little disgruntled about the way the rule is at the moment.
So hopefully the rule will be looked at the end of the year after pressure from multiple clubs.

P

PuntRoadRoar

i agree, if the kids wants to play for richmond and he falls under the father/son rule then he should play for richmond.

its different if the kid never had any links with the tigers, then you cant manipulate the draft, but if these kids want to play for us, then they should be able to follow in dad's foot steps.

P

PuntRoadRoar

we should grab Raines... before collingwood and brisbane claim him, then try our luck with roach's son with our following pick.. but again we should really be able to pick both up if they both want 2 play for us.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
ATM only we are eligible to pick Raines 2nd boy as Raines only played 100 or more with the Tigers.
And of course Roach is the same.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
When I was a kid I spent a bit of time in the Bears rooms when they played down here (Capper Hardie Merret MacLure Mickan O'Keefe) that sort of era anyway Mark 'the serial FN whinger' Williams also played at that time. His boy used to come with him alot and I'd be guessing he would almost be at age where he could be drafted by either Colingwood maybe Brisbane or maybe Port... I wonder if he has any ability.
I don't care... I just wonder 8)

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Hopefully we can play in another winning grand final with Monteith on the bench until the 29th minute mark of the last quarter ;D

Fireman_Sam

A 'non-sexual' example of the 69 position
Feb 26, 2003
Wales
I'm just waiting for the progeny of those stunning sires Darryl Freame and Stephen Mount to be reared. ;D ;D ;D

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Dean3 said:
Will need a name change though. I flatly refuse to have a 'Kym' on the Richmond list.

This has nothing to do with this thread, I know, but I can't help myself.

Isn't there a song titled "A Boy Named Sue".

A father who knows he's not going to be around to see his son grow up names him Sue, so that he will learn to look after himself.

The boy eventually grows up and one day he is in a bar and sees this man who he goes up to and says "How do you do, my name is Sue, now you gonna die". :eek:

The man turns out to be his father. :eek: :eek:

Moral of the story: the young man decides that if he ever has a son, he's going to call him Bill or George ... anything but Sue. ;)

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
simple soulution:if we are faced with having 2 sons in the same draft then all we have to do is get one of them not to nominate for the draft until the following year.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Mark Williams' sons are still very young. Wont be around for a few years.

Hope they do change that father/son rule, i do understand it compromises the principles of the draft but still i believe it is good for football.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
johnson2richo2003 said:
simple soulution:if we are faced with having 2 sons in the same draft then all we have to do is get one of them not to nominate for the draft until the following year.

I agree that's an option J2R, but realistically it could seem a bit unfair too. What if the Club promises the 2nd son to draft him the next year and along comes a player type we really need so they select the other player instead and we can't select any more players or have others in mind? That will be unfair on the 2nd son who may have to wait yet another season to be selected.

There's a number of scenarios that can occur, but it would seem a bit unfair to make a player wait to be selected in another season and unless he really wants to play for that Club, then he shouldn't have to stand out for longer than necessary.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
MC24 said:
johnson2richo2003 said:

I agree that's an option J2R, but realistically it could seem a bit unfair too. What if the Club promises the 2nd son to draft him the next year and along comes a player type we really need so they select the other player instead and we can't select any more players or have others in mind? That will be unfair on the 2nd son who may have to wait yet another season to be selected.

There's a number of scenarios that can occur, but it would seem a bit unfair to make a player wait to be selected in another season and unless he really wants to play for that Club, then he shouldn't have to stand out for longer than necessary.
i agree mc on all matters and it would be hard on one of the boys to miss out on the 1st yr.but hey it be a lot harder if he ended up somewhere he didnt want to be.
hopefully it wont come to that

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
MC24 said:
Dean3 said:
Will need a name change though. I flatly refuse to have a 'Kym' on the Richmond list.

This has nothing to do with this thread, I know, but I can't help myself.

Isn't there a song titled "A Boy Named Sue".

A father who knows he's not going to be around to see his son grow up names him Sue, so that he will learn to look after himself.

The boy eventually grows up and one day he is in a bar and sees this man who he goes up to and says "How do you do, my name is Sue, now you gonna die". :eek:

The man turns out to be his father. :eek: :eek:

Moral of the story: the young man decides that if he ever has a son, he's going to call him Bill or George ... anything but Sue. ;)

I named my son Lachlan which means "the warlike" - so appropriate!